Mando Skull themed helmet sculpt *Pic Intense*

lonewolf 1183

Active Hunter
Hey all,
Been a while since I posted anything on these boards and seeing the different creative idea threads I figured I throw some pictures out there to inspire some.
This is a helmet I modified as a Christmas gift for my brother. its based on a sketch I did quite some time ago that he really liked. I was doodling lots of different mando helmet permutations, just pushing the boundaries of what a fett helmet could look like and still be recognizable as a mando helmet and this one really popped out at him. So, I had no money to buy him anything for christmas but did have a Sgt. Fang helmet sitting around begging to have something done to it. So here's the pics! I gave the helmet to him in a raw state so he could paint it however he wanted. Hope you enjoy! (sorry a few of the pics may be sideways)

Raw Fang helmet with some scribble lines on it
IMG_0900.jpg

holes cut out, surfaces evened out, (you can see a sketch in the background a little)
IMG_0902.jpg

mouth and nasal bone area built and beginnings of symmetrical ear caps
IMG_0905.jpg

Further work on symmetrical earcaps (Thanks stormtrooperguy for the earcaps)
IMG_0906.jpg

finished helmet with real grooves and scratches filed into it.
IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

Next to my custom helmet from a few years ago
IMG_0907.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0900.jpg
    IMG_0900.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_0907.jpg
    IMG_0907.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 970
  • IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_0909.jpg
    IMG_0909.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_0902.jpg
    IMG_0902.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 440
Both lids look great! Your custom job really really stands out. Love the gold visor and the raised vent on the front. Also interested to see what paint job ends up on the skull helmet. Cool work

Isn't my brother the best?

Some more pics:
DSCN1989.jpg

DSCN1988.jpg

It goes along great with the digital paints Lonewolf made me for my birthday:

DSCN1405.jpg

DSCN1403.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1988.jpg
    DSCN1988.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 371
  • DSCN1405.jpg
    DSCN1405.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 400
  • DSCN1403.jpg
    DSCN1403.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 393
  • DSCN1989.jpg
    DSCN1989.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 363
Had a worry then, I have an idea for a helmet, but seeing it, it's not like my idea :)

It's looking good though!

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

I can't say that I have heard of Simon Bisley.

I always enjoy designing custom mandos. As a designer I'm kind of drawn (literally) to doing custom things. With Mandos, my goal is always to push how far I can go with it, yet keep it rooted firmly in the star wars design aesthetic and still recognizable as a boba/ jango mandalorian base.

This means to me realistic weathering (appreciate that shout out) without being to over the top. I always try to make it look like the scratches and flakes really happened. And washes. Lots of washes. Gotta wash your helmet if you want it dirty. The fully painted helmet in the pictures has I don't know how many washes of various earth tones- basically I spent about 4 hours or more just on the washes.
I also try to kit out my mandos as though they were built by the star wars original trilogy prop department. This means leather pouches, WW2 era looking weaponry, greeblies from other star wars components. Seriously, you never actually realize how many little bits were reused all over the place. On my mando backpack I have r2 greeblie parts and a sandtrooper style magazine pouch. On Cadet's skull helmet some of the mouth detail was made to resemble T-track. Its the little details that make it look right

I'll be doing more mando stuff coming up in the near future. I'm actually about 30% done with a Rav Bralor/ Vhonte Tervo build for my girlfriend, I plan to do a Pilot themed Mando for myself, and heck it looked so cool I want to do a death mando for myself too!

Now to just acquire a new helmet or two since my brother had my only blank helmet :p

Busted out the Wacom for a little bit tonight. Was more just getting used to Photoshop CS4 and my new IMac, but started throwing some color onto a sketch I did. gives you an idea of what I would be going for.;)

MandalorianExecutioner3_9_09.jpg

Attachments

• MandalorianExecutioner3_9_09.jpg
    MandalorianExecutioner3_9_09.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,199
This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back