My Michael Jackson Thriller Zombie Bust

DangerRuss

Active Hunter
I was a big fan of the "Thriller" album, and went to his concert when I was 13. I attribute the "Thriller" video as being a part of my inspiration to get into costuming and props, so I thought it'd be fitting to do a tribute. I know it's not Star Wars but I thought you guys might be interested in what I was doing lately. Tell me what you think.
DSC02861.jpg

DSC02863.jpg

Wow DangerRuss, I always have been a great fan of your talent!

This one is simply amazing!!!

What did you make it of? Is it clay?

Please show us more progress pics!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow DangerRuss, I always have been a great fan of your talent!

This one is simply amazing!!!

What did you make it of? Is it clay?

Please show us more progress pics!
It's sculpted out of klean klay, a really cheap super soft oil clay mainly used for clay walls for molds. Not actaully the best material to sculpt, but I had it around. It's so soft it's hard, or easy to tool, depending on how you look at it. I didn't take many progress pics to this point, but I will take more of the final tweaking and of the mold.

Thanks guys for all your comments, I love hearing feedback. I'm not entirely happy with the hair, still going to tweak the stile and texture, and if I'm still not satisfied I'll remove it for a wig option.

Progress pic. I made some subtle changes to the face and now I'm working on the hair. The hair is very tedious. Starting with some extruded strands and blending them in. Looks like speghetti righ now but hopefully it'll turn out good. Also going to distress the jacket.
DSC02875.jpg

Unbelievable. Some of you guys scare me with your ability. Nice job.

I know this is pretty general, but can you share any basic technique/pointers when working with clay?

Unbelievable. Some of you guys scare me with your ability. Nice job.

I know this is pretty general, but can you share any basic technique/pointers when working with clay?
practice, pratice, practice. Learn your tools, learn the clays, and how to soften them. Some clay can be microwaved to soften them up, others can be melted. You can work the surface with 3m citrus cleaner and alcohol. The clay I used in this one is very soft and not really a good tooling clay. And always have fun.

I may have posted in one of your other threads about the same comment? BUT...

Dam man you have some skills bro!! (y)
I agree creep, but only coz you captured the look.

Whoah! Russ, nice 'thrilling' work bro!!! Cuse the corny line but it is very very NICE! Awesome job! You have mad skills bro!!!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back