Boba Fett shoes - "I got it"!! (4-29-03)

Ok, these two images should settle the white boot/white elastic debate. If any can disprove that these pictures show a white boot with white elastic, please prove it otherwise. Remember, black elastic is just that, black elastic. And it should not have any white showing through. Now I am not saying how anyone's boots should be done, but this is how I believe the originals were done.

TK409: I think you are confusing dyeing with painting. I would not want to dye a pair of these boots either. But painting the boots would work nicely- just like the originals... ;)

MoM
boot_mom.jpg

AoSW
boot_AOSW.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Im thinkin that white painted would be the most movie accurate but then we will need to know the paint. Sounds like a job for Lee! Just kiddin Lee. Really though if we do get these made I think that canvas would be a must but I for one would rather have boots that are already colored rather than try to guess and screw it up myself. (Of course I will change my mind when I see how awesome someone else's are though.:))

OK, I see what you're saying about the white being painted rather than being dyed. Still, would you recommend going to the trouble of having a set of white on white boots built? And then leave it up to the buyer to paint them? ...An interesting option. Kind of like buying an unpainted/unweathered blaster and leaving it up to the buyer to do what they will with it AND offering an already weathered version. I could see that. I'm open to either one! (y)

Yeah baby!! Mardon's huntin' down some Fett boots!! You're on a roll mate, keep after them boots!

:D

I agree, Canvas w/ the leather piping. I'm drying to figure out which would be easier. Film boots aside for just a moment, would dyeing white elastic, while "installed" on the boot, have the potential for any bleeding into the canvas fabric? I'm thinking swabbing it on w/ a larger cotton swab.

Or, would drybrushing black elastic w/ fabric paint be easier?

Aaauuggh! It boggles the mind!!

Mardon, just settle this, find the exact match, and all will be well.

:D :lol: :lol:

Just kidding mate. Whatever you work out will be fine. I think we could just give people the choice of white or black if grey is not a possibility.

Sound cool everyone?

take care,

-Rex

Bountys Hunted wrote:

Film boots aside for just a moment, would dyeing white elastic, while "installed" on the boot, have the potential for any bleeding into the canvas fabric?
-Rex

Yeah, that's what concerned me. In the MOM photos above, if the elastic isn't black, then the "coloring" looks amazingly clean up to the seam without any bleed. I can't imagine it looking as good being colored after being installed.

Okay, I gave them a call & had the leather changed to canvass (which is actually jeans material) and had the piping stripes to black leather.
Worst, it has to be bleached - then dyed or painted grey. I'm not so comfortable with dyeing, so maybe water thinned textile paint would do....maybe?

Seeing some of the reference pics, it seems the grey color has blue hues on 'em, so maybe the jeans fabric bleached might be close.....painted might be a lot closer...just dont know.
Having a custom shoe custom fitted is one thing...getting custom colors is definitely another thing :)

Looking at Fett toys however......they would be best replicated in leather......hahahaha! :)

Mardon

Hey TK I am working that one right now. I wanted to wait until I get my finished product and then I'll post pics to be honest I don't feel like expliaing myself a hundred times over and I don't have anything in hand ;). I think the actual product will speak louder than words but I took a huge leap of faith and we'll see what happens. It will be custom boot but it is also the same boot I think the origianls were made from..techinally the boot is a known boot but it has to be custom made to have a pair I hope this makes sense. Stay tuned.

Lee

Clear as mud Lee but I think I get it. Its like a personalized name plate its a known item but it has to be made to order.

Mardon how sweet is this from the helmet to the JP now to the Boots all some of the hardest pieces (are there any easy pieces) of the costume. These are sounding pretty sweet, even if we do have to color them ourselves.

Thanks Tk-Fett!
Just trying to help out all our friends on this board...and merely making up the space I take up on this forum :)

Mardon

You've got to look at it this way:
Canvas shoes, flat soles. If these are some type of off the shelf boot, they had to have been flat for a reason. If they were meant to be flat, then we're looking at something that was meant to give maximum grip to the ground. Being that there is not much of a tread, it wouldn't apprea that these were made for rocky terrain. Indoors?
If it's indoors, then what? Basketball? Maybe. They have a high top to them. So that's another piece of criteria, ankle support. What type of Converse type shoes, made from canvas, flat soled with ankle support, from the 70's, are we looking at?
I'll have to cencentrate my search. Some type of athletic sport?
These don't look like something that you'd be wearing all day, if you've got a job that requires you to be on your feet. No? Being that there's some kind of ankle support, I wouldn't these are house slippers or anything. :lol:
Maybe we should concentrate on Converse type shoes, or even their knock-offs, from the 70's.
We also have to think about the square toe. If these are not fabricated by LFL, then the toes were probably already like this.
Kung-fu? Maybe something like that would have a squared off toe, so you don't poke the guy's eye out, with a lethal blow? Or would ankle support restrict ankle movement?

