hi new guy,new helmet

momkeeman

New Hunter
hi all.
new here from uk
just made a full size Iron Man helmet and looking for help and advise for making a mould.
looks like a silicone mould with support jacket,but not sure?

27042009513.jpg

20042009498.jpg

hi all.
new here from uk
just made a full size Iron Man helmet and looking for help and advise for making a mould.
looks like a silicone mould with support jacket,but not sure?

Welcome but in this I cannot help you, I believe that Daz (Bobamaker) is the one, good luck!!!!!!!

Leo:cheers

WELCOME TO THE DENTED HELMET!

Your helmet looks pretty sweet bro! What did you make it out of?

As far as the molding goes, I would definitely use a thixotropic silicone. These types of silicones thicken naturally so they can be brushed easily. They also fill undercuts very nicely. I generally use smooth-on for high priority projects. Their rebound 25 silicone is one of my favorites because it is a 1:1 mix and is a brushable formula. For the mother mold, you can do a lot of different things. You can use fiberglass, trowelable plastic, plaster bandages, etc. It really depends what you have access to. IMO, trowelable plastics such as plasti-paste are the easiest to use for beginners. You spread them on like icing, and they cure to become VERY hard. You could also use fiberglass resin and cloth to make a very nice mother mold. Just be sure to wear a respirator and work in WELL ventilated places. Fiberglass isn't good for you. Plaster and plaster/medical bandages work well, but they aren't my favorite.

Well, there is A LOT more to it, but I think this will get you started. Don't hesitate to ask questions. There are TONS of experts here.

Kody

Hi there - I'm also a new comer - I can't really help you out with regards to a mould but I can say a big well done! That's a brilliant job - you must have much talent and patience! You'll soon have people begging you for a copy!

Thanks for the positive comments guys.the helmet is made from plaster and card and primed and sprayed.looking to make hollow cast resin copy from the mould.

welcome mate
mind if I ask more details on the WIP build?

(1) based on your own plans?
(2) modified off someone elses or a licenced helmet? Or was it a complete scratch build?
(3) some more piccies of the build up process and the completed project.

thanks

Hi again!
ok more info as requested..
Its a complete scratch build, no other helmets or lisenced replicas involved.
I started by taking a plaster bandage mould of my head (with the help of my girlfriend who thought it was all very odd)then i built up a clay helmet around that...then the problems hit.
1. the clay cracked
2. it was bit big
So i took mold of the cracked clay helmet in latex with a quick plasterbandage shell rather than loose the whole project to the bin.
then i sloshed plaster into the mould/reinforced inside with bandage to get a plaster master to work on.After messing about sanding and shaping i realised i could get neat flat surfaces by sticking thick art card to the various areas.when all dried I primed it and sanded it to the best finish I could, then sprayed it with car sprays.
For reference I used the web for photos and videos.
so here are some more pics of the bild as requested...cheers guys!

20042009502.jpg

26032009422.jpg

27042009508.jpg

right then some advise needed.please

could i make a latex mould reinforced with material to stop the mould buckling and bulging, obviously it would have a plaster support casing.
would it shrink?:confused

Hi been away a while but back now !
No won't be doing the whole suit due to time and finances.
I have now made the mould and cast a couple of helmets and will upload pics asap in case anyone is interested.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back