FPH, about to start.

Sixxgunn13

Well-Known Hunter
Hey Guys,

Well I think it's about time I start on my FP helmet... Halloween is around the corner.

I have a few questions on how some of you cut the slots in the back and visor area.

I've worked on 2 Sgt. Fangs and they are easy to cut sand etc..etc. due to them being resin but fiberglass with gelcoat is different story.

The reason I ask is when I drilled the holes for the metal ear pieces I had some chipping. Lets just say I don't want to run into any problems cutting fiberglass.

So if anyone who has worked on a FP helmet, any advice would be appreciated, also what tools did you use.

thx in advance.

For the keyslots, I used a tiny metal etching bit with a dremel tool. They really are about the size of a pin head, but cut really well. The last time I did that with a FG bucket, was an MSH2, but I imagine the FPH is very similar. You won't be able to get them completely strait, so After i had them cut out, I took a thin steel shim, and taped fine sandpaaper to it, then sanded smooth. Worked pretty good.

i haven't had a FPH but i've worked with fiberglass helmets before. I started with a dremel and finished off with filing....I don't think you should have trouble after that especially once you get primer on it.

I did the dremel tactic to cut them, and to sand them I used files from a $15 multi-file kit from Home Depot. I finished it off with tongue depressors /popsicle sticks, that I glued various grades of sandpaper to. It made it very easy to sand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I decided to pick up where this OLD post ended off...
Allot of new members on the board... I want to say Hello and welcome, this is the best Fett forum on the net.

Well,
Here are the pics of the helmet with all the openings finished, it took a while to cut, file & also sand the mold line.
enjoy... Click on thumbnails to enlarge pics. :fett:
Here is a front shot of the hemet with two of the aluminum ear pieces to see the over all shape.
fronttg.th.jpg

Here you can see how I drilled holes to start then filed it to the desired shape.
keyholes.th.jpg

Here I attached the aluminum ear to see how it would look.
sidev.th.jpg

next post will be starting on filling pin holes and bubbles In the gel coat with putty, bondo and a coat of primer.

Ill post more later

(y)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back