ESB vest Q's

BountyHunter185

Active Hunter
Hey fellow ESB'rs,
I'm thinking about making the vest for my fett costume and had a few questions. I am doing an ESB version(obviously) and was planning on using the cheerleader pattern(unless anybody has a better idea/pattern to use).

Also, what type of material is it made from? Now I know the exact material hasn't been identified(unless im mistaken) but if anyone could tell me what is some close material or what they used, it would be very helpful. I was also wondering what color the ESB vest is. I thought I saw somewhere that it was white, but then I read that it is darker than the ROTJ one. :confused
So if any other ESB'rs(or anyone else :p) could help me out, I would be very grateful. :)

Thanks. :)

I'd use stretch cotton twill. It will have a sheen on one side. They have it at JoAnn's now, I just saw it the other day. For color, I don't know. It looks like a shiny, cool/gray-toned white that got really dirty. Geez, Fett, wash your clothes some time. :)

Material? Unfortunately, you just missed the bus on that. :(

http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic.php?from=post&topic=4157&forum=3#last

The ESB vest tends to show a little more grey in its hue than the RoTJ vest. It's unclear whether the vest was lightened during the filming of RoTJ or if it's due to the lower contrast between the light-ish RoTJ jumpsuit and the gray-ish/blue-ish ESB jumpsuit. However, the material itself has a white/grey/silver property to it. So, it's difficult to pin down exactly what caused the difference in color.

Thank you lisafett and TD for the helpful replies. :)

TD-I saw that thread but they mentioned that the color was for ROTJ, since the ESB is darker and may not take die to well. then later in the thread they make it sound like the opposite.(i'm so confused :confused) Oh well it seems i'm too late anyways. :facepalm

i'll just try and find the material that lisafett mentioned and see if i like it. and then try and find a pattern for it.(probably just the Simplicity cheerleader pattern)

Oh, and one more thing. is the neck seal and the white on the gloves the same material? I saw that they were discussing it and thought that it was, but i wasn't sure.

Thanks Again. :)

i used the same material for the vest as the glove "patches" and am about to make the neck seal with the same stuff .
cory

BountyHunter185 wrote:

TD-I saw that thread but they mentioned that the color was for ROTJ, since the ESB is darker and may not take die to well. then later in the thread they make it sound like the opposite.(i'm so confused :confused)

The material appears to be closer to the ESB color, with the ROTJ color needing to be lightened (although I think the color of the MoM vest is a good deal lighter than we see in ROTJ), possibly due to laundering prior to setting the exhibit or it's use in the SE's.

Also, there are other ways to change the color of something without dyeing... ;)

Oh, and one more thing. is the neck seal and the white on the gloves the same material? I saw that they were discussing it and thought that it was, but i wasn't sure.

Yes, the neck and material on the fingers is believed to be the same as the vest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, thank you guys for clearing that up for me. :)

So just to recap(and make sure i have it right):
1)The vest is a white/gray that is really dirtied up.(i'll just take it outside sometime when its done and "dirty" it up. ;) im not really into dyeing anything, especially since ive never even used dye.)
2)The neck is believed to be the same material. except a differnt color.(or maybe its the same color just not weathered as much.)
3)the white patches on the glove are also believed to be the same material. im assuming that the color would either be the same color as the neck or vest, or just a plain white.

Thank you all again. :) I think the only thing im not quite sure on is the colors.

I think the original fabric was either white and dyed/dirtied (except for the glove patches) OR they just used two different shades of the fabric. Look at the close-up pics of the vest material and the neck piece (Tyler posted the link) and judge for yourself. This material has some very unique qualities to it that may be difficult to match with any off-the-shelf fabric. That is why we were fortunate to locate what we believe to be the same material.

If you have a good color printer, print the pics in the link and use them as a guide while searching for what you'll use. Even though one of them is from the RotJ suit, the material is believed to be the same.

What do you think of this fabric?

stretchcottonwhite.jpg

So, what do you think? My picture is farther away from the material. It's a digital shot. The weave is not nearly as small as it looks.

I think it looks like a paper towel, Lisa. :lol: Just kidding.

I'd say that it has the right 'pocketed' look to it. For a long time people thought that the reverse side of platinum silk was the right material, but it is pretty obvious now that the fabric definately has a texture to it.

Hey Lisafett, is that material pictured the stretch cotton twill you mentioned earlier? And is Twill or cotton Twill the same thing? We went to our closest JoAnns and found material called "Twill"(or cotton twill, I can't remember which) and just wondered if it was the same. I didn't pick any up b/c I wanted to make sure.

Thanks. :)

I can't remember if that's like the stretch cotton twill that I have, or the canvas from a drop-cloth like thing. That picture is from stretch cotton twill, supposedly, but I took a digital shot and have to see how it compares. I'm still getting Azeem to put it up for me.

This thread is more than 21 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back