My gloves - Progress pics

Wow guys, thanks for all the great comments.

I purchased the gloves from: http://www.paradestore.com/main_frame.asp?g=GLOVES

They were the white cotton gloves with snap. I figured it was the closest thing to the real ones with the button.

Then I used RIT Black Dye. (buy extra pairs so if you screw up the color and make it too dark first time around like me)

It only took a very small amount of dye to get the color right. I think I put in about 1/2 teaspoon in around 1 gal of water.

For the white, it is just some white cotton that kinda looks like linen. It was around $2.00 a yard. I used 1/4 inch batting, but I doubled it up to make it thicker.

for the white part, I put the glove, layed the white fabric on top. Then I traced onto the white material to make my pattern.

Sew the white together like pillows, then hand sew them onto the gloves. I stick a big marker or something into the finger to help with sewing them.

I would say it took about 3 hrs (while watching TV) to do the one glove. Very time consuming, but at least you can watch TV while you do them.

Oh also for the lines on the main padding, I just used a ruler and lightly marked the lines with a pencil.

Hope this helps everyone out there. I don't think I will be making any more of these.

When I do the next glove, I will take some in-progress pics so you can see how they come together.

Thanks,

Chris

Great work, Chrima! Definitely on the right track to film-accurate gloves.

As far as the gloves on MoM and AoSW, I do believe the originals were most likely white and then dyed.

Thanx alot for sharing some of the details Chris, (You too Darth :lol:) Guess I'll have to takle this project again using better materials, thanx again:)
Damian

Thanks JK...that makes me really feels like this :D :eek:

And Chrima, by the way...REALLY IMPRESSIVE!!! My first impression was that they were S1's gloves...SUPER-DUPER AND AWESOME WORK!!! :cheers

Robert

Not to highjack this topic, but do the gloves look to be of the same material as the jumpsuit?

Glove closure.jpg

TK9120 wrote:

Not to highjack this topic, but do the gloves look to be of the same material as the jumpsuit?
No, other than they are both cotton. The gloves don't have the deep denim-like grooves in them that the jumpsuit does. They are just plain 100% cotton.

Keep in mind that some fabrics when you take a close look with a camera lens, it acts sometimes like a microscope, and it could capture sometimes stuff that the simple eye can't catch, unless we're at least 6"-8" between your eye and the object. The only difference here is color, and it's the same thing here like the camera lenses...just that the brightness of the object changes drastically from the real deal. And like one of the moderators said in a thread around...some monitors settings are different from each other. Like mine, that has a tendency of projecting a "greenish" tone to the scren (it came like that, it was a second-hand moitor).

Anyways...awesome job, and if you have time enough: think about making big $$$ in the near future (may I say Ebay???) :D

Robert

Hey, it looks pretty good to me! ;)

I will say, though, that I don't sew the cloth halves on the accents together. I pin them on and sew directly onto the gloves. I think that's what is giveing the distinct ridge around the edges of your accents.

It's a little more work to do it the other way, harder to keep the cloth halves in place while pinning them on etc., but I have always thought it was worth the extra effort.

The button closures on the other hand (no pun intended :D) have not been something I've cared to pursue since it's something that 99.9% of the people who buy gloves would not care about, and in fact would probably be disturbed about if it was there. Believe me, if you're going to be costuming, it would be a pain in the you-know-what to try and button your own gloves once you have them on. You'd need a second person to help with that, so to me it would be more of an inconvenience.

I will probably do one set of button closure styles for my display now that I have the correct accent material, but if I were going to be wearing them for costuming only, I would not want that feature.

Good point on that Slave1. Guys...have you ever seen a button in Boba Fett or Jango Fett gloves in the movies? Of course not! But the way some people want the gloves to have a button on them, it's just an obsession to own the "real" Boba Fett prop from the MoM exhibit or AOST. Please, I have respect for everyone, and I'm not criticizing here, please don't get postal at me ( I hope ). I'm kind of the same way as well. This was just a psychological view from everyone (including myself).

My vision is to obtain as much as accurate possible, but at least the parts visible from the outside of the costume, not the inside of it (nobody will know that but you!). Then to show it around to everyone to say -"WOW, that's Boba Fett from Star Wars!" for the people that know little about it, and then display it at home with a mannequin and to be proud of all the work and time invested in it (not to mention about the money invested as well)...like a scale model car or plane, but bigger...way bigger!! :D

Robert

Robert, believe it or not almost all of the little "details" are lost on most of the costumers--even a lot of people who consider themselves hard core fans.

I have had a few people who got their gloves and complained because the left hand glove's accent was smaller than the one on the right. They wanted to know what the deal was; did I run out of material or what? Did I accidentally screw up? Why was that one smaller?

My answer of course was that it was smaller because the one on the real gloves was smaller. Then I would provide pictures to prove that I wasn't just making it up. I'd get an "Oh, okay!" and then glowing feedback.

After a couple of times of that I added to my auction description some explanation about that. It has eliminated a lot of explaining later.

But I can just see putting the buttons in there and people emailing . . . "You know, it's great that you're trying to make these things like the real deal and all, but it's a pain in the neck to fasten these suckers once you have them on!"

Thanks Slave1 for the comments. I have always thought your gloves were the best out there (and still do). Just couldn't afford the price tag on them.

The gloves I used have a snap closure which will make them easier to close (since these are for costuming). The nice thing is that they have that same split on the end just like the real ones in the pic. Sort of a balance between usability and accuracy.

Yeah, the ridges around the end were the only thing that bugged me. Could be the way I sewed them to the glove. I whip-stiched the patches to the gloves. I am going to try a slightly different method with the other glove I still have to do.

Later,

Chris

Chrima wrote:

The gloves I used have a snap closure which will make them easier to close (since these are for costuming). The nice thing is that they have that same split on the end just like the real ones in the pic. Sort of a balance between usability and accuracy.

I've got some of those too, but have not used any of them, though they're dyed up and ready to go. I'll be interested to see what people think of them. As you say, it's a nice balance between usability and accuracy. It "looks" a bit closer, and is still not quite as hard to fasten. But the proof will be in the pudding as to how people will like them. They're still a little more inconvenient, and yet they look closer because of the slit.

And thank you for your comments too, and great work once again! I've been telling people for a long time they can really do these on their own if they are just willing to devote a little time and patience. ;)

Are the base gloves actually that short, or is it an illusion of the camera? I am wondering because I'm looking for a good base pair of parade gloves, but I'd like them to be a bit longer to start with.

Very nice job on the gloves, by the way! (y)

I don't remember if the OLD parade gloves (like the real Fett gloves) were that short and added a wrist gauntlet afterwards, but I remember that they had the button. As of the normal or new parade gloves, yes, they're actually kinda short.

Robert

man those gloves are right on....now the short glove is on the left side right? is that to accomodate the keypad sticking out? just curious...the gloves(well & boots, and knee darts) are the final parts to my costume...I am totally inspired by the glove making! I found an army surplus store here in seattle that has a few pairs of parade gloves in their counter, I'm gonna go check them out today or tomorrow!

I believe the original gloves were standard short length gloves- they sewed additional material to the base.

The left glove has the shorter padding on the back of the hand most likely to accomodate the lengthier gauntlet with the keypad.

This thread is more than 21 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back