New members (spamming)

I really don't see the problem with people posting praise or compliments. When I was new here, I searched through TONS of threads and enjoyed giving compliments and still do. I think the only thing that is annoying some people is when a new guy posts "good job" on a thread that is three years old. When that happens, it may seem like that person is trying to get a higher post count. Even then, what is the big deal? This is TDH! This place is known for being a newb-friendly online community. Nowadays, people make a lot of fuss about this type of thing....what good does it do? It just makes em look like jerks.

**I'm not directing this at the thread starter. I have seen this sort of thing on TONS of forums such as the 405th Halo costuming site. Those guys can be down right hostile...which is why I have never posted there.

I agree completely about the at-a-boy comments! Totally do it I say! Everyone loves a little encouragement and praise for their hard work!!!

But the old post thing IS annoying. some of the members who's threads are getting posted on havent even logged in in three years! :lol: I like CombatBaby's idea. lock the thread, and if something important or relevent is to be added, give the mods (and perhaps the thread's author) the ability to bring it back. no harm in that, and it keeps those threads from floating around the top of the lists.

Just my 2cents
:cheers
A'den

PS- Happy Father's Day!!!

PPS- @Debbi... the way you stand up for things is amazing. I hope we (actually, i hope I) dont come off as crotchety. Just trying to make a more efficient system.:cheers
@all: I hope i dont seem like a newby hater. I'm still a MAJOR noob, and totally think that this site is the most friendly of all the forums I'm a part of! You all are the best!!! (y)(y)

after reading through this entire thread, i was hesitant to even say anything. :facepalm

but here goes:

I am new here, and i did introduce myself in my own thread...i can say that being new, at first i felt a little odd, maybe even sheepish to ask a few questions because i thought some would think, "you should already know the answer to that"...also, there are some areas where new people cannot post, which makes things that much more difficult...

i do post and compliment people on thier work, and i actually read through the entire thread to see how thier mando/fett/jango has progressed before posting...however, i do like to give people positive feedback and encouragment on thier projects :) therefore i am guilty of that.

as far as resurrecting dead threads, i could understand how that would possibly be considered aggravating...however, sometimes you have to dig to find a thread to discover inspiration for a femme mando (maybe we could have those stickied (sp?) or placed in another topic field (dont shoot me, or anything like that:p, just a little suggestion)???

i know that my post count is high for being new, but i work in a call center, and we tend to have alot of down time...therefore, i enjoy spending it seeing what people come up with when they let creativity take over... :)

the only reason i havent had a chance to even start on my own mando so i can post pics for critique, etc. is because i'm getting ready to move and do not have time to even start on such an endeavor :( (believe me i wish i did)...the only reason i make any mention of that is because i have a feeling that maybe some people may become upset when a noob doesnt right away start a thread about how well thier armor/bucket, etc is coming along...but if you are chastising (sp?) noobs for making posts that compliment people, etc, that would make those who have been working on project a little hesitant to post thier progress on here :facepalm...

sorry if i have upset anyone or ruffled any feathers, believe me i was in no way shape or form trying to rant or anything like that, only to give some insight...i do know that thus far everyone i have chatted with on here has been really awesome, and has answered any question i may have, for that i am thankful...hope you all had a great weekend :cheers

as far as resurrecting dead threads, i could understand how that would possibly be considered aggravating...however, sometimes you have to dig to find a thread to discover inspiration for a femme mando...

i totally know what you are talking about! but it isnt the digging for old threads that is the stated probled (im all for mining the forums all the back to this board's begining post to find info and answers); it is just when people uncover those ancient threads, find what they were searching for, then drop a "good going!" reply. THAT is somewhat irritating.

Hey just my 2 cents here but I feel that there is a limit to saying "good job".

Saying "Good Job" and "Nice Work" are vital for encouragement and support of fellow Fett Heads and their projects. Heck, I've done it myself. I do not think that the members addressing this issue are upset or annoyed with people making those comments. It is when you see a member post like 20+ times in an hour only saying "Good Job" or "Nice" is where it gets annoying.

If you have lots of free time and see 20+ posts you want to comment on, you could always say "Good Job, I liked what you did because...." That way you actually become part of the discussion and can maybe then in turn offer some helpful feedback.

But to address Nah'Ima, I don't think you have to post your progress right away. A Fett takes TIME and to be honest it is probably better to wait before you rush into it. When I started here, I had some armor and 1.5+ years later still am working on mine. I also don't have a progress thread up, but once it is done I will post a showoff. BTW it is looking like version 1 will be done by the end of the summer!!

So thats just my opinion about it.

Oh and to everyone new here.....WELCOME to the MADDNESS....I mean...the FAMILY!!!!

Cheers:cheers

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back