Real Life Mandalorians

Status
Not open for further replies.

uniderth

Hunter
I'm starting this thread in response to a question in my other thread. Since I prefer that thread remain focused on the uniforms. This thread can be used for a respectful discussion and questions about real life Mandalorians.

Excuse me :confused.............not really too much you can say about something like that :wacko.

I thought the military uniform concept was interesting, but I don't think this is something to do in real life. Of course I've day dreamed that Star Wars or other movies were "real" because the monotony of everyday life can be boring, but it really shouldn't go beyond day dreaming. Anything more than that sounds like an unhealthy obsession.

I too sometimes imagine what it would be like if Star Wars were real. It's a fun thing to imagine.

Just out of curiosity, what would one do in this mandalorian culture? Declaring oneself as a mercenary is illegal soooo I'm just wondering what you would do. I'm sure people would rather hire former SEALs, Recon Marines, Green Berets, etc. to do this sort of thing....not some Star Wars fan.

I don't want to sound like I'm making fun of you, but I just don't think this is a good idea or a healthy obsession.

Kody

Well a culture is a way of life. It means doing things in one way as oposed to another. In America people knock on doors or ring door bells. In the Philippines people shout "Tao po" to get the resident's attention. In the Mandalorian culture people would live by the resol'nare. Our version is not the same as the Star Wars version. Instead of wearing armor we should wear Mandalorian clothing. Instead of following Mandalore we should do our duty. We don't have a Mandalore by the way.

For us the biggest thing is tha warrior attitude. Being a warrior doesn't mean being a soldier. Rather it means overcomming challanges, not taking the easy path. People still have to work at their jobs or go to school. Raise their families. We even ahve some Mandalorians who are currently serving in the armed forces in Iraq.

The, as I call it, Mando Ver'verd Akaan'ade(Mando'a for Mandalorian Mercenary Army) will be a Private Military/Security corporation. The legal name of this company would not contain the word Mercenary in it. It is illaegal to be a mercenary but it is not illegal to be a private military/security company. I think the emphasis should really be on the "Security" part of it. Since it would be very unlikely we would be hired to go to a war zone. Not to mention we aren't even trained for that. But standing guard at a compound or local event isn't something beyond our scope. As I said we have Mandalorians who are in the military. They have been invaluable in the skills they bring.

Hopefully this explains a bit more. If you have any more question feel free to ask. Yes I said that I want this to be respectful but it's ok if the term High Clam Lord comes up here. It's just so fun!

:lol:lol::lol: i'm sorry...but wow...and my wife thought i was obsessed...:lol:

wasnt there a song in the 80's, maybe early 90's...

"back to life, back to reality...." ?

i totally respect you, as a person, and what you might bring to this world, but c'mon man...Mandalorian culture? you are basing your existence off of a movie, man...i mean, its like, "hey, lets all go to Nabu, its nice during the summertime..." :confused

playtime is over, brother...this is about dressing up (which really, is kind of weird in itself), not a lifestyle or culture...:)

i'm sorry...but wow...and my wife thought i was obsessed...

wasnt there a song in the 80's, maybe early 90's...

"back to life, back to reality...." ?

I don't know.

i totally respect you, as a person, and what you might bring to this world, but c'mon man...Mandalorian culture? you are basing your existence off of a movie, man...i mean, its like, "hey, lets all go to Nabu, its nice during the summertime..."

playtime is over, brother...this is about dressing up (which really, is kind of weird in itself), not a lifestyle or culture...

It's not really about dressing up. I understand what you mean but it's not like we're pretending we're characters from a movie. It's not as if we think Boba Fett was a real person. Or that we think we can fly Slave 1. We are real people in the real world. We have found real principles that have real world applications. We try to live those principles. The fact that those principles were originally presented in a fictional format doesn't devalue those principles. It's no different than if we were trying to emulate the Spartan culture.

Now If I was running around holding a plastic gun claiming to be Boba Fett and I'm trying to find some bounties THEN I'd be weird.

The Mandalorian culture isn't just about clothing. It's about a way of life. It's about being a warrior. We aren't trying to be fiction. We aren't even trying to bring the fictional Star Wars Mandalorians to real life. We are trying to live a real world culture that draws influence from fictional works. In fact many Mandalorian found they were already living some form of the Mandalorian culture before they even knew about the Mandalorian culture.

Thank you for your comments FettDad.

waco, tx.

ruby ridge, id.

I'm sorry but could you please be more specific? Could you state why you believe those events are similar to the Mandalorians.

do you follow this then?...

