Terminator Salvation

They weren't that well geared if you really look at it. They had outdated A-10 Warthog planes and normal assault rifles. The subs would probably have survived due to people being IN them during JD, then coming topside to see what the hell had happened, donating them to the resistance to use afterwards. Now had they had fleets of ships and thousands of planes, it would have been silly, but a couple of planes and a old sub isn't that far fetched. PLus this faced against Skynet which utilizes every advantage we USED to have, ie: internet like coms, robots, and tons of tech, makes humans far outclassed. And they were hiding in sewers and cars were mostly a no no as shown in the movie..

Based on the depiction of JD in T3 I assumed humans would have lost control over all military technology that utilized any type of computer, thus the subs and planes.

This could get complicated try to stick with me. In T1, Kyle said they had won the war, but skynet sent back a terminator to kill Sarah before John was born. Kyle ended up fathering John and the terminator was defeated, however it's arm and chip with whatever information it contained was left intact and found by what became Cyberdyne and developed by Miles Dyson. Then Skynet sent back the T-1000 to kill a teenage John, in response to which John sends back the T-101 to save John. Which is successful and destroys the arm from T1, and both the original chip and the chip inside the T-101's own head. NOw in comes books that were written after T2, to take place between T2 and T3. Apparently there was a clone company that was formed that had it's own research, remember Arnold lost his arm in the gear and never did go and get it back, leaving yet another piece behind. But part of these books reveal a terminator similar to the female in T3, who muses that much of the information Skynet had, it got from the Terminators that was sent back to this time. Well flash forward ahead to T:S, Skynet would have access to that same information and be aware of those attempts. Also the Sarah Connor Chronicles show that terminators were sent back in time in order to influence events to ensure it's creation, ie: give scientists nudges in technological discoveries, hording supplies etc... The resistence itself did it, when they had the builder of the bank go back in time and secure the components to the rifle Cameron built inside the vault. So basically actions taken in the future became events that had happened in the past.

Makes sense, but a little more development of how it ties together would have been good. I figured it could have been something along those lines of other Terminators coming back so that skynet has the knowledge, it just should have been addressed better. John says that this isn't the future his mother told him about; perhaps the machines advanced more quickly due to them sending more advanced technology back in time to further the advance of technology more quickly.

Based on the depiction of JD in T3 I assumed humans would have lost control over all military technology that utilized any type of computer, thus the subs and planes.

The early subs were pretty low tech and probably overlooked by skynet as a threat, which over all they didn't pose a threat, but made a handy mobile base. And the weapons would be hard to round up every assault rifle out there, so options are there, but limited to the lower end of the spectrum.

Makes sense, but a little more development of how it ties together would have been good. I figured it could have been something along those lines of other Terminators coming back so that skynet has the knowledge, it just should have been addressed better. John says that this isn't the future his mother told him about; perhaps the machines advanced more quickly due to them sending more advanced technology back in time to further the advance of technology more quickly.

This I agree with, it could have been better explained, I only kept up because I'm a book hound so I've read the stories as well. About the faster advancement, I'd have to say you're right on the money with that. Every time the sent one back it was better than the last, so it's natural to assume that with everyone sent back they'd see where that model's vulnerabilities and mistakes were and then make a new mode l without those faults. It's not the future his mother told him about because knowledge of the future changes it. His very actions to try to avoid that future affected how that future came about and how it was fought. It's like, if you know that 3 years from now, you're going to die in a car crash on Interstate 69., you're going to avoid driving on that interstate. That'd change the future so you wouldn't die on I-69, but you might still die, but just another way you didn't see coming.

Subs and planes don't contain hard-wired comms to the outside world unless docked. So it's possible that these types of vehicles would exist if not in an area of the initial nuclear attack. However, I don't see how they would conceal the planes unless they are using some sort of underground hanger.

They weren't that well geared if you really
This could get complicated try to stick with me. In T1, Kyle said they had won the war, but skynet sent back a terminator to kill Sarah before John was born. Kyle ended up fathering John and the terminator was defeated, however it's arm and chip with whatever information it contained was left intact and found by what became Cyberdyne and developed by Miles Dyson. Then Skynet sent back the T-1000 to kill a teenage John, in response to which John sends back the T-101 to save John. Which is successful and destroys the arm from T1, and both the original chip and the chip inside the T-101's own head. NOw in comes books that were written after T2, to take place between T2 and T3. Apparently there was a clone company that was formed that had it's own research, remember Arnold lost his arm in the gear and never did go and get it back, leaving yet another piece behind. But part of these books reveal a terminator similar to the female in T3, who muses that much of the information Skynet had, it got from the Terminators that was sent back to this time. Well flash forward ahead to T:S, Skynet would have access to that same information and be aware of those attempts. Also the Sarah Connor Chronicles show that terminators were sent back in time in order to influence events to ensure it's creation, ie: give scientists nudges in technological discoveries, hording supplies etc... The resistence itself did it, when they had the builder of the bank go back in time and secure the components to the rifle Cameron built inside the vault. So basically actions taken in the future became events that had happened in the past.

That was my take on it, but figured if I typed what you did I would confuse everyone :lol:. There is no way they could show you what the world looked like in the T1 & T2 flashbacks mainly because the army of marching Terminators were T-800. And the 800's were just coming into production in 2018. I'm hoping the next movie will be a nice filler, between the first and third with John Conner dieing and Katherine sending the modded Terminator back in time.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back