Can I get your opinion about the gauntlets?

Thellmann

New Hunter
As most of you may know, I am scratch building my ESB Boba right now. I love the colors from the ESB, but I detest the visible flame thrower. I like the flame thrower box from ROTJ. Do you think it would be a Fett faux pas to add the flame thrower box and paint the gauntlets the ESB green? I would appreciate your opinion.

I wouldn't, but hey, its your suit man...do what you like the best. However, if you are going for 501st membership, your GML might not let you by without the correct flamethrower for the correct version of the suit. Other than that, if you like the box version better, do it that way!!! ;)

Hmm that may put a damper on things :( Does anyone sell a resin flame thrower for a reasonable price here? Ebay had one for $100.00 which was ridiculous, considering it probably costs about 10 dollars to make.

As Jango's kid said, if you want to apply to the 501st you need to have the ESB flamethrower... however you could make some system to exchange the flamethrowers. So, when you need go trooping with the 501st you can put the ESB FT, but when you're with your friends, in a non 501st event you can choose the ROTJ FT. :)
I would go for some kind of screwing system. I hope it helps.

I wouldn't, but hey, its your suit man...do what you like the best. However, if you are going for 501st membership, your GML might not let you by without the correct flamethrower for the correct version of the suit. Other than that, if you like the box version better, do it that way!!! ;)

x2

anyways... a good price for a resin one would be $40-50, aluminum somewhere between $100-150

at least, those are good deals. They could be more or less.

As far as your "cost ten dollars to make" comment. Maybe to make that one...but if someone sculpted something, invested in the mold, they're going to charge more to get money back.... YES $100 may be ridiculous for a resin one...as that instantly passes most of the cost over to you... but that's just how the hobby works.. No one really does charity...except Seven. who rocks I might add (y)

I would contact Man of war if you're not looking to spend that much, I'm sure he could hook you up with one under $60.

x2

anyways... a good price for a resin one would be $40-50, aluminum somewhere between $100-150

at least, those are good deals. They could be more or less.

As far as your "cost ten dollars to make" comment. Maybe to make that one...but if someone sculpted something, invested in the mold, they're going to charge more to get money back.... YES $100 may be ridiculous for a resin one...as that instantly passes most of the cost over to you... but that's just how the hobby works.. No one really does charity...except Seven. who rocks I might add (y)

I would contact Man of war if you're not looking to spend that much, I'm sure he could hook you up with one under $60.

I understand that no one does charity, but I feel that in a community like this there shouldn't be any profiteering. Just my two cents.

I understand that no one does charity, but I feel that in a community like this there shouldn't be any profiteering. Just my two cents.

BTW: Do you undersatnd how much time, effort, and material costs go into producing some of these parts?????????????? Believe me, nobody is making any extra bucks around here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW: Do you undersatnd how much time, effort, and material costs go into producing some of these parts?????????????? Believe me, nobody is making any extra bucks around here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do understand how much work goes into this hobby. But I'm sorry, but I feel that there is profiteering going on. You can argue as much as you want but that is my opinion. I know that if I was to sell armor, I would charge for the materials and shipping and not add an extra 50 dollars to it. I would only offer these prices to this community because we are supposed to be a community. But I don't want this to turn into a flame war, so if there are any other aggressive or argumentative replies they will be ignored.

KannE was saying that people don't simply crank up prices because they're greedy, they approximate a value based on their toil and artistic effort in creating a piece of art. Time = Money, as they say.

That being said, what exactly is wrong with someone making a profit on their hard work? As most people have said, that small margin of "extra" usually goes back into making new pieces. Who benefits from that? EVERYONE.

I am one that will argue some makers DO add quite a bit for their "toiling" and "artistic effort".

But Thellmann, as someone who has created runs, and sculpted, cast and produced items, the materials are BUTT EXPENSIVE! for a part that I charged 8 dollars for...I went in the hole, because I didn't charge more than what the part was worth. So granted, for an 80 dollar gallon kit of Resin, I made them 8 bucks a piece, but didn't factor in the silicone costs, which was bout 150 bucks worth of silicone... or the bad/warped casts that occured, so I had to get ANOTHER 80 dollar gallon resin kit. I mean, they really do add up, so I should have charged about 25 bucks a part instead of the 8, just for the sheer fact I could recoup my losses.

Yeah, the community appreciates it...but my bank account and the ability to pay bills appreciates it alot more if I recoup all the funds.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back