Another set of female armor.

NovallTalon

Well-Known Hunter
Figured I'd post this up since I've been running a post on it over at Mando Mercs. This is another set of female armor that I'm working on. I'm using my modified Verhayc patterns as well as adding my own personal techniques for musculature curve on things like the backplate. I still have quite a bit of planishing work to do to this set before it goes to the buyer, but so far it's coming out really well. I think she will be highly pleased! I still have some planishing work to do to smooth them out a bit once they are in the finished shapes

The chest armor fits a C cup. I've done A, B, and C...don't really want to even think about doing D or up because that would mean readjusting the entire pattern. (sorry to all you ladies that are top-heavy, this stuff gives me blisters as is!)

In October I plan on opening a couple spots for female armor. If anyone in intersted, a medium suit (foot, shin, thigh, bikini cod, knees, stomach, chest, collar, shoulders, backplate) will run you around $650. A light suit (collar, shoulders, backplate, chest, stomach, bikin cod, knees) is going to run around $350. I also have female-sized gauntlet patterns, and those will run you around $250 for a blank set, and $350 if you want them customized.

I'm pretty much the only person in the world who makes tailor-made metal armor, hand hammered and fairly individualized forsale. I use 22 gauge steel for female armor, so it's light yet strong. For female gauntlets I use double layered 25 guage aluminum so those are also strong and light.

So anyway, there's my spiel...here are the pics!

pheonix armor.jpg

backplate1.jpg

backplate2.jpg

Backplate3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Worked on this over the weekend while the local Mercs clan was having an armor party at my shop.

So the backplate on this set is finished. Completely planished out smooth and finished up with a 220 grit heavy olive oil sand to keep out the rust and give the piece a nice finish for painting.

Started working on the cod piece before I left the shop. With this set (as with female sets that I work on) I leave a good amount of gap between back plate and collar armor, then close that off with heavy leather pauldrons for the sake of movement. I'll be using water buffalo hide (which is naturally waterproof) for the pauldrons on this set.

Here's a pic of everything so far.

DSC00192.JPG

Here's an update from today.

Shoulder armor completed. I took the standard Jango pattern and pulled about an inch out of the center for these. They will look a little long, but it adds to the overall amount of armor without physically adding armor. Down the center is a concaved flute for looks...basically that means that the metal has a nice smooth trench down the middle.

The pauldrons are my own design. My girlfriend's armor also has a set, but these I made out of 13oz water buffalo hide so it's weather proof.

I always leave the chest diamond till last. It's tradition for me, and I usually put my armorer's mark on the back of it. =)

DSC00190.JPG

I love the muscle curve on the backplate, very well done. Though.. it is armor made by our Mand'alor so.. .. you know.. Perfect =P

This is the cod piece, finished up lastnight. This one looks very similar to a Jango style cod. I have a special base pattern I made that I call the *bikini pattern*, because it's thin at the bottom and closer in the middle than a normal male mando cod. My female cod pieces also have no cupping action (no need for it, stick with whats practical) so ladies can move well and even sit down in it.

This cod is made from 3 pieces of metal: base , top plate, and rim plate.

DSC00191.JPG

You do some outstanding work Novall. Have you ever made an armor making video? If not, you should or at least a snippet showing some forming and planishing.

I've recorded some armoring panels that I do at local conventions...but I've never made an actual armoring video. I've thought about it, and probably will on the next set I do. I hold 2-3 armor parties a month in my shop teaching people how to do metal mando armor, as well as mando armor in general.

there are some on youtube by a custom mando. pretty in depth

That would Beviin Verhayc's youtube vids. The link for those:

Beviin (Lance) and I use the same technique for male armor, however our technique's for female armor differ a good bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
...and mine differs from yours i've noticed. so there are bound to be many other way to do it. def. check out this vids as well as contacting your local SCA peeps, they are bound to know other ways as well.

Here's an updated picture of what's been done so far.

The thigh armor is a mix between Jango style plates and my original female armor template. Basically I put the top of my original template onto a jango plate and decided they fit wonderfully together. The shin armor is my original shin pattern based off the Rav Bralor/Vhonte Thervo armor scheme.

I still have s little more tweaking to do on these chest pieces, and knees/gaunts (which are the most tedious part of the armor) are all thats left for this set before she gets a nice olive oil wire whip treatment for protection and ships out.

DSC00195.jpg

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back