Weight Loss Motivational Thread!!!

tubachris85x

Well-Known Hunter
I remember awhile ago, like when I first joined here, that a member put something like this together and it really worked out. Unfortunatly, I wasn't a part of that thread...so I am now making this

I think one of the hardest things about getting into shape, whether it be weight loss or building muscle, it has to be finding a good motivation.

For myself, I want to go into the National Guard..however, despite being another motivation for me, it's not my strongest motivation (For other reasons)

I have to say that my biggest motivation right now, is to do a particular costume, that of an anime character. I've never ever in my life wanted to do an anime themed costume (I have nothing against those that do!) But this one just stuck out with me and I have it dead set in my mind that I'm going to get in shape, work out and get as close as possible to this character's body form as much as possible

As of right now, at 6'6" tall and WAS 309lbs roughly 3 weeks ago, I am now at 281lbs+-

I want to see post from people that are in the process and those that have wanted to start, to hopefully motivate you guys to get to where you want to be, instead of just admiring it like I used to (and still do) and not doing anything, like I was, wasting my time before

Post your motivations!

-TC

Last summer was my 10 year high school reunion and I started loosing to look good for that as well as actually be able to wear my Fett when I finally finish it. I started loosing June 24th 08 and was 329lbs at 5'10"ish. I am following a low carb diet, basically Atkins, but not strictly Atkins. I didn't even start exercising until a month or so later, at which point I was down about 20lbs. I virtually stopped exercising starting in November but am starting again as the weight loss has slowed over the winter. Planning on doing some rollerblading, swimming, and hitting the weights. I'd like to do a round of P90X at some point too, scheduling the time to do it each day is the big challenge there. Anyways, i'm currently down 80+lbs since starting in June.

If you are interested in really getting motivated you should check out a site called sparkpeople.com I'm a member there but have been on a sort of break from it as I got burned out on it since I was spending too much time there. If you do join up there look me up, I'm pada1schlicher there.

I was 211 , 5'10 at New Years when I started eating "better"
I am now down to 195
Not as impressive as you guys, but I'm ok with it
I hope to drop another 10
Maybe if I actually started exercising :lol:

My motivation?
My "very Noticable Gut" while wearing the Boba Costume.

A couple of years ago I went from 213 to 160, which is where I'm at now. No more weight to lose, except a tiny bit around my stomach but that's temporary. It will go away as soon as I get back into working out on a regular basis.

Foxbat's progress has been awesome. I lost close to 65lbs from December 2006 to July 2008. From Jan 2008 to July, I implemented the P90X regiment that everyone has been utilizing at the Spartan Warrior 300DC forums, and it was a major life changer. I am in the middle of if again as we speak, and it's mainly toning at this point. Like Fox, I am shedding off the last of that body fat at the stomach, and love handle areas.

5'6" and 215 two months ago (not so good...) and now by just not over eating/watching my portion sizes and running b/w 1-1.5 miles a day, I'm at 196. It takes me about 12 or so minutes to run 1.5 miles plus I play ice hockey twice a week so that helps too...

Looking better in the Fett has been my motivation plus I get married 3 weeks from today! (y) I'm hoping to drop some more by the wedding.

Good luck everyone, it's a pain in the butt but worth it...

My main motivation initialy was in fact to fit into my original Clonesix, and to look the part. Now I am going hard core for my new Sci-Fire build. My goal is to fit the costume precisley to my new toned physique. It will be as accurate as possible, though I hope to achieve more of a thin side, close to the Animated look, and have full range of movement. In fact, this costume will be the heaviest I have ever worn as a result too. So, I am strength-building for endurance as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
My motivation "started" because I was finishing my Jango costume and since I am the same height as Temuera I wanted to get his build too... I then realized that my body just felt better and seeing muscle develop kept me motivated to keep going :)

Along with weight lifting my diet has changed, in part from the extra protein needed... I eat better and am burning fat and building muscle!

