my shin guard progress NEW PICS

I've got 'til Halloween to finish Nightcrawler. No pictures yet.

Contacts ordered.
Makeup mixed
Scars figured out
Hands done
Teeth done
Ears in progress
Clothes on the drawing board
Tail internals started
Tail sculpt started

Teleportation in process :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually found another tandy dealer near me. I went and waisted about an hour of his time yesterday :D
The leather for the shins is so thin, it doesn't need to be wetformed. We played with wrapping the guard with the dry leather and it actually took the shape remarkably well. He had some that was purple but it was way too "grapey" or I would have wrapped that guard already.
He was pretty sure the top edge was a leather trim also but said if we (the group :) ) decided it isn't, we could glue a strip of leather on the top and form the skiver over it. I'll run to the other Tandy dealer and get a second opinion...hopefully tomorrow.

I've had a couple inquiries regarding dimensions. Here's a pic with a couple. If others are needed, I can add them. :)
shincast7meas2ug.jpg

BTW, are my pics showing up for everyone?

cal

good! thanks

It seams my hosting service isn't totally reliable so I ran a few through the TDH service (Thanks for the service!!!) ;)

I'll have to experiment but here's a theory proposed by 3 different leather shops on the leather edge:

leatheredgetheory19vo.jpg

The leather would probably glue down, a series of holes would be punched through both pieces of leather and the plastic. Stitching would go through the holes. the leather would be glued, folded back over itself and glued to the inside of the guard.

cal

How big would the holes be? Looks about right for the top of the shin guard... but what about where the guard attaches to the "metal" piece that rests on the boot. (I don't know what any of these pieces are supposed to be called... :rolleyes ) Is the leather just glued down over that rounded area?

I don't understand the "stitching" I mean, if you glue it down, that should hold everything. I don't remember seeing any "stitching" I would just putty the top edge or put bondo on it to make a lip, then wrap the whole thing with that "lip" and just make sure you have a groove for the leather to fit exactly with the glue. Crease it with the end of a knife or some other tool.

The holes wouldn't have to be very big...enough for the thread. I think the glue would be necessary to force it more flat. If it was just stitched, it might not stay as flat. This is just for the top edge. The bottom edge is sculpted and leather formed over it.

Zam i am, you would stitch the piece down then fold it back over itself covering the stitching. This would force the edging to have a tight distinct line like the orig. and help keep it from coming undone. I think these will be too flexible for bondo anyway. If you want to overlap a sculpted edge, you could attach a strip of leather to the top edge and form over it. :) It's tough to explain ...much easier to show in person. Again, this is just a theory and I'll have to play around with it. Probably can use the same leather as the rest of the guard because it'll be folded over itself.
leatheredge3.jpg

Okie, here's my quickie sculpt and rendition. Which wouldn't require any odd overlapping, but same effect methinks. AND no stitching, just glueing. Drilling tons of little holes through plastic is not my idea of fun... That's just like punching the holes for the skirt imho, but worse...
Anycow pic one is a quickie sculpt of what you have. Then add on the bondo lip (mine is all sculpey, but you get the picture).
shincritique.jpg

Then just glue all under that thin leather and use a tool to make sure it's in tucked into that "creavace" to make sure it has a good "lip" look.
leatheronshin.jpg

yay or nay?
Oh BTW, I have never used bondo before, so wet formed leather would do nicely in replacement (as you pointed out)I assume too much (I think everything is as pliable as sculpey..)

Here's a "real" pic of my fancy illustration above ;) only not sewn.

leatheredge10jv.jpg

leatheredge26oh.jpg

of course the suede side would be in and the edge wouldn't be black :)
Drilling would be easy with the dremel..only take about a minute or so...then lay the strip of leather on top and thread it, fold and glue. I could pre-drill it anyway. The needle would easily thread through the leather. Again, I need to try it first :D

is that black piece weather stripping? so you would make it two pieces of leather? that goes on top of weather stripping?

Zam I Am wrote:

is that black piece weather stripping? so you would make it two pieces of leather? that goes on top of weather stripping?

:confused ??
I'm confused..sorry. It's just another piece of leather (pig I think) that happens to be black. It's folded just like my drawing above. The lavender piece ends just like in the pic at the edge of the guard. Another piece of leather (the black in the pic) will sew on, fold over itself and glue. I think it's impossible to have a formed edge and try to cover the whole thing especially at the point. It will wrinkle itself and won't be smooth. It would have to combine too many sharp corners..

ooops, ok, then you are going to use three pieces of leather, i see. I kinda understand the stiching, it would be hidden. Hmmm. Very interesting. That works too. I thought you could just angle cut it on the back side to prevent wrinkling and use all one piece.

The things that make you go hmmmmmm....

Two pieces of leather:
1. The lavender piece in the pic which will cover the entire shin guard.

2. A strip of leather cut to maybe 2" to cover the top edge.

Hmmmm :D

what about that black piece? isn't that going to be #3 leather piece?
hmmm? :D

Zam I Am wrote:

Anycow pic one is a quickie sculpt of what you have.
Why are u bringing up cows at a time like this?;):p
last time i checked we were discussing shinguards.;)
Then again, leather is from cows.....hmmm.....
btw, Dallas, what the heck is that thing on your avatare?
it looks like a mutated greedo!:p
no offense zam i am!!!:p j/k
ZamWessel~:zam

The piece of leather I used in the pic to show how to do the top edge just happened to be black to help show contrast as will the white leather below. I will use either another piece of lavender or white and paint it along with painting / weathering the whole thing.

Step one: cover the entire guard with a piece of leather (lavender in the pic) cut even with top edge. It will form to all the details on the bottom edge and can be glued. These pics are just set up as an example. The real deal will be trimmed and fit the entire guard.

leatheredge53fz.jpg

Step two: cut a piece of leather approx 1 1/2" wide that is the length of the entire top of guard (including going down the backside overlap).
leatheredge65vv.jpg

Step three: Sew the leather to the plastic guard with stitching approx. 3/16 from the edge and fold over (glue as well). Glue it to itself and to the inside of the guard.
leatheredge76uw.jpg

Step four: The edge is complete. Paint / weather the entire thing. Two pieces of leather.
leatheredge89tl.jpg

Finally have some more progress :)
Still need to do some trimming on the shoe guard, add the top edge, and weather it of course ;)

shin leather 1 sm.jpg
shin leather 4 sm.jpg

(These pics don't really do justice since the net seems to blur them up a bit)

wow!!!!moncal that looks awesome!!!!!!!!your definately the one im going to for tips when i make my shinguards!!

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back