New Boba ammo pouch, finished and ready!

I like it.

Back to my earlier question about color do you think you will be able to find a lighter color leather or will they be that dark?

Last edited by a moderator:
With this latest pouch, I can change the shade of the leather, simply by lightly sanding it down, and bringing out more of the original leather underneath.
If I use a thin, pre dyed leather, like the second pouch, it can only be the color I find. Next weekend I intend to go looking for more leather.

Yeah, being a thicker leather, it holds it's shape much better.
Remember guys, the pouches are only the tip if the iceberg. Tyler and I were discussing all of the different belts there are! :lol: We counted at least three! And the posibility that the ESB pouches may be 4" tall.

I like the last one you made, but the flap needs to be longer, almost (but not quite) to the bottom of the pouch.

I also think that the size of the new pouch looks better than the other two pouches. Did you spent less time doing this third pouch? If you spent less time on it you should consider sticking with the new pouch based on productivity and looks.

The size is the same as the other two. The only difference is the fact that the second one was styrofoam, glued with rubber cement, which ate away at it, and turned the upper part into mush. The thick leather is tough to get flat around corners, without wetforming. But I think I may have an idea.
The wood that I use is slightly too small to get the exact dimensions for a core. BUT, this leather is about .25" thick, so if I glue a piece of it to the sides of the wood block, and use the thinner leather over that, to better hide the edges, it would look much nicer.
Right now, that third one is simple a cardboard shape, made from a cereal box, with a piece of the thick stuff on the 2 sides, and the single flap folded around the front/back section. So you can see the cardboard in the gaps. Stretching a thin piece of leather over the sides would keep the gaps from being there. But the thin leather I have is that same stuff that is used on the second pouch. So you have that dark leather again on the sides. Unless I really scuff it up, OR paint it, just like the vinyl.
I might try another one of these tonight.

SC, you may want to consider a vinyl paint for the pouches. they come in the testor spray size cans and can be purchased in a ton of different colors at local shoe stores or on line. All you would have to do is hit it with some of that testors dull coat and done. When I did the stitching on mine (vinyl) I used a sharpy to mark the back and it will give you a perfect line to sew against. Never used a sewing All (think thats that is spelled wrong) how long does it take you to do a pouch? Otherwise, they all look great. I can see why WPK is having difficulty judging. Just my 2 cents.

WPK,I too am totally confused :lol: I think I'm going to take a back seat and see a finished belt before I replace my MP belt.At this point the dimensions are virtually/visually identical so upgrading this component is going to be hard.

After pouring over ESB/ROTJ photos I'm wondering if the same belt was used in both movies.The ESB belt pouches seem smaller overall than ROTJ,but again with so much comparison I'm getting confused.

Does ANYONE think there are inconsistencies in the ESB/ROTJ belts,and pouches???......besides the obvious placement thereof.

Steve

Yes, confusing it is. Tyler pointed out that, on the pre-pro (or was it ESB? :lol: ) that, in comparison to the belt, the pouches looked like they were 4". But it they're the pre-pro pouches, then they would be the white, painted vinyl. But that's what the measurements from were taken, from the MOM suit! Perhaps they made different sized belts?
I guess it all depends on preference.

Looking back at the thread I see you melted your blocks also. Super glue 1 min epoxy does not dissolve them and gives you about 3-4 minutes to work. I had that problem also with the rubber cement.

Here's a picture of the scrap leather from last night. One side has the faux stitching, while the other has the hand stitching. I know, it's a little blurry.

I dirtied the hand stitched side by sanding the leather a little. This got little brown particles embedded into the thread, so it wouldn't look so white and clean.
I've got a finized pouch finishing up right now. Pictures shortly.

stitch.jpg

OK, here it is. A FINAL leather pouch! Non-functioning, with faux stitching. Basically, it's a wood core, some thick leather on the sides, to make it wide enough. Then some of the thin dark brown leather was stretched over the sides. I then used sandpaper to weather it down a little, so lighten it up a little, and look a little used.
This is my favorite of all of them, as far as looks. As far as authenticity goes, I like the vinyl the best. I just need to find a paint that's a little darker, without having to mix paints together. :)
final.jpg

final1.jpg

final2.jpg

final3.jpg

final4.jpg

And here's the entire family. From left to right:
Vinyl painted, thin dark leather, thick leather functional prototype, and the finished thick leather pouch.
final5.jpg

And, just for the fun of it, here's an idea of what a belt of 8 of these leather bad boys would look like! ;)

final6.jpg

Finally, the belts themselves. As you can see from the picture that Tyler threw together for me, there are some choices to be had with the belt. :lol:
belts.jpg

Obviously, the middle picture speaks for itself. But as for the other 2 belts, I'm not sure which movies they belong to!

I like the top belt with the six grommets. I know that those things have a tendency to pop out even when glued in. I'd guess that is probably what happened in the bottom pic of the tour suit, possibly the same thing in the middle ESB belt.

By the way, that last pouch looks great. :cheers

Tyler wanted to see how the pouch would look, on the 3" belt....so here you go. Just need to add some stitching to the belt, and weather it a little.
This is an ESB belt, that's already been spoken for....a killer paid me well for it. :lol:
belt.jpg

belt2.jpg

SAtill playing around.... Check out this picture from AOSW. Knowing that the width of the buckle is 2.25 (thanks Tyler), I used it as a guide, to re-size the image to true form, and use the buckle as a digital ruler. Check out the measurements NOW! BTW, each black line in .5"

aosw1.jpg

This thread is more than 21 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back