Outsiders Perspective on Trooping with 501st

TK Fett

Well-Known Hunter
Hey guys my buddy, just started getting into his blog really big. He went to a 501st event with me last week and wrote about it. I thought it was an honest and humorous view point from a fellow geek but costuming outsider.
http://www.tommyghall.blogspot.com

Last edited by a moderator:
he can be, he just has this insane love for ewoks and feels it would be wrong to betray them and become an imperial.

I think his comment about not being able to join the 501st wasn't so much about his love of ewoks as he is not as obsessed with Star Wars as us, I.E. he likes the movies but not enough to go around in a plastic armor suit to show it.

This kinda brings up a good question. Do you guys make storm troopers and fetts because of your love of star wars or your love of costuming?

I havent use my Boba.... I did my Vader a couple times.

I have seven different costumes, but i rather have them in my mannequins... (i think)

I think his comment about not being able to join the 501st wasn't so much about his love of ewoks as he is not as obsessed with Star Wars as us, I.E. he likes the movies but not enough to go around in a plastic armor suit to show it.

This kinda brings up a good question. Do you guys make storm troopers and fetts because of your love of star wars or your love of costuming?

My friend Dave who started the group down here with me, has been into Star Wars costuming a good time before me and he is not even a star wars fan. He got into the costuming scene because he liked the Biker Scout armor and decided to do that for Halloween one year and then helped start the 501'st group here. He has since done a few other sets of armor just because he likes the look of them.

Honestly, at this point, simply for the love of costuming, I haven't watched any of the Original Trilogy in probably over a 2 years.

I wear my costume to ight pain and suffering and all to put a smile on a childs face.

Granted I am also grinning the whole time and yes I do attend cons but that is my avenue of enjoyment.

Well, for me, I love costuming... But I only costume things that I really enjoy. Boba Fett is one of my favorite characters from Star Wars (and yes, I am a huge Star wars fan haha). So I do it for both reasons. I love to costume, and I love Boba Fett.

El1te

I got into it after a while of soul searching. I was thinking of the kind of person I want my daughter to be, and how to kind of teach her life lessons like compassion and giving of yourself to help others. I had no clue how to do this, as I didn't want to simply donate to a charity and go "See this is charity and we help others this way." I wanted something that she could physically see. I had already ordered my Fett suit simply because I saw a stormtrooper in a youtube video and was looking for one for myself, but decided on Fett when saw the unfortunate and ill fated SFP advertisement for theirs. While waiting for it to arrive, the 501st did a Make A Wish charity event at my local mall. Seeing the effect they had on the local crowd and especially the children, as well as they raised about $1300 that day, I decided that once my Fett got to me, I was going to join. I applied and promised to make the upgrades to my suit and was approved. Since I have attended tons of events both solo, and with my daughter in tow. I have helped raise a ton of money for charities and have been lucky enough to have been blessed with many smiles and thanks of thousands of children. My garrison have become a second family to me, any of whom I'd help in a second. Personally even though I have been a member for a little over a year, I feel that I can never give enough back to equal what I have gotten from both my garrison and the public. Some call us elitist and snobish, but it doesn't bother me. I still feel a huge surge of pride when I get to tell someone that I am a member of the 501st and what I get to do as part of it.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back