Alien--Nostromo crew helmet

superjedi

Sr Hunter
Hi all!
I wanted to show one of my latest non-Star Wars acquisitions. This is an incredible replica of one of the helmets worn by the crew of the ill fated USCSS Nostromo in the original Alien film.
It was made by the very talented Steve Laboyteaux (Stephen210 on RPF and Propsummit) and I am thrilled to have it in my collection. Steve, along with his wife, are making replicas of the Nostromo spacesuits as well, but I'm just going to stick with the helmet.
These pics were shot in my den. Most are with flash, but there are some without, to show how different the finish is under varying lighting conditions. It was drizzling a little today, but when the weather is more prop friendly I'll try to get some shots outside in natural light. Here are a couple of overall shots.

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

The helmet is fiberglass with a very realistic patina finish over a bronzy metallic base coat. It's detailed with greeblies from old model kits, including a Space 1999 Hawk fighter, and some amazing photoetch parts as well.
Here are a couple of sections with and without flash.

IMG_1503.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

This is just a small section of that photoetch detail work. (It's just mind blowing!)

IMG_1497.jpg

The helmet is enormous! It's about 19" tall and 17" wide. It takes up a huge amount of space in my display room, but it's so worth it. :D
If the detailing weren't enough, it also has a complete lighting system as well. There are both exterior lights, seen here:

IMG_1493.jpg

and interior lights, too! The interior of the helmet is fully finished with vac-formed panels. There are two at the rear, beneath the two smaller lenses, and one large curved panel below the 'fishbowl' faceplate. There are two simulated boom mics, too. Here are the interior lights. This was a tricky shot to take! :wacko

IMG_1495.jpg

Overall, I'm just unbelievably impressed with the work that went into this piece. Steve's a real artist, and along with Richie (from Richie's armor) they've put together a masterful replica from a sci-fi classic.

HOLY COW! That's beautiful. That detail work is incredible. I love the patina, too. A lot of love went into that thing. I can't stop scrolling up to look at the pics.

wow, never seen this done before...never really looked...but that's sweet.

should get a second one to bust open and have a facehugger on there

SuperJedi,

Been following the projects progress on the RPF, it's been phenomenal!

I'll be picking up one of the complete environment suits in the Fall.

Congratulations on an amazing prop!

I can't stop looking at this helmet. :lol: It really is a remarkable piece.
Christian, you're getting a whole suit???? Man, the pics look amazing, and I'm sure it will look even better in person!

. . . Probably the coolest Captain since Shatner!

:lol: Awesome!

The weather was nice today and I had some time, so I took some better shots of the helmet. These are outside with indirect sunlight.
This gives a much truer representation of the colors.

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

Couple of closer shots. Greeblies! I love greeblies! :D

IMG_1511.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

Two interior shots taken from beneath.

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

I still can't walk past this helmet without stopping to gawk at it. :lol:

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back