Looked up "Chuck's"
http://sneakers.pair.com/chucks.htm
Look at the bottom of the page, maybe this can provide some possible leads:

"Chucks" Have Many Unexpected Uses:
BAREFOOTING - One of my readers commented that wearing Chucks help in the transition from normal water skiing to barefoot skiing.
BOXING - Cadets at the Air Force Academy engaged in boxing competition wearing black high-tops.
CORRECTIONAL SCIENCES - One reader commented that the coach gave him three licks with the sole of a red low-top for goofing off in gym class. This is an example of a practice called "slippering."
CROWD SURFING - One reader commented that high-top Chucks are great for crowd-surfing... they don't come off as easily as some sneakers!
DISCUS THROWING - My older brother had a friend who threw the discus quite well; he competed in a pair of black high-tops.
DIVING - I got an E-mail from a Navy diver who told me they wear black monochrome high-tops... he said: "It's tactical, light and dries fast." However... Chucks didn't dry fast enough for Mark Thatcher.
FELONY FOOTWEAR - The court record of a murder case in Texas reported that a killer of two was upset because his Chucks were messed up. "I messed my Chucks up. I got blood all over my Chucks." He had an even worse day than that... he got a lethal injection in November 1999!
FOOTBALL - When I was in college, I remember watching Missouri play Alabama when I was in college. The Alabama quarterback wore black high-tops on artificial turf; in fact, the TV camera focused in on them while the announcers commented at length. Missouri fans got an extra thrill when the Missouri defense sacked the Alabama quarterback... his Chucks were not only upside-down but plainly visible above the fray. There was also a cleated Chuck Taylor Football Shoe in the 1960's.
MARKETING DRUGS OF ABUSE - According to the Police Department in the city of Pasadena (suburban Houston, Harris County, Texas, USA), the presence of a pair of high-tops hanging from a utility line indicates that drug dealers are active in the area.
POLE VAULTING - When I was in high school, one of our athletes did indoor pole vaulting in a pair of white low-tops.
POWER LIFTING - Jason sent me a picture from his AAU weightlifting competition where he wore black high-tops. He said they were better than what he had been wearing; a high-priced, specifically designed weightlifting shoe whose brand he did not mention. He turned in a second-place performance in his weight group.
RIVER RAFTING - His dislike of having to wear soggy Chucks while river rafting led Mark Thatcher to invent the Teva sport sandal.
ROCK CLIMBING - One of my many readers, Jonathan, reported that he wore Chucks when rock climbing.
SAILING - One of my many readers, Chris, told me that he has found that "Chucks were the best for sailing shoes. They had the best grip on wet canvas or wet Fiberglas."
SCHOOL, AROUND THE WORLD - One would expect Chucks to be worn to school in the United States. However, one of my readers wrote to state they were quite popular in Malaysia (where their dress code calls for student to wear white, Chuck-like shoes).
SKATEBOARDING - The biography of Focus on the Family founder Dr. James Dobson, "Turning Hearts Towards Home," includes a picture of his son Ryan stunting on his skateboard. Ryan was (literally) heels over head in a pair of black high-tops.
SKYDIVING - One writer tells me he has a friend who skydives in "Joker" Chucks.
SOCCER TRAINING - One of my readers wrote me about one of his friends who wore black high-tops to get in condition for the soccer season. He did mention that his friend might have been better off with a pair of cleats.
SPACE EXPLORATION - Look very carefully at the sneakers on the crew of Apollo 13!
SWIMMING - As far as we know, they didn't wear them into the pool (unless they happened to fall in). However, during the 1996 Summer Olympics, one of the American swimmers was seen poolside in a pair of Stars and Bars.
TRACK PRACTICE - I had a high school friend (Stephen) who ran track practice for high hurdles in a pair of white high-tops. It should be noted that Converse also produced a canvas track training flat with the "Chuck Taylor" name and signature. These were popular along with adidas. Both brands, surprisingly enough, shared a triple stripe motif. The trefoil adidas logo deterred the advantages of stripe copying; soon after it was adopted, the triple stripe Converse seemed to go away.
TUBING - One reader told me he wore Chucks when he goes out tubing (riding on a river on an inner tube).
VOLLEYBALL - One reader told me that (very recently) she wore black high-tops playing competitive volleyball in high school.
WRESTLING - More than a few high school wrestlers wore high-top Chucks on the mat before wrestling shoes became as developed as they are now. I'm certain some also wore the "Chuck Taylor" Wrestling Shoe.

Now we have to think, if it's one of these, which one would have use for such an unusual style?

Oh, I ain't done yet. I'll figure out what they are (IF they are). Just just that micro computer face, right Brak's? :lol:

hehe few of the things i was looking into are on that list.

Football boot - sqaure toed kicking boot ???
climbing boot - again sqaure toed

Steve

I've posted a link to these suckers before, but there was hardly any interest. Given the rennaisance of interest in the shoes, take a look at them and see what you think.

I've got a pair of similar Clarks boots that I've ripped apart just so I can fabricate a boot with an accurate looking sole.

Click Here to see what I'm on about.

Si

Nice work so far w/ dem shoe soles HH!

If, and it's still a if at this point, Mardon is able to pull off Fett boots, they will be totally custom made to your foot.

No size 11, etc.

An outline of each foot-
Measurements from over the top of the foot, heel,ankle, etc.

These would be truly custom fitted boots.

Lee's got something going too,so there may actually be choices one day soon.

Both of these guys are so Fett-detailed it's scary!

Keep your fingers crossed and send good vibes to both!

(y)

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back