English Zam starts her costume

Hi Everyone,

I'm just about to start my Zam. I want to say a big thank you to everyone on the forum who has been very helpful in getting me started. I couldn't do it without the advice here on the Dented Helmet! Also for all the exhibition photos which have been brilliant help :)

I'm going to be making the suit, bodice, skirt, gloves and belt myself. However I wondered if anyone could PM me who could make the helmet, greeblies, weapons and other accessories? I'm happy to paint up and weather eveything myself as I would like a colour and tone continuity with the purple.

So far I've sourced the lycra covered neoprene here in the UK which is white and 1.5mm thick. I'm dyeing samples at the moment to make sure the fabric doesn't seperate from the neoprene. If this is not successful there is a shade of purple in the swatches which I'm thinking of airbrushing to get the correct colours.

I'll keep you posted

Cheers!:zam

There are a couple of people who make the greeblies, helmet, etc. MonCal and JDFett are two of the main sources. You can PM either of them for more information.

Welcome to the boards! Good luck with the Zam and ask us questions. This is the BEST community for getting help on a very complicated costume.

Deunan

It is a slow process... I'm telling you! :lol: Keep us updated on how your fabric dyeing is going, I'm curious as to how that works out! It might be an alternative to other brave souls who want to try it.

Hi,

I've done some initial dye tests on the neoprene. It seems to take the dye quite well and so far the fabric hasn't come away fom the neoprene base. The biggest problem with the neoprene I found is it is quite matt compared with having a lycra covered version. I'm looking at different pigments and airbrushing to create a sheen without effecting the purple colour or making it too metallic. I'm certainly learning a lot on the way!

I'll post photos soon..........:zam

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back