WIP: Starting my Armor Today!!!

Thellmann

New Hunter
I am hoping to keep this post going with all of the steps that go into creating my armor. Tonight I went to Kinko's with WoF's templates (Much love to the Wizard) and spent 13 dollars on print outs. I have spent the last hour and a half with my X-Acto knife and some tape and here is what I have.

IMG_3371.jpg

Tomorrow after my doctors appointment, I am picking up two sheets of Sintra and coming home to start working!!! I am thoroughly excited by this, and I can't wait for Halloween to show this off. If anyone has any tips for a first timer, I would appreciate it

I went to the plastic manufacturing place today and got my 1mm and 3mm sheets of plastic. I got them home and stenciled out the chest armor pieces and spent 2 hours cutting and smoothing the edges with my dremel. Here's some pics
IMG_3375.jpg

Remember safety first!!!
IMG_3373.jpg

Finished Cutting and Smoothing
IMG_3376.jpg

After all that work, I pulled out a huge pan and boiled some water. The molding process was a blast!!!! I am pleased with the results.
IMG_3377.jpg

I think that this is enough for today. Any questions, comments, or constructive criticism is always appreciated.

nice work, i also doing mine outta sintra, when you get to forming you back plate make sure you go slowly or it will warp like crazy. personal experience.

Today I started working on my gauntlets. I am using my 1mm Sintra and this is a tough material to work with. Not to mention I am having to do pieces over again because of mistakes. I did notice that the spots I use the hot glue gun sometimes warps from the heat, but I am hoping I can cover that up with bondo. I stopped half way through the first one because I cannot figure out WoF templates, so any help will be greatly appreciated. Onto the pictures.
IMG_3378.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

IMG_3380.jpg

When I gave up I decided I needed to start working on my cod piece, so I cut it and molded it.
IMG_3381.jpg

I found out yesterday that I am going in for knee surgery again, so I have to get moving on this in hopes of having it mostly completed before my surgery. This way I know I'll have it for Halloween. So any advice is greatly appreciated, especially advice on the assembly of WoF's gauntlets.

Thellmann, I'll be starting on a set of gauntlets using WoF templates this weekend ( this will be the second set that I've made ), so if I can be of any assistance just let me know.

Well I was finally able to work out the problem with the gauntlets, and now I am almost done with them (I'll post pics tonight) I finally admitted defeat and bought a heat gun, which works wonders. Now I just need to pretty them up. Do I use straight Bondo? Any tutorials on this process would be greatly appreciated.

looking cool so far :D im gonna start my own soon found the templates, got most of my helmet done, almost ready for spraying heheeeee it is huge for my head though lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the length of time since my last post. I am almost done assembling the gauntlets, so I'll post those pics when I get there. I started my jet pack tonight, and at first I thought I messed up, but with a little cut here and some sanding there it is starting to come together. Here are the pics. I'll work on it more tomorrow.
IMG_3438.jpg

IMG_3439.jpg

Hey everyone. My internet was down for almost 2 weeks and do I have some stuff to show you.

I did some painting of my armor. It still needs a couple of more coats and then some battle damage.
IMG_3448.jpg

I also did some more work on the jetpack. I need to cut a couple of more pieces, do some bondo, and adhere everything.
IMG_3453.jpg

The back armor still needs some more work. I decided I need to cut some more off to stay true to the original. Once I do that, I should be able to finish the molding process to fit it properly.
IMG_3446.jpg

I am having some trouble with the gauntlets. I have them cut and glued. The bondo is not applying smoothly, and I end up with these recessed areas. I am guessing I need to keep applying and sanding to eventually get them to look proper.
IMG_3450.jpg

IMG_3451.jpg

I also started working on the knee armor tonight. I cut the piece and molded it. I didn't like how flimsy the knee dart launcher was on the WoF stencil (no offense Wizard, I love all your stuff) so I am making it look like the original with some modification and later some bondo.
IMG_3445.jpg

IMG_3447.jpg

Well that's all I have for now. I should have some more stuff in a couple of days. Input is always appreciated :)

All of your pieces look really good so far, and I do the same thing, I get frustrated or bored with something and start making something else. I think I have A.D.D. :lol:

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back