NEW LOGO

Art Andrews

Community Founder
Community Staff
Dear Fellow TDH Members,

As you know, we constantly strive to maintain relevance in an ever-changing medium that favors one trend one day and another the next. With that in mind, we are constantly refining and updating the infrastructure and back-end of this website to provide you with a great user experience, such as the facebook-style chat bar we recently installed thanks to the generous donation of terminal fettler. Here lately we have been giving a good deal of thought to reworking a bit of the front-end, and started by reevaluating our logo. In April of 2007 we rolled out the current look and feel for the site, including the “dent” logo. While this logo was the backbone of a new/unified look that gave us consistency for the first time, a lot of people didn’t identify with the stylized dent and felt it was too obscure and too difficult to relate to.

With this in mind, in April of 2009 we began the search for a new logo. Once again we primarily relied on Gino, who created our last logo, to head up the project and serve as the primary designer. While Gino gets credit for the final logo, as with all things great, a lot of minds came together to refine the ideas and to help improve the logo. The primary collaborative help for Gino’s work came from Rich D who constantly pushed the design to a new level.
We really pushed for a logo that would be quickly and easily recognizable, but also had a stylistic flare and could be identifiable as being TDH’s logo and not just a generic logo. While we have branched out, Boba Fett is at our core and Boba’s iconic dented helmet not only supplies this community with its name, but now also is the inspiration for our logo.

Over the past few weeks you have seen a few graphic elements on the board change, and in the coming weeks you will see a lot more. We have completely overhauled our front page to be much simpler and more inviting. Again, Gino helped with a lot of the branding and graphic design while Rich assisted on the graphic design and handled the coding.

While we implemented a somewhat unified board look in 2007, we are currently working on a new design which is not as heavy handed and will hopefully pull all the elements together a bit better and with a more modern look. We have a lot of work to go on this, so please be patient. When we are done, we hope to offer three themes, a light theme, a dark theme, and a work-safe theme.

Additionally, after Comic Con we will be rolling out new swag, including patches (for the first time), new coins, and of course, new shirts!
We hope you will love and embrace the new design as much as we do and we look forward to continuing to improve your experience here at TDH.
Once again, a big thanks to Gino for all his branding and graphic design work and a big thanks to Rich D for helping on a myriad of things, from graphic design critique to coding.

For those going to Comic Con, you will see the new logo featured on our banners and post cards!

new_tdh_logo.png

Also, as previously mentioned by Art, we have finally created a "Boba Fett" forum, merging soft parts, jet pack, shin tools, and blasters into a single forum and providing a more centralized forum to discuss Boba. At this point we are still leaving armor and helmet as a seperate forum as they get enough posts and threads to warrant their own forum, but at some point in the distant future, we may fold them in to the Boba forum as well.

It's a nice design and probably more iconic, but not as unique as "the dent". It reminded me alot of MC Chris when I first saw it. But that's just my opinion.

Hahah! There were actually some changes to earlier designs because some people said it looked too much like the MC Chris logo... The thing is.. there are only so many ways you can draw the front of the fett helmet! While in your minds eye the two might look similar, when you compare them side by side, other than being a stylized representation of the face of fett, I think you can see that there is little similarity. I might be a bit biased, but I think the TDH symbol is much more refined.

And for those who liked what I call the "flower-dent" our last design, we incorporated it into the new design! It is on the helmet!

mc_chris_vs_tdh.png

I think the new logo better describes who and what we are. Just a dent as a logo to someone who hasn't been on these boards before just thinks of it as a jagged blotch. The helmet will definitely show people it's Boba Fett.

Andy, you nailed it. We want newcomers to immediately know who we are and what we are about! A large segment of the prop community are in what I would call a "closed system." You more or less have the same faces circulating from board to board with little influx of new blood. We want to change that. There are over 12,000 searches a month via google for the term "boba fett costume" and I am assuming those aren't TDH members, because you guys are already here... That means on a MONTHLY basis... there are 12,000 ADDITIONAL people looking for what we have to offer right here!!! We are working hard to make sure those people are able to find us... and we want to make sure, when they get here, they immediately can identify with our branding. :) We really feel this new logo helps in that effort!

i think the new look and logo is awesome! the dent was, like was mentioned, a little TOO obscure. Some people i know that saw it thought it was a flower until i told them,then they were like OOOHHHH!. i think this design nails it on the first glance. I did like the stylized dent, and i think it works perfect on the helmet! Great work guys!

PS...STICKERS OF THAT STYLIZED HELMET WOULD RULE!!!!!

The new opening page rules EXCEPT the small lettering at the bottom? I cannot see it, and I am just guessing when I click to get access to the forums

1024 x 768 that's waht it's always been
ok so I just spent 40 min changing it to 1280 X 1024. now I can see the words. now I gotta alter something so the type is readable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the new home page, no likey the new logo.

Please don't jump down my throat anyone, but it seems a little too "charactery-cartoonish-gimicky", I have always favored the more serious, non-pop cultursih images (and yes, I am playful person at heart and I understand this a playful hobby and I have allot of fun here, don't take it the wrong way!), but the last logo definetely needed something else.

I actually kinda like the obscure references.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back