TDH threads loading real slow - Help

VashDstampede

Well-Known Hunter
I'm not that computer saavy, but it seems that every thread I go to is slow to load and sometimes freeze for a minute before I can scroll or do anything. It's been real frustrating. It may be an easy fix, but I don't know how to do it.

I haven't noticed this on other boards and this is part of the reason I haven't been here much. By the way I have Comcast Cable internet.

Please help, so I can catch up on some reading and post some OT things I've worked/ and am working on.

Mods, I'm sorry, but I think I should have put this on the technical discussion forum.

It probably is on my end, so how can I fix it? It seems to be for long threads with pictures. My screen freezes for 30 seconds to a minute and I can't do anything until it finishes loading.
Again, I'm only experiencing it here. The RPF and other forums work fine for me and load quickly even those with a bunch of pics.

I have the same problem, and have had it for a looong time here on TDH. I believe it is because I am using Explorer as browser.

Same here. Happened using both IE 7&8. I have problems viewing some photos as well. (the ones that appear as little thumbs - the photos are just not there) The photos may be removed, but they are from recent posts.....

so it sounds like there's something with the visual style of the board that doesn't work well with internet explorer. i use a mac, so i don't even have the option of using explorer.

maybe try picking a different theme for the site to see if that helps? or just use firefox?

Same issue here for a very long time, never really bothered me though. I am going to have my IT guy set me up on Firefox to see if it cures my problem, as well.

Ah, found something that might be significant about the 2 browsers that seems to fit with this. Most of you are having trouble on pages with lots of pictures, right?

Internet explorer reads all of the code on the page, formats it, figures out how to display it, THEN actually shows you a page.

Firefox starts at the top of the page and renders it as it goes, which makes it look much faster.

Basically think of it like I was reading you a page from a book.

Internet Explorer would read the entire page of the book to itself first to get familiar with it, then start reading out loud to you. Firefox starts reading out loud from the first line. The net result is that Explorer just sits there for a few seconds while you wait.

The layout of TDH is more visually complicated than, say RPF, especially with regard to image attachments (which I don't think RPF allows at all... you have to host the pics somewhere else there, don't you?). So I could see that time delay with IE look pretty bad.

I also suspect that if one has a super fast new computer and a high speed internet connection it wouldn't really show up since it would be happening so fast.

I'll keep reading, but that seems plausible at least.

ya just upgrade to firefox. You'll be doing yourself a favor anyways, and after awhile you will never want to go back to IE ever again.

I know most of you probably don't want to hear "upgrade to another browser" but I can atest that Firefox is a much better platform and I think once you get used to it (which will be pretty quickly) you will find that it is faster and has more options. Google Chrome is also good but still has some kinks to work out. I hate that the only answer right now is "use another browser" but for the minute, if you guys can do that, we will see what we can do on the backend.

Beautiful! You guys are the best! Firefox all the way for me now, this thing is so much better.
Now that I can view TDH faster, I can finally catch up on what I've been missing all this time.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back