Full steel formed dished and welded helmet

i'm lucky that i have a 100 ton press at work and thats what my one piece dome will be done on once i get around to making a press tool. I have a cunning plan on useing a couple of steel pipe end caps to make the tool.

FMF

TD-4242 -- Good to know. :) Did you do right and left halves, or front and back halves? I'll probably go with 15-gauge, and if it ends up a little thicker than 16, hey bonus. :D

FMF -- I don't suppose you'd consider a run of one-piece steel domes? ;)

Really, the barrel almost makes itself, as far as bending and cutting go, but -- unless you have boobs and are making suitable chestplates -- the dome takes more dishing and planishing than any of the other armour pieces. A pressed piece would be an awesome alternative.

--Jonah

I updated the first post with some new pics. There is still a lot of swirl marks from teh sander that show up under flash a lot more than in reality. I have a few internal reinforcements that I have to do to make it combat ready, then I'll have to take it in for inspection.

Peregrinus: Actually I think the cheeks ended up quite a bit more difficult then the dome, at least to finish off. I used some of the templates found here for doing cardboard/styrene helmets to get the patterns.

Peregrinus I must agree with TD-4242 the cheeks do look a lot more work than the dome.

I may do a run,depends on how things go with my personal helmet.Hope to start my own post on the project when i get going.

FMF

put a gunblue on it using a blueing kit. took a quick video to show it off:

Decided I'm going to do a magnetic range finder. Still working on it though. I need to be able to remove it for combat so it doesn't get caught on anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might want to move this thread to the Mando variants section. I'm going to start posting the rest of my armor build here as well.

Here's the start of my shoulder armor

IMG00030-20090621-1707.jpg

couple more pics on the photobucket page

Wow, that must have been some serious work to make that. I thought it was hard enough making my armor out of aluminum. Dang! Great job!

Its funny I went to a local con and saw some SCA fights, I thought it'd be interesting to see some star wars inspired armor out there and here it is! Great work!

This looks very neat. Is it alot to carry weight wise, the complete suit? I struggle in a pair of jeans and a polo shirt on warm days so you must really feel the heat once your all suited up?

Well, I have worn star wars armor (Sandtrooper, Clone Troopers, BobaFett, custom Mando, etc...) in as much as 122F weather here in Phoenix and it is really not fun. That was a bad day to have the temp gage in the car as we were driving to the event. Luckily this is specifically for the Estrella War (SCA event) in February. It drops to close to freezing at night and is cool all day at this time of year here.

I haven't made much progress on this project yet, I decided I wanted to paint my Boba Fett helmet I've had sitting onthe shelf for about a year and a half now.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back