another supernerd: when was the first reference to "palpatine"

stormtrooperguy

Sr Hunter
As a kid, I knew that the emperor's name was Palpatine. But where was that first reference? When did they actually *call* him Palpatine for the first time?

I know some of the older westend (or was it Westcoast)??? sourcebooks for the RPG made mention of Palpatine...beyond that, I can't ever remember him as anything but the "Emperor" till the resurgence of SW interest in the early 90's with the "dark Empire" and Tim Zahn books. Definately didn't call him that in 83, but I was a pretty young kid at that time, and probably wouldn't have noticed anyway. I imagine that some of the original scripts or posibly the novel adaptations in the 80's made ref to palpy though.

I don't recall them ever calling him by name in Empire or ROTJ. Movie-wise, the first time they called him Palpatine was obviously Episode I.

It's in the PROLOGUE to the original noveliztion where the backstory was given explaining how the republic fell. The book first came out December of 76.

Correct, Yodakiller...in the original novelization, in the prologue...

"Aided and abetted by* restless,* power-hungry* individuals* within* the government, and the* massive* organs* of* commerce,* the* ambitious* Senator Palpatine caused himself* to* be* elected* President* of* the* Republic.* He promised to reunite the disaffected among the* people* and* to* restore* the remembered glory of the Republic.
**** Once secure in office he declared* himself* Emperor,* shutting* himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the* very* assistants* and boot-lickers he had ppointed to high office, and the cries *of* the* people for justice did not reach his ears."

"Aided and abetted by* restless,* power-hungry* individuals* within* the government, and the* massive* organs* of* commerce,* the* ambitious* Senator Palpatine caused himself* to* be* elected* President* of* the* Republic.* He promised to reunite the disaffected among the* people* and* to* restore* the remembered glory of the Republic.
**** Once secure in office he declared* himself* Emperor,* shutting* himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the* very* assistants* and boot-lickers he had ppointed to high office, and the cries *of* the* people for justice did not reach his ears."

Yes, very well done. Just to be thorough, that's paragraphs four and five on page one of the 1976 novelization. (y)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back