The Six Actions (Resol'nare in Mando'a) were the central guidelines to Mandalorian life. They were:

Wear armor
Speak the language
Defend yourself and your family
Raise your children as Mandalorians
Contribute to the clan's welfare
When called to arms by the Mandalore, rally to his cause
Anyone who wanted to be considered Mandalorian had to live these actions daily, and anyone who did was considered Mandalorian. Mandalorians that didn't follow all the acts was considered dar'manda - someone who was ignorant of their heritage. The status of dar'manda was widely feared amongst the Mandalorian society.

wear armor: you've shown design for paramilitary garb
speak mando'a: please tell me you guys don't speak mando'a?
defend yourself and family: any man worth his salt would do this regardless
raise your children to be mandalorian: defined
"The Mandalorians (called Mando'ade in Mando'a, meaning "children of Mandalore") were a warlike, nomadic group of clan-based people consisting of members from multiple species. Often, they served as mercenaries and bounty hunters.

Their culture revolved around that of battle and war being a source of honor and pride in their community. The leader of the Mandalorians typically took on the title of "Mandalore." Mandalorians were frequently allied with the Sith, most notably Exar Kun and much later as a prototype for the Clone trooper under the power of Darth Sidious and the Galactic Republic, though they would not hesitate to cooperate with the Jedi if it suited them.

In later years Mandalorian Warriors wore very distinctive battle helmets with T-shaped visors that covered the entirety of their faces, which would provide inspiration for the helmets of the clone troopers. These helmets would eventually become strongly associated with the Mandalorian people."

is that the plan then?

contribute to the clan: i've seen he website, seems like you guys have a quasi-communist set up so i'm sure everyone does this
rally to the mandalore: do you have a real "mandalore" to ralley to his cause?

as for waco and ruby ridge... nothing to do with star wars... just an example of other groups that started different then the ended but were probably not the best idea from their inception.

I follow these:

1. I will defend myself and my family.
2. All my children will be raised as Mandalorians.
3. I will take pride in wearing clothing that represents my Mandalorian status.
4. I will always speak Mando'a to other Mandalorians.
5. I will help my Aliit to succeed and sustain itself.
6. I will always fulfill my duty as a Mandalorian.

Not all Mandalorians follow this version. But this is the one I follow.

wear armor: you've shown design for paramilitary garb

The designs I've shown are for use only by those employed by the MVA. Even then they would only be worn when on duty. Clothing that has yet to be designed would be used for everyday wear. It wouldn't be uniform like.

speak mando'a: please tell me you guys don't speak mando'a?

We do our best to speak Mando'a. But English is mainly used with a mix of Mando'a words.

defend yourself and family: any man worth his salt would do this regardless

Yes obviously.

raise your children to be mandalorian: defined
"The Mandalorians (called Mando'ade in Mando'a, meaning "children of Mandalore") were a warlike, nomadic group of clan-based people consisting of members from multiple species. Often, they served as mercenaries and bounty hunters.

The definition you quoted is for the fictional Star Wars Mandalorians. We do not fit that description.

Their culture revolved around that of battle and war being a source of honor and pride in their community.

Iw ould agree with this with one addition. Our battles and wars are not limited to those that are done with guns and bombs. While we do have some Mandalorians in the military. Most Mandalorians are civilians our battles and wars can be defined as trials and hardships in everyday life.

The leader of the Mandalorians typically took on the title of "Mandalore."

The Mandalorians as a whole don't have a single leader. I know one group of Mandalorins who do have a Mandalore but he is not the leader of all Mandalorians. The MVA is lead by a council of five leaders called Laamyc Aliit'alor.

Mandalorians were frequently allied with the Sith, most notably Exar Kun and much later as a prototype for the Clone trooper under the power of Darth Sidious and the Galactic Republic, though they would not hesitate to cooperate with the Jedi if it suited them.

I know there are those who claim Jediism as a religion but I am unaware of any who claim to be Sith. As far as I'm aware no real person called Exar Kun ever existed. We do not have any interaction with those who claim to be of the Jedi religion.

In later years Mandalorian Warriors wore very distinctive battle helmets with T-shaped visors that covered the entirety of their faces, which would provide inspiration for the helmets of the clone troopers. These helmets would eventually become strongly associated with the Mandalorian people."

We don't wear helmets, well I don't anyway. If a Mandalorian was to wear a battle helmet it would be a real one. Real helmets don't have T-shaped visors. The technology it would take to make a working version of the fictional Mandalorian helmet is well beyond our capability. We don't really concern ourselves with trying to look like fictional Mandalorians.

is that the plan then?

