Got an extra $30,000 lying around?

butterbean

Active Hunter
So, I am at a local costume shop today buying a viking helmet for a party (that is a whole story in itself ;)) and I look up in a corner to see the below pictured stormtrooper. My brain got to working and I wondered if they knew what they really had and, could I score a bargin here. I approach the clerk and say, "Is that for sale?". She replied, "maybe, for the right price. We would be talking into five figures." Pardon me?, I responded. I explained to her it was the Don Post statue. She told me, "See, this is prototype armor and it was actually used in the movie STAR WARS. Because of that, I could not let it go for less than $25,000 to $30,000". I took my son's hand and shook my head in disgust as we left the store. Without spending any money I might add. What in the **** is wrong with people?:angry

Sorry for the bad pic....cell phone.

stormy.JPG

wow... that is simply retarded :lol:
Maybe she got gypt out of her money... maybe someone told her that it was used in Star Wars... and she paid that much for it. Other than that or she was blatantly lying to you to make a sale. Its amazing how ignorant people can be... or just blittering idiots... Prototype used in the movie? really? :lol:

Personally - I just can't give the benefit of the doubt to people like that anymore. I think she's simply looking for a fool. There's no way she couldn't know what it's really worth being a merchant with the likes of Google on every computer, cell phone, or PDA. Anyone who operates a business will research what they can or can't sell an item for. Furthermore, she would have done so before she even took into her store. No one is that retarded. She's looking to jack someone's checkbook is all. It's disgusting to say the least :angry

Even to a collector, those things aren't even worth what they originally sold for (upwards of $10K). Realistically, mint with papers I haven't seen one go for more than $3800 in the recent past :lol:
FP

I'd go back, ask for some paperwork, and give her a reasonable offer. Like $1,500 and see how she responds.
Just to mess with her.

Remeber, you were checking if she thought it was worth less and trying to get a deal.

Hageling is one thing, buy when the factor of 10 is diffrent it is pretty stupid.

Nah...don't even waste your time going back to the store. Someone like that wouldn't even give an informed customer the time of day on that item. As was said, she's looking for a fool. Damned shame how some peoples brains operate.

I say this is a good thing as you can now buy an FX stormie stick it on a manny pose it up and take it in and say " this was used in the movie but i only want half what your asking" and see if she wants to buy it :lol:, i would guess you would make a slight profit :lol:lol:

But seroiusly dont waste your time going back dude

Steve

Actually the clerk was wrong anyway, I talked to Michael Foy himself and he said the suit was not for sale... period, only a display.

Actually the clerk was wrong anyway, I talked to Michael Foy himself and he said the suit was not for sale... period, only a display.

I think Mr. Foy should talk to his staff then. Maybe even educate them a bit before they run their jibs about things beyond their knowledge:facepalm.

quite possibly... Mike Foy does a great job at providing random odds and ends you can't find everywhere, but his staff doesn't always have the knowledge that he does.

Bean! I know what we can do! I will send you back the TK lid you sold me and you take it back in there and sell it to the fool for **Wait for it*** One BILLION DOLLARS!!!!! (I'll give you a cut, say $20???)

Bean! I know what we can do! I will send you back the TK lid you sold me and you take it back in there and sell it to the fool for **Wait for it*** One BILLION DOLLARS!!!!! (I'll give you a cut, say $20???)

YES!! We'll tell them FX Helmet stands for "FILM X-TRA" and ask for $52,749.62. Maybe a little more because of the adjustable helmet liner....

Someone needs to go in there wearing a set of TK armor, and say, "My dad bought this off of a guy who worked on set back in 77..." see how she would respond to that, if she doesn't believe ya, than say..."yep, about as convincing of a story that you gave me!"

Either that or walk in there as Fett doing something similar.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back