How do you guys know which helmet to pick?

I've been searching the forums here for comparisons between the different versions of helmets but I have one problem:

I have no idea which one will look best. What criteria do you guys use when selecting a helmet?

I'm 6 ft, 200 lbs and I have sort of a big head but I don't have very wide shoulders. I was leaning towards the Mystery Helmet but I'm afraid it might be a little too wide at the bottom and not look the best.

If users who have gone through this process before could share their insights. I (and I'm sure others) would be very thankful.

Hey Danny, welcome to TDH! I can't pick a bucket for you because it all comes down to preference. But I can give you some options that I would choose from. You could go with a Mystery helmet from either Sgt Fang or Marrowsun, but I do not believe Marrowsun is making buckets currently. Another great option is a bucket from Fettpride, Bobamaker, or Terminal Fettler. All 3 great options. I don't know if there is a good comparison chart out there. I would take a look through the helmet section, and look for people's buildups and see some finished products. That will show what kind of potential the kits have, then you can make a choice on what you like.

Where in upstate BTW?

Yeah. I have checked some of the comparisons but it's hard to tell without trying one on, ya know? It's kind of a gamble if it will look good or not.

This is also my first Fett costume so I am trying to do it on a budget. The cast pieces seem to be the biggest hurdle for this hobby.

What's up Danny, I think that most people will be fine with the mystery sized helmets. I have seen some tall Fetts wearing them, and they look proportioned. Everyone looks like a bobble head without the full set up. Once you put the armor on, the suit comes together nicely. Try to stay away from the Rubies or Don Post sized helmets because they tend to be a bit smaller in size. The MSH and MLC tend to run a bit larger . And like Mrgr8ness said, the SgtFang, Fettpride, Bobamaker, etc... are all GREAT helmet kits. There is also the Master Replicas. Shop around and take your time making a decision. You cannot go wrong with any of these. Your budget is also going to play a role in this. You have definitely come to the right place, and again welcome! :cheers

I don't recall which thread I was looking at but it was one of the bucket comparisons and the DP stuff is def too small. I am leaning towards a SgtFang right now.

But I am doing as much homework as I can. There is so much stuff to get! Haha! I didn't realize just how many pieces there are to this costume until I started making checklists. Thankfully a lot can be handmade or sewn pretty easily.

But I have been throwing this idea around for literally 5 years and I just decided that I'm going to stop waffling and just do it! Thanks for the warm welcome. Everyone seems really helpful and focused here which is nice.

i went through a bunch until i got one that was right for me. i basically bought one, tried it, and if i didn't like it sold it.

i ended up settling on the master replicas since it's scanned off of an original helmet. mine is repainted to rotj style though.

Welcome to TDH
this has become my second family and know u will love TDH as much as i do. I am still pretty new but their is a wealth of info and talent here.
I am also 6' and 190 (give or take LOL) but i am researching as well trying to find a good bucket for my first. I like em all mostly but believe bobamaker is what i am going for. Good luck with your chioce!

Hey Danny,

if you have a slightly bigger head the Sgt. Fang could be too small ...

For the "bigger" heads I recommend eiter FPH or TerminalFettler - Both helmets are bigger in size and look pretty good. No worry about being a bobble head.

Manuel

Sgt. Fang buckets are good quality, but might be too small. I'm a big guy and I have a Terminal Fettler bucket, fits great.

Don´t know the BKBT Jango helmet size ...

I have a FPH and a TerminalFettler helmet and they both are pretty equal in size. Not to mention the fantastic quality of both helmets. Can´t say something about BM helmets or even Sgt. Fang´s, because I never had one of these ... but I guess they are slightly smaller ... but also great in detail!

It really depends on what size your head is

Cheers

Hey guys, im still fairly new to this too. I have 2 Altmanns Fett helmets, and i also have a large head :) my jaw is level with the bottom of the Altmanns helmet.
When i speak you can see my chin wagging. Otherwise i am happy with the helmet. It has metal ear caps and range finder and looks to be in proportion.
Does anybody know how the Altmanns compares in size to other helmets.......
A bit bigger wouldnt go a stray

Hi Danny
Also a new member whos just starting a Fett build,As buying my parts is not an option right now im scratch building my whole set.The help and support of the Dented helmet has been outstanding there is an answer for every question on this site.Personally im going with my favorite episode ESB. W.O.F. scatch build. see ya round the forum:D

whats the altmanns made out of ?

Some kind of plastic....cant remember. If i find out i'll post what it is.
Its finished in ESB colours, but i want ROTJ......so am thinking i will have to repaint it.
If anyone has an Altmanns to compare to any other helmet size wise, if they could post the result or PM me that would be hugely appreciated :)

Here's some comparisons:
4buckets.jpg

I have the Don Post 97', it's smaller so fits a teenage girl such as myself.

Attachments

• 4buckets.jpg
    4buckets.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 273
i'm a big guy, 6'06" 270lbs. i have a gypsyboy helmet. it's a 1:1 movie sized helmet such as the mystery helmet.

here's a comparision chart i made...

l to r: rubies boba, rubies jango 1 piece, rubies jango 2 piece, dp 95, gypsyboy, rohlan dyre:
IMG_0754.jpg

for a scale, here's me in armor wearing the gypsyboy:
IMG_0704.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0704.jpg
    IMG_0704.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 199
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back