Pepakura clone helmet phase 2(comments welcome)

Trooper937

Jr Hunter
I have used a pepakura episode 2 helmet and used paper/card and found it to be preety good looking.I hav edited and changed a few features to make it unique and desided to used anything i can find.....wall paint,spray paint,some bits of clay and wall fillers.It is still irragular but looks like a helmet.No comparason compared to all the pro's who make helmets i can dream of making, but a good try.Pics will come soon.:rolleyes

Last edited by a moderator:
feel free to comment and plz give a newbie some tips...sf.

here.,but i require tips from pros.

12072009(003).jpg

How old are you bro? Don't be so hard on yourself. ;) I'm guessing this is your first attempt?

To strengthen the card build, you need to fibreglass the inside. Go to Halfords and get their "Davids" Fibreglass Repair Kit. It'll contain fibreglass tissue, fibreglass resin and the instructions to use it properly and safely. This will add the strength to the build you need before the next step.

Most people who use Pep go for Bondo. Over here in the UK it's just various brands of car body filler. THE EASY SAND type, not fibreglass compound as it's a nightmare to sand. ;) Work in small sections and don't mix too much filler as you'll end up with alot of waste which will cost you. Take your time, don't just slap it on. Try to smooth it over like spreading butter on bread. LOL! Try to keep to the flow of the lines/contours of the pep build as you go. This will minimise the ammount of sanding you need to do to get the proper finish.

I could go on really with loads of little bits of info but it would overload you. Keep to those basics and you'll be Ok. It's all a learning experience. There are plenty of tutorials over at the 405th forums too. ;) Also, look for T_Bone9600's Imerial Guard thread here at TDH. It's a pep build that is probably the best I've seen and shows what can be achieved with patience and dedication. AND TIME!!! :)

Sf for the advice mate.I've gone throught your site and seen your pep work..really impressed, but a little short of change at the moment.thks anyway.

wonder how other prop aer archeive the plasticy look from clay and stuff

wonder how other prop aer archeive the plasticy look from clay and stuff

With tools, not just hands. My favorite is the steel kidney, a round piece of spring steel.

I understand when money is tight. This is an expensive hobby. The rule is that you can have it 1) Good 2) Fast 3) Cheap. Pick any two.

Pepakura modeling seems to be the cost effective way to go if you can just print out the pattern on your home printer. You may have to do this a few times to get it the way you want it, but it is only paper, right?

Keep up the good work, and if you need some reference, go to Youtube and type in helmet making for examples.

More pics to review.After applying wall fillers and sanding it, i applied a coat of wall paint to try and cover the cracks.Thks for the comments.I will now buy some glass and resin,maybe some bondo and a primer. What paints do you guys use?

050120065301.jpg

050120065303.jpg

Done sanding the wall filler layer.Starting to regret applying the wall filler on the dome area without adding support to the hollow visor area as the whole thing is slopping down-wards making the helmet look squashed.Going to nip down to halfords for some bondo and fibre glass+resin.

The bottom of the 't' as you can see is cracking and flimsy.:facepalmHopefully the bondo will help.Thinking of fibreglassing the inside to add strength.(y)
P1030977.jpg
P1030976.jpg

Send me a PM with your email address mate. I'll email you something that will help if you're going to start over. ;)

Now to start fresh with a better designed peice..

I have that helmet! There are a couple more free pepakura files over at clonetrooper.net if you want more options. But skip's files are top notch if you want to go with his.
Nice job so far, keep up the good work!

After two days,the pep helmet(good one) is nearly finished.Just need to snap some pics.Will be posted soon.

nearly finished
P1030978.jpg

Finally done my first fibre-glass and resin peice.Just finished a few mins ago ad is impressed. However the layer of resin on the surface is sticky, after 2 hours of drying.

I'd say it's either the weather or you didn't use quite enough hardener. Mix up another batch of resin with more hardener and give it another coat. It'll be fine. ;)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back