Metal Helmet Using WOF Templates

That seems as though it might be heavy?
It is not heavy. Its 19 guage aluminum. It will be heavier once its glassed. I have not updated yet. I am in the middle of making the ears out of the same aluminim. I have the basic shapes of the right side and rangefinder cover. They will have to be smoothed down a bit though. Thanks for looking!

just curious, why do you need to glass it? I would think a little hammer work and some bondo would do the trick.
Looks great by the way.

I need to fiberglass the inside to reinforce the helmet. Anyone could squash it if they wanted to. It will also cover any sharp edges I could not sand down. Any dings on the outside will be smoothed over with JB Weld.

Thanks!

I need to fiberglass the inside to reinforce the helmet. Anyone could squash it if they wanted to. It will also cover any sharp edges I could not sand down. Any dings on the outside will be smoothed over with JB Weld.

Thanks!

OK I get ya, (y)
If I ever get to do one I was thinking welding it up, Need access to a welder though :)

I gotta say I'm inspired too. If the wife wouldn't ear bash me to death then I'd be on my way to lowes for some aluminum sheet. But all in all, that's just awesome:love

Looks pretty good.
My brother wanted to make his Mando helmet out of metal, but I told him it wouldn't work. I stand corrected.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stared building mine a few days ago but it looks nothing like yours lol. Right now I'm trying to get it to where it will actually fit my huge noggin, thankfully I haven't glued or attached anything yet. Any advice when it comes to building it like this?

I have a tiny update here. I have not had too much time to work but I did make the right earcap. Take a look.

DSC02411.JPG

DSC02413.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Its called Necro posting...its kinda like posting in all caps...its something you dont do. A lot of the time its something thats irrelevant just to get your post count up like you do a lot of the time. Some of the time its relevant to the new person but its a waste of bandwith and clutters things up by bringing back a very old thread.

Like this thread for example is almost a year untouched and the guys says "This is great! i was thinking about making mine like this but wussed out and went with fiberglass, but this is gonna be sick! keep it up. " What does that have to do with anything...maybe the poster finished it without posting it up or started another thread with the completed version. Either way theres no reason to bring back the dead.

... I saw my thread was commented on again...

... I still have this helmet and it still remains unfinished. I began to smooth out the dome with Bondo but I realized that is was going to be REALLY heavy. I have the new helmet from FP that I'm working on currently. I did place the two helmets side by side and the metal one is a little bigger all the way around... great if you have a big head! Anyway... move along...

Its called Necro posting...its kinda like posting in all caps...its something you dont do. A lot of the time its something thats irrelevant just to get your post count up like you do a lot of the time. Some of the time its relevant to the new person but its a waste of bandwith and clutters things up by bringing back a very old thread.

Like this thread for example is almost a year untouched and the guys says "This is great! i was thinking about making mine like this but wussed out and went with fiberglass, but this is gonna be sick! keep it up. " What does that have to do with anything...maybe the poster finished it without posting it up or started another thread with the completed version. Either way theres no reason to bring back the dead.
like I do all of the time?

You post random **** to post for whatever reason...Ive seen plenty of people like you in my years on different forums. Like the super bowl thread, theres plenty of examples, and I have one hell of a stupid memory, so just try and post usefull stuff relevant to whatever subject matter the thread your posting in is about. And try and keep from bringing back year old threads and everyone will be happy I assure you. Hope that clears up any confusion you may have had.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back