Debate of EVO3s shirt design

I guess that i should post here to defend myself.

Ive been a member of the 501st for about 8 years now. my wife, almost just as long. The days of making every trooping event in my area are long gone. Life takes a front seat to all of that. The troops that i try to make without fail are the childrens hospital visits and i donate my time, shop and tools anytime they are needed for another member or any project thats used to raise money for a charity. I love the 501st and its mission. Its one of the reasons ive been around while many have come and gone. I also love building props. I used to do it for myself but branched out to molding and casting when people started asking for some of my stuff. I put a lot of time, money and sometimes blood, into the props i make. I have had one item of mine recast. I have a few other friends that have had their stuff recast. It flat out sucks. Especially if its done by another member of the 501st.

The 501st has it written in their charter that if one member is caught stealing from another member, then he should get ejected. Well, in my opinion when someone takes my hard work and pours rubber over it, that is stealing. I know that some people here will pull out the IP card, but please, spare me from that ****. If it wasnt for people like SGB, Pghfett, SB and a few others, the 501st would be full of Rubies Vader and TK costumes and thats about it, because thats all that the make. Its the people that are mentioned above that bring the 501st to an elite costuming club. They should be protected by the 501st.

Now i realize that the 501st cannot prosecute someone for recasting anothers work, but they can do what the Rebel Legion has written in their charter. Thats all i and a few others have ever asked for. I dont for a moment believe that this shirt will bring LFL to shut down the 501st. Please, its the 501st that keeps SW in the public eye.

The point of the shirt that we've designed is simple. The 501st says that they choose not to deal with recasters. Im sure it has to do with the fact that our helmets are not licensed. So how can they? Well, i dont believe their logo is Copy Written. It cant be because it has the image of a TK on it. Theoretically, it can go both ways then. Its just a point we are trying to make.

As ive said, i can respect everyones opinion here. I just ask that i get the same back. Theres plenty of people that i know in the real world that have differing views than me (over much more important topics than this) and they are still good friends of mine. In the end, no matter what, i still love building things in my shop, whether its just for me or to mold for others.

Thats all i have to say....... for now. ;)

then enforce the policy.:cheers

The policy also states;
"It is, however, outside of the scope of this club's mission, charter, authority, jurisdiction, and purview to consume our time and energies as a volunteer organization in efforts to prosecute those who, of their own volition, choose to engage in re-casting. "

Each individual (not the "group" as a whole) should enforce their own policy to whatever extent they deem plausible.

anyone else note the irony of using the 501st's logo to sell an an "anti-recasting" shirt?
EVO3 doesn't have the rights to, nor did we spend the time and effort to create the logo.

I fully support EVO3. Having seeing his work in person and meeting the guy, I can attest to his dedication, hardwork, and devotion to not only the proping community, but extensively for the 501st, especially for charity (y)

then change the policy like i said. because that is not good enough.
Not good enough for whom?
You?
if you don't agree with it, then renounce your membership.
if you already are not a member, then keep quiet about how other people run thier clubs.
that's be like me telling the Rebel legion how to run their club

Not good enough for whom?
You?
if you don't agree with it, then renounce your membership.
if you already are not a member, then keep quiet about how other people run thier clubs.
that's be like me telling the Rebel legion how to run their club

because i do not agree with every rule of the group means i can't belong to a group??

says who , you??

Yep, says me.

seriously though
If you have issues with the Legion, perhaps you should take those up with the Legion

If you've already done that and have not gotten a result that suits you, then it is possible that you might want to reconsider your membership.

my only point is, to me, its slandering the group. EVO has the right to his opinion, and i do agree recasters suck. The problem is, there will be recasters everywhere you go in this hobby, so singling out the 501st to me is wrong, thats all im saying. Im sure there are recasters not in the 501st...or on say...the RPF...what about them?...why single out the 501st? You can get your point across just the same by making an anti-recasting shirt that doesnt have ANY other groups name on it. A shirt with that type of design would of course include ANY recasters, including any within the 501st without offending the honest propmakers or members of the 501st. i would buy that in a second. Do you see my point here? By creating this design, you are singling out and slandering the group as a whole.
If you feel the policies are wrong, slandering will get you nowhere. Talk to people within the legion that can make a difference, explain what you just said to them, instead of throwing low blows. i whole heartedly agree with your views EVO, just not the idea of this shirt

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone else note the irony of using the 501st's logo to sell an an "anti-recasting" shirt?
Yeah I have been thinking the same thing.
Once again Darth V nails it and I agree with Sgt.Skirata no good can come from this thread.This is an issue that will never be resolved....especially here.

Wow, I was the founding member of Star Garrison and was CO for 10 years before I stepped down and became inactive because of how political it was starting to get. In my 10 years of leading and trooping, both in Star Territory and other Garrison territory I met literally hundreds and hundreds of great members, their families and friends and never met a member myself that was a recaster.

As someone who poured a decade of time, love and energy into that organization, I find the shirts (in my opinion) to be counter productive to what the 501st is supposed to be doing. Making a statement that 501st members support recasting is a blanketed and unfair to all the others that aren't involved in recasting and have their hearts in the right place with doing charity and community work.

I don't know all the parties involved so I preface this by saying I could be wrong but what it sounds like is happening is someone makes props and makes money off of them, someone in the 501st recast his work and now he wants the entire legion to pay for someone's actions? If so, that sucks but you dont blame an entire organization for choices of a few bad eggs.

well people do have their own opinion and evo is entitled to his form of art weather you agree or not its his right and jumping down his throat is being closed minded and unfair.......I've said my piece

Just for the record, this shirt isnt directed at all 501st members. I know there are plenty of members that support prop builders. It is mostly directed at the CS staff for walking the political fence on this issue. For Albin to say that theres no way he can find out whos recasting what is a cop out. I know where the recsters are. On the same note, each garrison knows if they got a recaster in their backyard or not. So gimme a break.

Again, if its so impossible to enforce discipline against recasters, then the Rebel Legion is doing the impossible.

I must admit EVO3 has a point here and I agree with Darth Voorhees. I still don't like the shirt but if it not one gets printed the message is out there that some members support a tougher stance on recasting and would like more done.

There must be some middle ground here?

For Albin to say that theres no way he can find out whos recasting what is a cop out. I know where the recsters are. On the same note, each garrison knows if they got a recaster in their backyard or not. So gimme a break.

Word (y)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back