Paint Issue

psydaz

Hunter
Hey everyone...

Okay, I need some help from some of you amazing artists out there...I am currently working on my Fett 2.0. I have everything done, except the cod piece and running into a problem. For some reason, the pollyscale US medium green is cracking (spidering). I have used the same primer and same silver on all other parts and have not had this issue, only with the cod piece. I have had to sand the cod piece 2x already and am at loss as to what is causing this. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

I'd sand it all down to the bare plastic, re-prime it, re-do the silver, then spray it on very slowly. Sometimes oils from the skin lay on the armour, and cause the paint to crack. Sometimes, I take a wet soapy paper towel and clean off the armour each time before I put down a layer of paint.

I'd sand it all down to the bare plastic, re-prime it, re-do the silver, then spray it on very slowly. Sometimes oils from the skin lay on the armour, and cause the paint to crack. Sometimes, I take a wet soapy paper towel and clean off the armour each time before I put down a layer of paint.

Thanks man. I have already sanded it down to the plastic twice. I have re-primed and re-silvered it and letting it dry real well. I will try to wash it down tonight. The odd thing is that it did not crack on any of the other pieces.

Sounds like a bad batch of green, try another bottle.

That was my thought as well. So, I have tried several bottles, but possibly all from the same batch. All with the same result.

I went to a hobby shop today and was able to find the US med green, hopefully this, along with a soapy wash will help.

Are you thinning the paint at all???? I've had that happen a few times when I thinned the paint down too much.

Yes, I have been thinning the paint. BUT...thanks to you guys...I got the problem fixed. First, I used some 0000 steel wool and gently buffed the silver layer. I then washed it thoroughly with soapy water and dried it well. Next, I sprayed very, very light layers and slowly built them up. It worked...no more cracking...

see my thread here for progress...

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=30717

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back