Rub-N-Buff

Actually, I'll post pictures of how it is now first so you guys can see what I am talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shockwave, I totally know where you're coming from....Soju and I have fought with rub 'n buff for weeks...we tried everything...sanding, primering, over and over, and over...layering...nothing worked....it DOESN'T look like dirty, damaged metal...it just streaks. We tried rubbing it on with different things...fingers, soft cloths, rubber gloves, tissue paper...no luck. Then we tried brush and leaf...that didn't work, either...it really looked just like the chrome spray paint we'd used before, and would streak if we didn't paint it on all over the armor before it dried, which took about 3 seconds...we've given up. So if you do figure out how to get it looking good, please, PLEASE let me know. Good luck.

aerin19 wrote:

Shockwave, I totally know where you're coming from....Soju and I have fought with rub 'n buff for weeks...we tried everything...sanding, primering, over and over, and over...layering...nothing worked....it DOESN'T look like dirty, damaged metal...it just streaks. We tried rubbing it on with different things...fingers, soft cloths, rubber gloves, tissue paper...no luck. Then we tried brush and leaf...that didn't work, either...it really looked just like the chrome spray paint we'd used before, and would streak if we didn't paint it on all over the armor before it dried, which took about 3 seconds...we've given up. So if you do figure out how to get it looking good, please, PLEASE let me know. Good luck.

Wow! I'm very surprised by how many have had problems with Rub-n-buff. I wonder if maybe there are some old tubes out there or what??? Honestly, if anyone wants to send me something to rub-n-buff for them, I'd be happy to try it for them.

Okay everyone, I worked on it more before taking the pics because I only had limited time, but I finally got it!

These are the 3 things that ended up helping me.

1) Although there is often debate on whether or not Rub n Buff dries, one thing that I think was a big factor was the time between the coats of Rub n Buff. Yesterday, it was looking crappy and uneven. When I say uneven, I mean flat in some areas, shiney in others. I went to bed mad. Tick tock tick tock. Then, tonight about 24 hours later, I did another coat (thanks Mirax!) and although it would not even out last night, it DID tonight.

2) (Mirax! again :) ) Use a tiny amount at a time. I thought I was using a little before, but realized that I was using too much tonight. I squeezed the tube JUST to the point that it started coming out of the tube...barely....then put that on my index finger and blended it as wide as possible. Very thin. Then, when it was fully spread, I used soft tissue to buff it out. That coat from yesterday now seemed like an important base, and these thin layers went on well. If you use your finger and it clumps up at all, you are using too much. Huge thanks to Mirax for the help and to SEEKER for posting his helmet (that helped too).

3) The base....surface prep sanded with 220 grit, primered (Krylon grey) and wet sanded with 320 grit, then top layer with the Krylon Dull Aluminum #1403. I had to order the Dull aluminum online because I couldn't find it anywhere (well worth it). I used three other types of paints before this base, and this was the best for sure. Any of the other metallics or silvers gave me problems for one reason of another.

This first picture is of the second paint I tried and the first picture I posted here. Looks cool as #$%@, but it ended up being too thick, too shiney, and NEVER dried.

shockfett_helm1.jpg

I ended up striping it all the way down again and did the primer with dull aluminum. Here it is with the Rub n Buff. A few things to say...the colors are slightly less saturated in these pictures then they actually are. Also, the Rub n Buff is NOT as even as it looks in these pictures, but it looks very good now and like SEEKER said it shouldn't be perfect. Also, yes SEEKER, I know it needs weathering. I'll make you proud in that :) , just wanted to get some pictures up. Okay blah blah here are the pictures!

shock01.jpg

shock02.jpg

shock03.jpg

shock04.jpg

More to come! Thanks again to all of you for being on my side.

Hey shockwave, glad you got a result after yesterday's worries.

Looks really good!

I did spend a couple of minutes thinking either my eyes or my screen were screwed, though. I'd forgotten you were doing a custom and thought they were the worst Jango Blues I'd ever seen :lol:

Looking forward to seeing the weathering!

Get some sleep!

Si

It looks fantastic! I'm so glad you didn't give up. I had a feeling that the "uneven" look you were talking about was what I had until I recoated. So glad it worked for you! (y) (y)

Be sure to buff real good where you are going to apply the pinstripes or it won't stick well since Rub-n-buff is a wax.

As for the brush n' leaf, I used it all over my new helmet, and gauntlets. The only time I used RNB at all, was to fill in any spaces that the BNL didn't cover.

ShocKWavE, your helmet is awesome so far. :cheers
I tell you i was starting to get worried because i planned on using R&B on my armor and helmet. Now after hearing all the advice and seeing you figured out what the problem was and fixed it to make that sweet helmet, i'm getting more confident. ;)
awesome job man (y)

Thanks for the all the comments and advice. I can't wait to work more on it. BountyHunter185, be sure to mess around with the Rub n Buff on some test material a few times so that you get a feel for it's texture. Also, the test material should be prepared as your parts will be (including drying time). Just my opinion. It can definetely be a pain in the @ss to work with, but I was lucky to get the feel for it last night.

Oh and don't forget, if you had any areas where masking tape was, be sure to clean them well. Eventually I was able to make it all blend together, but those tape lines were mad news and not immediately evident.

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back