My DC-17m Build!

Skupilkinson

Active Hunter
Hey guys,

Some may remember the build I started last year of my DC-17m?

Here are two of the threads that show the early progress and my thoughts for it at the time:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=27052&page=2
Scroll down a bit for it. ;)

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=27401
My RC template thread.

Anyway, I'm working on it again now and wanted just one thread dedicated to it so here I am. :)

To begin, I plan on building all three attachments for this beast which meant me having to cut out the existing assault rifle attachment to make way for the "reveal" details that we see in between attachment fitting and removal.

Image1.jpg

I got to work on doing this today and it almost broke my heart! Even though I knew it would improve the build in the long run, it was a little hard to destroy part of the build. LOL!

Here it was this morning:
mail.google.com3.jpeg

Then after me going at it with the knife!!
mail.google.com2.jpeg

I didn't manage to make as much progress on this as I'd have liked today but spreading myself between commissions, kids and this is a little tricky. :) Anyway, I started to close up the hole that was left in the main body of the rifle before calling it a day:
mail.google.com.jpeg

More progress to follow as I continue with the build as well as design the templates I'll be using to build the Anti-Armor and Sniper attachments!!! :D

Thanks for looking guys. :)

Woh! This is going to be very impressive when you get it done. You're doing the sniper and anti-armor attachments as well?? WOW! I'll definitely have to keep checking in on this!

I remember you working on this! Very, very clean looking so far. Are you going to use magnets or snaps or something to make switching out attachments more fluid?

Skip I can't wait to see this fully done. Then again can't wait for the templates either. Great job as always mate.

Thanks a lot guys. :)

I was thinking of earth magnets for holding the attachments in place. I've also made the flip-up attachment lock a working part. Either earth magnets again to hold it in the locked position or maybe some sort of snap? Not sure there yet.

Also, in that last pic I posted, you can see a recess in the new cover plate for the "reveal" area? That's in preparation for adding lighting there.

Yesterday, I managed to spend most of the day working on this. Though in the pics it may not look like it. LOL!

Most of the time was spent sanding corners and edges, smoothing out the seams and what-not. I also added more to that reveal area at the front, just need to fill and sand there now. I closed up the butt of the stock too and just need to add a little detail there.

I also started to build the rear grip. I had to make a lot of extra support here seeing as this is where it'll be handled the most. I don't want any chance of it crumpling from being handled too much. I actually got more done on the grip and trigger guard after taking these pics, it's all closed up now with support. I'm just waiting on some half round styrene rod for detailing it. I also need to sand edges and add a little more to detail it and beef it up a bit.

I also thought I'd get started on modelling the other two attachments later? Just getting ready for building them. ;)

Anyway, here are some pics.

5.jpeg

6.jpeg

7.jpeg

8.jpeg

Ok, I know this is a double post but it's an update.

The grip still has sanding to be done on it but I can hold it correctly now and get a proper idea of how it feels.

Apologies for the pic of me holding it, my daughter took it so it's a little out of focus.

10.jpeg

11.jpeg

12.jpeg

It's not glued into place yet, I didn't want to do that undil it was complete. I may need to add more reinforcement yet.

I used the ingame editor this morning to grab more reference pics of the sniper and anti-armor attachments too so I may start modelling them today??

Also, I'm looking for advice. I've been approached by a few people now about the possibility of me doing a run of these down the road. Well I'm still not sure about that but if I did, I'd like to use rubber.

Not knowing much about casting in general, I wondered if you guys had some advice on the rubber to use and where I might get it here?? It'd be good to know a little more about it before deciding what to do.

I've heard the term "Hyperfirm"??

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks buddy, I appreciate the input from you. ;) I'm thinking of rubber though just because it'll be more durable.

What about suppliers for the UK? That's where I am so it'd be nice to be able to get supplies from here.

This morning I updated my original model of the deece to match the changes I've made to my build. This is in prep for the new attachments I'll be doing soon. Like the deece, I'll be modelling them in 3D, then using the templates I create to build them in the real world using styrene again.

Not much but a pic of the new changes to the model.

Image1.jpg

Got the Anti-Armor attachment modelled ready today. From this model I'll make 2D templates to build it from. Looking forward to that though there's still plenty to do on the build right now.

I made zero progress on that today as the kids are off from school for bank holiday and the wife's been ill, hence the 3D modelling today instead.

Some pics for you guys:

Image5.jpg

Image6.jpg

Image7.jpg

Image8.jpg

As always, any feedback, comments or critique is always welcome. Talk to me guys!! :)

smooth-on has distributors in UK. just look on the find their site.

It's coming together ggreat so far. Wish I had your talent :)

So, will you offer the modular parts as a separate file for those of us who already have your Deece model or will we have to get the whole thing again?

By the way, that build is looking SWEEET!

Thanks guys,

When they're ready yeah. Though you'd probably have to rebuild the DC-17 base. I've modified it to accept the different attachments.

If you built it using styrene or something similar then you could modify your build the way I did. Though if you used card and fibreglass then may be better off building from scratch again.

Started the sniper attachment:
Image10.jpg

Image12.jpg

Image13.jpg

Image14.jpg

Image15.jpg

Just a quick post guys. I finished the modelling of both Anti-Armor and Sniper attachments. I haven't created the templates from them yet but soon. ;)

Looking Great Skip! Can't wait to get my hands on these templates! :D Just about finished with the bondo on the Boushh helmet, hope to post some pics in the next few days, depending on how lazy I am/how long it takes me to finish. lol Keep up the awsome work dude!

Thanks buddy, I may get to work on those today or tomorrow?

Get some pics up! ;)

Got a little detailing done yesterday, I'm waiting on more material to keep going. Ignore those screws, I was trying something out. I'll be using something more fitting than screws there.

13.jpg

Update, this may be cast and produced as a kit. I have a thread over at CTN and there is interest so we'll see how it goes.

Yesterday I finished some areas, sanding here, trimming there. I also dry fit the main grip to check it was Ok. Then I had to cut out a section to make a recess in the blaster for the ammo display, LEDs and power source. I'd been talking about the FX kit but the problem was, the size of the open space needed for it would make for a very flexible prop as we're hoping to use rubber if it gets cast. My buddy who'll be doing the moulds and casting felt that the space needed for the FX kit was too much for the rubber and we didn't want to try a vac form approach for the deece. Also, being rubber trying to get a switch down to the trigger would be a nightmate I think without compromising rigidity(is that even a word?). You wouldn't want your deece wobbling in your hands would ya??

So, for now, we've opted for an open area inside the deece that would be big enough for a basic light effect. Meaning you could light the area we see when attachments are removed, even light the little light toward the upper rear part of the deece, have a static light display for the ammo counter and also have some sort of power connection in the ammo magazine slot to feed power through to light a mag when inserted. Did that make sense? I find it hard to put things into words sometimes?? The cover plate for this we're thinking can be cast in resin and held in place with earth magnets?

Anyway, I'll post some pics of the work done. The cut out area needs alot of clean up and filling yet, also I need to fabricate a box if you will to clean up the recess for the lighting bits and bobs. It's a mess in there right now and needs to be made much more mould friendly. The back of the coverplate also needs clean up.

Coverplates2.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

23.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back