Weathering the Helmet - Scotchbrite pad?

batninja

Well-Known Hunter
I'd seen several people using Scotchbrite pads to 'sand' down the layers of weathering on the helmet. Doesn't that scrape through other paint layers, or smudge metal-looking paints?

Who's had experience with these pads?

Are there advantages to using Scotchbrite pads as to using the multi-layer Liquid Mask approach?

I use scotchbright pads on almost all my paint jobs!! Much like sand paper there are different textures you can get ahold of! Once you get the hang of using them you can vertually create any of the weathering on the Helmet!! Keep in mind that even the Metal-looking paint has texture to it!! For instince the Jango helmet, though it has a nice sheen and glare to it ,upon a closer look you can see it was polished in a swirling motion.
I think that 3m color sequenced the scotchbrite pads from white being the lightest to a Dark red being the heaviest!
(there could be heavier and lighter ones out there!)
Best thing to do is test on something before you go to do you Helmet!!
Hope this helps!;)
shunned

I've never used Scotch brite on Fett armor, but I have used really fine sandpaper to lightly scuff it in places, along with chalk pastels and a number of different top coats to give the random aged look.

I HAVE used Scotchbrite on a number of other projects like Han blasters, etc. and it's good stuff to get that lived in Star Wars feel.

This thread is more than 21 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back