Starting my first Mando today

Thanks A'den
I checked out those threads and WOW that gave me ideas
I am feeling more confident and now im just trying to choose which material to make my bucket out of.

If anyone could tell me the cheapest possible way to make a sturdy bucket i would be in your debt :D

i've never made a scratchbuild helmet. but, the most successful ones ive seen were made from any material... poster board, cardboard, plastic for sale signs etc. the material wasnt that important. the fact that the interior and exterior were fiberglassed is what made them strong helmets.

once the exterior is smoothed, bondo or body filler putty is generally used to fill and unlevel spots or too make edges sharp then sanded again.

bocus jai built a scratchbuild helmet around christmas time with a bike helmet and 3mm sintra. it turned out quite nice.

Scratch built is the way to go! I start with posterboard, then fiberglass it, then bondoglass the outside, sand that all smooth, then reinforce the inside with 3mm sintra. VERY strong helmet at the end. Check out my TOR mando helmet build:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=32511

You can use the same process on a normal Fett style helmet as well. Works great. That lid there is my 6th helmet, and I have never had any of them break or even crack. And most have seen plenty of punishment.

Good luck!
:cheers
A'den

well the cheapest way is to buy the jango 2 pc helmet on ebay. cost about 25 bucks.
with a bit of work that costs nothing, its looks better than my jango vinyl 1 pc.

thats def. cheaper than buying cans of resin and fiberglass to glass over your cardboard sculpture.

well the cheapest way is to buy the jango 2 pc helmet on ebay. cost about 25 bucks.
with a bit of work that costs nothing, its looks better than my jango vinyl 1 pc.

thats def. cheaper than buying cans of resin and fiberglass to glass over your cardboard sculpture.

I bought resin, liquid hardener and 8 sq. feet of cloth for 15 bucks.

But I had a don post helmet to put it on. You would be better getting a rubies 2 pc or something similar to save time and then glass the inside if you so wish.

If you're going to scratchbuild, use the WOF templates and get a 1:1 movie sized helmet. If you use a Rubies 1 or 2 piece as a base, you end up with a smakker than 1:1 size helmet.

Or, buy a Mystery Helmet from Sgt. Fang. They're about $140.00 shipped. You just have to save your penney's.

the 1 and 2 pc fit people under 5'10" nicely....

the MSH are way to big for me. i'm 5'7. the 2pc is too big for several people i know. but they're 5'6

Wow u guys are great! Thanks a million!
You guys have given me a bunch of options and i appreciate it, EXTREMELY!

Im gonna start looking for the things ill need.
Since ill probably be shoping in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan ill have to see what i can get there. (Will probably find everything :lol:) Weve got places like Walmart, Cosco well pretty much all your basic stores :lol:

Ill get back to you guys as soon as possible with updates :)

Oh and I want to give a big shout out to all you guys who keep checking out my thread! Without you guys i'd be going nowhere! Helmets off to you my friends!

Scratch built is the way to go! I start with posterboard, then fiberglass it, then bondoglass the outside, sand that all smooth, then reinforce the inside with 3mm sintra. VERY strong helmet at the end. Check out my TOR mando helmet build:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=32511

You can use the same process on a normal Fett style helmet as well. Works great. That lid there is my 6th helmet, and I have never had any of them break or even crack. And most have seen plenty of punishment.

Good luck!
:cheers
A'den
I really like this way. I think its somthing i could do!:D
Josh if your reading this could you please PM me with exactly how you did this.
That would be great!!!

Well im going to use Josh's way. Im am in prep right now but once somthing worth taking a picture of has been taken. IT SHALL BE POSTED!

stay tuned :D

Oh and one more shout out. I want publicly say thank-you again to A'den Kyramud.
He has sent me on my way with the building of my bucket SO THANKS A BILLION MAN!

Helmets off to you my friend!
(y)

Hey Everyone. Im sure quite a few of you have been waiting for updates.
Well i had a bit of time on my hands today, but im sorry to say i havnt started on my bucket yet (still need materials, i am printing my templates on thicker paper but anyway thats for later :D)
I did though finish my Mando Sketch

I also drew a picture with my mandos Name in english and Mandalorian
with his clan emblem.

It will be a bit before i get the pictures uploaded (my computers being ornery and wont upload them :( but ill figure it out)

Well after a bit of tinkering with photoshop i was finally able to make the pictures able to be uploaded.

Heres the finished sketch of my mando (its only up to the waist because its mainly to show what extra emblems and stuff there will be) There might be more added on when i actually make my armor and bucket. :D

picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:
And here is my mandalorian discription
i know the name is crooked :lol: (i wasn't thinking i was ever going to upload this! So i didn't think it would matter when i drew it :lol:)

but anyways here it is

picture.php

Oh and one more thing

I dont know if anyone will want, but..... im willing to draw anyones Mandalorian sketch for them and or a mandalorian description (like above) for free.
If you would like me too, either send me a PM or post on this thread. :D

I am getting some of the materials i need today. So assembly should start tomorrow, I am printing my bucket templates on stronger paper so i can assemble it and later apply some bondoglass. We'll see how long this will take :lol:

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back