Weathering process

brokenboba

Jr Hunter
Hello,I am asking around to see or read rather painting processes that give the chipping effect, Blaster marks and the general rusting/metal under paint look. I have the following sprays. Hammered silver, Hammered black, Flat black, My choice of red, Satin clear coat. Most of these are the newer 2 fer 1, as in more paint coverage with less spray. I have wire brushes, Files, sandpapers and those groovy dremel sponge sanding wheels. I am painting my bucket , some of my plates and my leather boots. Thanks all!

one of the coolest strategies for this effect i have seen on these boards are to do a basecoat of the 'original metal' silver, then applying liquid paint masking to the areas you want to look battledamaged, then spraypainting the main colors on top of it. When you remove the masking, you get battledamage! I'm sure its a little more complicated than this ;) but ive always found this method of doing it to look awesome when it's done well :)
Hope this helps!

Were would I find the liquid paint masking , I have not seen it since I was a kid doing plastic models and then I got it from a friend and it was kind old to boot. Is there a prefered product that our fellow dented use? I do like the idea it sound awsome. Thanks for the tip.

You can get it at most craft stores either Jo Ann's or Michaels in the craft paint section and you are looking for Winsor Newton masking fluid if you are going for a layered look on what you are painting. As for weathering I have not hit that part yet as I am still painting the bucket. Also you may want to look at getting one of these as it helps in applying the masking fluid instead of using a brush http://www.misterart.com/g768/Colour-Shaper-Painting-Tool.htm and getting the no. 0 angle chisel as it will help in getting the detail.

Good luck:cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back