To do those things you quoted? Those are all about the fictional Mandalorians. We have our own history and our own future.

contribute to the clan: i've seen he website, seems like you guys have a quasi-communist set up so i'm sure everyone does this
rally to the mandalore: do you have a real "mandalore" to ralley to his cause?

Could you please be more specific about being quasi-communist. We don't have any regulations regarding the ownership of property.

As stated above we do not have a Mandalore. In the Resol'nare I subscribe to the "ralllying to Mandalore" clause does not exist.

as for waco and ruby ridge... nothing to do with star wars... just an example of other groups that started different then the ended but were probably not the best idea from their inception.

Yes. and there are lots of groups that start different and have been very positive.

GCNgamer128 said:
We wear costumes. I hope you guys don't forget that.

Yes there is a big difference between our groups. You guys are fans of the fictional Star Wars Mandalorians. You make costumes as a hobby.

We live a real lifestyle inspired by a fictional culture.

absolutly! and i don't want to loose the ability to do just that because others ruin the rep associated with the name.

Could you please explain in what ways are the Mandalorians ruining the reputation of the Mandalorian name? Also how would our actions stop you from doing those things you enjoy?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was editing my post when you replied. I also asked that this thread stay respectful. I would still like to know what your reasoning is in claiming I don't have a good grasp of reality?

How does being part of a culture influenced by a fictional one make a person lose touch with reality? I'm not claiming to be a Mandalorian from Star Wars. I'm not trying to be a character from a movie. I'm not trying to build Slave 1 and capture Han Solo.

I'm a 24 year old male working an overnight shift at a local TV station. I have a wife and a baby on the way. How does that make me out of contact with reality?

I'm a 24 year old male working an overnight shift at a local TV station. I have a wife and a baby on the way. How does that make me out of contact with reality?

Just out of curiosity, what does your wife think of all this? And does she speak english or mando'a? And will your baby be born with a bantha skull shaped birth mark?

Hahaha. I'm on my overnight shift. It's 2:30 AM here. I get off at 5AM. No school for me.

To avoid double posting I'll put this here:
Just out of curiosity, what does your wife think of all this? And does she speak english or mando'a? And will your baby be born with a bantha skull shaped birth mark?

She's made it clear that she's not going to be a Mandalorian. But she has registered on my forum. She supports me in what I do. She's amazing at sewing and likes to put together my uniform things and other clothing projects. She doesn't speak Mando'a but I've tried to teach her a few words. We mainly speak Taglish to each other. Taglish is a mixture of Tagalog and English.

Hahah skull birthmark! We'll see, but I doubt it. Our baby's a little girl and is expected to arrive on July 23.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was editing my post when you replied. I also asked that this thread stay respectful. I would still like to know what your reasoning is in claiming I don't have a good grasp of reality?

How does being part of a culture influenced by a fictional one make a person lose touch with reality? I'm not claiming to be a Mandalorian from Star Wars. I'm not trying to be a character from a movie. I'm not trying to build Slave 1 and capture Han Solo.

I think you have answered your own questions based on your previous posts. I know that you may think that us making movie costumes is on par with you making your little "religion," but it's not the same at all. I think if you stopped to read what you type in the POV of another (parent or guardian), I think you'd come to the realisation that your propositions and beliefs are ridiculous.

Why are you both still awake? Don't you have school in the morning?
ROFL!!

HAH!! Oh man..

while i was in the military, if i heard anyone babble the nonsense you just said on here, i'd make sure they made you a civilian again as fast as possible.....i think this is an example of what happens when you close the garage door and have a serious star wars RPG and listen to rush on your cars stereo..... unfortunately the carbon monoxide killed your brain cells

respectfully, a sane person

Hahaha. I'm on my overnight shift. It's 2:30 AM here. I get off at 5AM. No school for me.

To avoid double posting I'll put this here:

She's made it clear that she's not going to be a Mandalorian. But she has registered on my forum. She supports me in what I do. She's amazing at sewing and likes to put together my uniform things and other clothing projects. She doesn't speak Mando'a but I've tried to teach her a few words. We mainly speak Taglish to each other. Taglish is a mixture of Tagalog and English.

Hahah skull birthmark! We'll see, but I doubt it. Our baby's a little girl and is expected to arrive on July 23.

What about the baby birthmark? If your baby is born with the bantha skull then the gods of Mandoloria smile on you, and you may continue with your journey. But if she is not born with the mark, then no way jose, no mando for you!

Ps.. July 23rd.. first day for San Diego Comic Con, great day to be born on... Thats a sign you'll have to name her something like SDCC, just throwing out ideas though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back