MMM\'s Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can **UPDATE** Painted Pix

Megalomaniac Mando

Active Hunter
MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can **UPDATE** Painted Pix

Sand and prime, sand and prime, sand and prime, sand and prime....well, you get the picture.

After a day's worth of that, I figured I'd had about as much fun as I could stand. Here's where I stopped, and here's where I start painting.

primedhelmet1.jpg
primedhelmet2.jpg

Good enough for who it's for.

I still haven't decided on all the colors yet. BTW, there is actually more of a flair than is evident in the pics. I may just cast the ear pieces from aluminum if I feel that cutting them out will be too complicated. The keyhole thingy is still left to do as well.

Hey bud that looks amazing. How did you mount your visor, inquiring minds want to know. Can we see into the helmet like to see the guts if it had any. That looks like a really awesome lid MMM. I still think you should go with the Hezekiah paint scheme.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, guys. Here's the visor attachment. It's holding really well with just the two screws right now. I have holes and everything ready for four more if I decide to go that route. It kinda clips into the vertical parts of the trim, as well.
Sorry for the fuzzy picky, I didn't use my good camera, just the cheapy.
insidetheheadcan.jpg

RIGHT ON!!!

MMM, you've done a heckuva job!!! That looks great!! All metal, all done by you!!

:cheers (y)

Lookin' darn good mate!!

''Yeeeaaahhh MMM you go man''. Awesome helmet', smooth looking dome. GREAT JOB.

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Heya, MetalBoy. I was going to hammer out a sheet of aluminum to make the dome like I did my armor and cheekpieces, but after really studying the pics of the real helmet, a light went off in my head. It looked alot like the dome of a GI steelpot helmet. I got one and cut it up. Lemme tell you, buddy, THAT was a b!+(#, but it ultimately saved me alot of time( I had to use an angle grinder to cut that stuff).

If you're ever in a surplus store, check one of those out for your next one.

Guess I don't need to tell ya what I think of your work, but I will anyway: That is amazing! I can't imagine what it must feel like to have created your own Fett helmet from scratch-IN METAL! Astounding work MMM! :cheers

Oh...my...god...

That is absolutely beautiful...gorgeous...very impressive.

Makes me want to learn a new skill!

Thanks to you guys too.

I started painting it today. No pics until I get the weathering done. Something is "off" and "doesn't look right", mainly because they are custom colors and not what we are used to. :)

Ok, kiddos. Here it is. I still have a couple techniques that I may try before I finally seal it, but this is just about the whole ball'o'wax here.
I won't go on about secret colors or techniques(it's not like I made a pact with the devil), since nobody else would probably want these colors for themselves anyway. If anyone does have questions, though, I'll be happy to answer them.

HP2.jpg

HP4.jpg

MegalomaniacalMandalore wrote:

Thanks, Rex. Means alot to me. After all, YOU'RE the one who started me on all this stuff in the first place! :lol: :lol:

So does that mean you're buying the beers, or do I have to...to make up for it?!?!

:lol:

WOot WoOt!!! this rounds on me!!!! :cheers

edit: as soon as I can find my fake ID ;)

MMM...you did it Man! When you first brought this up about the G.I. helmet for the dome, I didn't think you were really going to do it since them metal helmets are a bit tough. You really are an Artist without limits! I guess with that metal top, you can use a .38 pistol to create real dents.:lol:
Great Work MMM!(y)

This thread is more than 21 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back