How do you make a mold of say...the jet pack?

Darth Voorhees

Well-Known Hunter
Preferred Vendor
How do you make a mold of say...the jetpack?

I was concidering scratch building a jet pack, but am not sure how you make a mold and cast something that is hollow but has a front and back. I have made molds and cast things like Vader helmets, but those are open on one end. I have a few thoughts on how to do it,but am not really sure. Any one have a link to the process? thanks so much fellow denters!

Theres a back plate on the jet pack. you can fiberglass reaching inside it, or you can make the entire back a s seperate piece.

The problem is, to do it right, you would have to destroy the pack after making it.

Last edited by a moderator:
there is a thread in general propbuilding about lost foam casting with fiberglass.seems easy its the way I plan on doing mine.You make the jet pack out of stacked up insulation foam then cover it in packing tape or a latex based paint to keep the resin from eating the foam.fiberglass over the model except for the part that rests against your back and when its cured you use a little laquer thinner or kerosene to dissolve the foam and presto a hollow fiberglass jet pack.Im at work so I dont have time to search for the thread.the guy has videos of the process.

without the undercut parts attached like beacon and outside thrusters, after sealing it would any type of brushabble resin be used? then cover the resin mayb ewith fiberglass for added strength to the base mold? Like you would with a brushed on silicon/fiberglass mother/shell mold.
just a thought

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back