Official Thread - Stubby (arena) Jet Pack

Here is my jet pack in progress, My wife liked the stubby one best, something about the classic rocket size and insecure manhood... lol oh well, here are some pics. Its made entirely out of 1/8th sintra, 2 empty spray-paint cans,one 4" PVC pipe and 2 small funnels. It still has some work to be done and paint of course =)Enjoy!

jet pack2.jpg

jet pack_bottom2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy folks!

I'm in the final stretch for finishing my costume and now I need some help on finishing off
my scratchbuilt jet pack.

I was wondering which clear coat you guys & gals think I should use for the stubby...
high gloss or matte??

The blue is actually much darker & the silver much more subtle in real life...
damn digital camera flash! :angry

looking good!!
I would go with a semi gloss, I think Matte is the same thing..... That is what I used on my helmet and plan on using with the rest....
You need to dirty that puppy up first though!! :D
Lynn

Semi-gloss is glossier than matte. Satin is glossier than matte, too, in case anyone was wondering. :)

I don't know what I'd go with...probably satin, but maybe not, because sometimes a clear coat kills the shine of metallics.

I haffta say,I like matte finish for all my fett needs.Also are you going to weather the pack?

shawnpane- Yeah, I think tonight when I get home I'm gonna give the jet pack the once over with my metallic black & metallic gunmetal Folk Art paints. Still not sure though about applying the acrylic paint before or after the clear coat. Some people say don't do it...while some people say it's fine.

I'm so confused! :confused

Bear with me here.(No pun intended papa bear)To weather my jango helms.I have painted them chrome.Stand about 3-4 feet away and dust them with black.Then take A peice of 320 grit sandpaper.Get it wet,so your wetsanding.Just bareley sand the area.Keep A wet washcloth handy to wipe as you go.You might screw up A few times but keep dusting betwwen chrome and black.
With the sandpaper and the dusting method you will get A badass tarnished look.Then I use the matte finsh.Crysco.This might be easier with an airbrush.But I'm A tattooist not A painter.This method works great for me.I hope this helps you on your quest.GOOD LUCK.

I just got my jet pack and I am trying to findout what colors to use. I have tried to search the forms but I can't find my answer. (I am most likely blind, just ask my wife.) I think I also know what parts I need to convert from Boba Classic to Stubby Jango.

The colors I used are.

Cone and exhaust and the darker blue areas is: Rust-oleum Royal Blue #V7727

For the lighter blue I used: Rust-Oleum Satin Federal Blue #7725

And just regular silver for the silver parts. Rust-oleum also. :)

<image src=http://www.r2ro.com/images/stubby17.jpg>

I just got my Boba jet pack from Brad. I just now need to get the parts to convert it to stubby and paint it.

Seeker - what did you use for the 6 light blue sections on the sides?

asok - I didnt make that actuall jet pack. I got it from chacer44. I built it and paint it.

Mirax - No clear coat baby. I wanted the dull look.

But the darker blue had its own shy to it.

Again, if you didn't have to apply a clear coat, they worked better than mine. My colors were way too glossy so I used a Matte Clear coat on mine.

E-mail me. I have this detail.

Richie

If anyone's selling completed versions of EITHER type of jet pack, please let me know.

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back