Zam's Gloves

Okay, I've modified, redrafted, revamped, changed, altered and redone those gloves! I've got a new pattern and I'm working on the "muslin" prototype today! I couldn't find any gloves to cut apart (Have you tried to find "fashion" or "driving" gloves in July in Phoenix?" :lol: ) So, we'll see if my alterations worked or if I need to wait until cooler weather and they do have such things in the stores here! ;)

Actually,when I was making my Zam for Dragon Con 03?, I bought my gardening leather gloves from Walmart. And, if you extend the wrist and include a stitch from the index finger all the way down, I don't see why you can't unstitch the Walmart glove and use that as the pattern.

Erm.. because I haven't stepped inside a WalMart in like 3 years? ;) And I don't garden... and... mostly because I didn't think of that! ;)

I'm half way through my protoype and it seems pretty good so far if I just wouldn't keep getting interrupted! ;)

;) Yah tell me bout dem interruptions! My child won't let me on the comp much, before he pulls EVERYTHING apart. I am so slow at doing anything, cause I don't want him near any chemicals, dyes, needles, cutters etc. So.. you see, us Mother Zammers have it slower than all ya'lls. These are the places that I could hit before I got shanghai'd by my tot= for certain Zam items: Ace Hardware, Lowes, Walmart, Hancock fabrics, Tandy Leather stores, Jo Anne Fabrics, and Thrift stores. But, yeah, the walmart gardening gloves might be there at this time of year. So check em out before gardening season is gone. I got the white ones, then I used mineral spirits? or something to take off the seal, then spraypainted them with purp and re-sealed em. If you get a 3 oz chapside leather, it might be harder to sew but would probably give you a better look for the gloves, because from FIDM, the gloves looked like a thicker leather than gardening gloves, and less flimsy, more full. I could be wrong, but yah, I would take apart the walmart gloves trace the pattern onto 3 oz white chapside leather (extra length for the wrist), then take the seal off, and either spray dye/paint it before or after you sew it back together with the index finger stitch. Kaydee from the fanforce costuming boards has TRULY nice FIDM Zam pics hosted on her site. ;) You can use them for some references, if you haven't had the chance to get MOM pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... I was just going to use some of the lambskin. It looks the same color/texture to me as the cumberbun and vest. At least the hero version does in the pics.

Finished the prototype... a few more tweaks for the final pattern and I'm done with that step! Yeah!!! (y)

resolene sealed. Yeah, i see your point there MM. I was going over somethings, and talking to the Tandy store lady about Darth Vader pants and she said they used chapsides. I am having problems with the "fullness" look. There is something to the heavier leather that adds to the look. I could totally be wrong, I have been before, but besides the shoulder pads of the vest, I was thinking more about the strain of the black hose connectors and IF they used the same material for vests, gloves and cumberbund at a 3 oz chapside, vs. a 1-2 oz lambskin. It's way more expensive for the 3 oz, but the stability of the leather is in question. My cumberbund buckles in a LOT under the weight of my greebs and metal beads, which isn't a whole lot of weight. In part, it could be due to the foam inside, but I really feel the thickness of the leather could also be a cause. Still thinking if I should change out all those white leathered parts to 3 oz chapside.

Can the 3oz be sewn on a home machine? I also did a quick search for white chapsides and didn't find any. I did like the texture though...

Vest: There is definately some extra padding on the shoulders and down the front towards the bustline, heavier towards the arms and lighter towards the middle. The hose connectors need extra reinforcing, something like MonCal did on his vest with the webbing. I was also going to sew a reinforcing seam around the hose connector to the webbing, even if it isn't fully canon - I don't want the thing to rip!

Cumberbun: I'm having to do mine over as well (Color was waaaay off). It definately needs more than just a layer or two of foam in there. I'm thinking I'm going to make mine like a hinge ( > ) and put a layer of stiff leather in there for support, in addition to the interfacing, foam and stuffing, etc.

The whole leather thread,http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=3219 the comparison between the lamb skin and the 3 oz leather -- that was 3 oz white chapsides. I believe that ebinger brother's leather was the one that sent me a swatch of white sleeve on pearl 3 oz. leather. Wow, my links are all messed up etc. Sorry yall, haven't had time or money to update my site or pics or be on here to edit my posts or whatever. I still have yet to transfer my site from one isp to another and am losing money by the minute, cause I haven't learned how to edit all my code for pics and sites to switch all the pics over from one space to the next even as just a "placeholder". ARG! I need a transfer fairy. Anycow, if someone wants to get a swatch from them and post up a pic comparison, by all means go ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ebinger Brothers doesn't have any pics on their site! :( Do you still have the swatch or the pic of the swatch? Can you email it to me and I can post it up. That would be faster than me asking for a swatch.

However, I just read through that whole thread again *Man I forgot a lot of that stuff! ;) * and you seemed pretty convinced that the chapsides were too thick at the time.

I'm wondering if there isn't some sort of underlining to the vest to add support, as well as a regular lining. (Though, the vest did tear at the hose connectors on the MOM/FIDM Zam).

I know - I was stoked when i found em. I'll let you know what the actual colour is like once they arrive.

just goes to show that a little patience can pay off sometimes - I've been looking for the right gloves for about 4 months...

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back