I started on Jan 2nd 2009 and my vitals were 5'6" - 185Lbs, now I am 175Lbs (more muscle) and I squatted 380Lbs this morning! I highly recommend to anyone wanting to build muscle to check out bodybuilding.com, they have some incredible resources for workouts and supplements.

squatting 380 lbs is awesome dude! Nicely done. My best remains 355. I, too, recommend bodybuilding.com. Great resource. I also recommend a good low carb diet called TNT by Adam Campbell started on the Men's Health forums for those who want to trim down fast. Also, if you are like me, and need a system that lays out a long-term, well organized exercise plan that shows you what to do and how and when to do it with no guessing or poking around with different schemes all the time, I recommend the book (and the forum for) The New Rules of Lifting. It is a modular system that can last for years if not the rest of your life. I have had tremendous success with it. It is fantastic.

I think having a motivation like wanting to fit into a certain costume is one of the strongest motivators there is. Much stronger than, 'I want to look good at the beach' or 'I want to be healthy' because it is usually very specific, and the drive and obsession of the costuming gets shifted into the weight loss goal because it has become part of the costume itself. This has to do more with obsessive behavior than discipline, but it is a starting point to shifting towards a discipline. Just keep adjusting goals over time to build the discipline so it becomes a thing in itself over time, until you don't need the thought of the costume to get to the gym or eat right.

Thanks Lufo :)

I have found that diet can be about 80% of weight loss/muscle build... If you don't have a good diet, you waste your workouts at the gym and you might as well stay home, lol.

I'll have to check those recipes and see how they turn out.

You're right TLobe00, Alltho I wouldn't say it's a total waste at the gym... but 50% of a healthy body is a healthy diet, the other 50% is a healthy lifestyle (excercise)... Eat those greens and run!

El1te

Thanks Lufo :)

I have found that diet can be about 80% of weight loss/muscle build...

Very true (for anyone over 17 years old). This is why I like the TNT diet because it is about the TIMING of nutrition along with the workouts and begins to get you to understand, its not just about WHAT you eat, but also WHEN you eat it. Can have a big effect.

The biggest first step as far as nutrition, and this is hard for most people in the US because it is such a staple now in our food, is to cut out anything from your diet that has High Fructose Corn Syrup. It is evil and will destroy your metabolism over time.

and watch your carbs before bed! If you are hardcore about it, cut out carbs before bed because if you eat, lets say ramen for example... which is pure carbs lol, you'll sleep on that and it all turns to fat. no good!

El1te

TNT looks pretty interesting. When I get myself back into lifting I might look at transitioning into that. It sounds very similar to what I'm doing now anyways. When I was working out I was doing a big extra portion of protein in the hour or so after the workout, though not necessarily Whey or the other (starts with a 'C'...). It should be a smooth transition and a good restart to loosing weight.

I'm not tiring to make others feel bad but I'm actually tiring to gain it! I was 5'6" in HS at 121 lbs.....today I'm 5'8" at 121lbs....I haven't gain an ounce since. I eat like crazy! I eat whole cheesy pizzas, burgers, chili cheese fries, milk shakes! everything you can think of! In 2000 I joined the army resv. Drill Sgt. said, "Oh, well beef you up alright!" I got muscle, and nice and cut, but my weight did not change. A trainer at a gym tried giving me some protein shakes but that still did nothing. He gave up on me after a month. :(

I'm in the same boat taco... I can gain a little weight but it's not easy.. I can sit around and eat junkfood all day and I won't gain weight... just ugly skin hahaha. I was gonna suggest protein but you already said that doesn't work... I dunno brother. The best I can suggest is protein protein protein, maybe eat more red meats and hit the gym? I'm 6'3" at 170lbs, pretty happy with that... I'm sure it'll go down to 165 or so in time...

El1te

I'm not tiring to make others feel bad but I'm actually tiring to gain it! I was 5'6" in HS at 121 lbs.....today I'm 5'8" at 121lbs....I haven't gain an ounce since. I eat like crazy! I eat whole cheesy pizzas, burgers, chili cheese fries, milk shakes! everything you can think of! In 2000 I joined the army resv. Drill Sgt. said, "Oh, well beef you up alright!" I got muscle, and nice and cut, but my weight did not change. A trainer at a gym tried giving me some protein shakes but that still did nothing. He gave up on me after a month. :(

dude, at 19 years old I was 5' 10" and wieghed a buck fifty-five. I could eat what ever I wanted, drink booze like an Irishman, and I would never gain.

Till I hit 28 then it all went to hell. At 35 I weighed in at around 230lbs, probaly shrunk a half an inch too. It will catch up to you, trust me. Kick up the excerize and stay away from the bad stuff. Don't try to gain LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back