Rubber Gauntlets

whistle8mp

Active Hunter
Has anyone ever attempted to try to make a decent pair of rubber gauntlets, if you could pull it off they would save alot of hassles.

i think it would be good to have a rubber outerlayer and hard shell underneath, that way they would have a solid skeleton but yet avoid the dings of regular gauntlets of hard materials

I don't know if I would really trust rubber gauntlets, I'd imagine the paint cracking all of the time. Sounds more trouble than it would be worth.

This would be the first time I have ever heard of such a thing. It sounds like a good idea if you can keep the paint on. If you bump into something you might crack the paint. Maybe a latex paint would work but I doubt they make paint like that in the colors we need.

Another issue would be weight.

I think it would have to be tinted rubber... If you did the gauntlets in the right base color then did topical weathering it could be cool.

Mixing the pigments would be a pain, and really expensive trial and error. I know Smoothon has their "silpig" line for tinting silicone... maybe something like that?

I like the idea, but I think it would be Reaaaaaallly hard to pull off and cost a ton.

Rubber guants would be nice, as long as they don't look like the ones used in the stunt scenes of Rotj. Those were just sad.

Some kind of semi-rigid castable material would work great. The stuff we use at work is REALLY REALLY light and bounces, but is very rigid. The only problem is that it is a foam so you would have to create an inner plug for your mold to get it hollow...or just carve out a trench in each half.

I still don't really see the point to rubber gauntlets, not really they never flex. I suppose if you were doing the bottom shells, but that would just be a nightmare having to paint.

I still don't really see the point to rubber gauntlets, not really they never flex. I suppose if you were doing the bottom shells, but that would just be a nightmare having to paint.

I have to agree. Don't really see the need. I've had both plastic & fiberglass versions that I've been trooping with for years. Never realy had a problem with anything concerning the gauntlets.

I'm sure the kid that ran into me at the con a few weeks ago wishes my Wickedbeard gauntlets were rubber:lol:

Poor kid, turned and walked strait into my left (heavier of the two by far) gauntlet and started crying instantly. I felt bad and couldn't imagine how much it hurt the little guy. His mom was pissed at me like I could of helped it or something but I guess they all go over it!

Buy some metal guants and then you don't have to worry about them breaking (y)(y)(y):cheers

Agreed, escho. In my experience, metal gauntlets (though certainly heavier and occasionally somewhat hindersome) do provide the best look and feel.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back