Rorschach Mask Possible?

Hey, there's a guy on Ebay selling a Rorschach mask that has moving ink blots. Run a search for item # 200317527672. It appears that he may be using the heat activated paints, and he uses his breath to activate them, but I'm not sure :facepalm. It looks pretty cool. It's also climbing steep on the bids. Check it out.

The one i'm making is movable....

I'm working on implants with black flowing fluid. If i perfect the technique it'll eventually go on youtube

this works pretty good IF you are wanting to do a fan film. no good for a comicon type event.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agrea with corby on is post / methods.

The heat activated paint looks excellent, BUT what about your head? It does release heat so you would have trouble just getting the shape you want because of that? = bad idea I think?

Here is a spandex mask on ebay, item 220375550497
You would need a few for the different shapes ?

Looks like a hard project but good luck on successing this project looking forward on seeing the results.

What if you had multiple layers of masks, each with a regular blot, and one heat activated blot. The bottom layer closest to you face would react first, then as you breathed more, to other layers would react. By the time the top layer has reacted, the bottom layer has cooled, and the process would repeat. You would just need to find patterns that would all work together. Would this work? Because I'm not so sure.

Hey, there's a guy on Ebay selling a Rorschach mask that has moving ink blots. Run a search for item # 200317527672. It appears that he may be using the heat activated paints, and he uses his breath to activate them, but I'm not sure :facepalm. It looks pretty cool. It's also climbing steep on the bids. Check it out.
Sold for like $800...

$800, wow!!!! :confused

i'll bet that person is gonna be disappointed. if you watch the first video that ebay seller posted you can see how hard he's breathing inside of his mask just to make it change color a little bit. it looks like he's going to hyperventilate!
and in the second video, i'm pretty sure that he has a space heater in front of him and out of camera view and that's why it reacts so much better than it did in the first video. rip off.

and didn't i say something about hypercolor shirts in my first post?
IE, heat reactive ink.
:)

WOW! Ah yeah, that was really steep. I almost fell over when I saw that :confused.
Looking forward to see what you guys come up with (y)!

Kwally89's effort looks like the best so far, I should know, I'm working on one myself. I've been researching leuco dyes and thermochromatic paints and found a few that look like they'd work.

One industry sales rep actually asked me why so many people are writing him asking about this in the last few days. ( Probably a bunch of fellow prop-building fans like us. ) When I told him, he thought it was a pretty cool idea but was partially upset that so many people wouldn't tell him what was going on. ( A lot of people with $$ signs in their eyes and hopes of selling masks on eBay for $780 each, perhaps? ) The sales rep was also partially relieved that at least I was willing to level with him and say WHY I wanted the dye. In fact he was so appreciative that someone finally leveled with him he started telling me all sorts of dyes and paints that he didn't bother to tell anyone else.

Based on this I have a good deal of confidence that I can make my own moving mask but Kwally89's effort has the PERFECT dual pattern layout and appears to be getting done via silkscreening if I'm not mistaken. ( Mine would only be hand painted. Yuck. ) Not to over-hype it, but Kwally's really got the best deal going. Considering as how I was willing to toss $300+ into this, his price for a mask can't be passed up on.

Wow, I never even thought of thermochromatic paint. Brilliant! I'm excited to see how your masks turn out Kwally(y)

Kwally89's effort looks like the best so far, I should know, I'm working on one myself. I've been researching leuco dyes and thermochromatic paints and found a few that look like they'd work.

One industry sales rep actually asked me why so many people are writing him asking about this in the last few days. ( Probably a bunch of fellow prop-building fans like us. ) When I told him, he thought it was a pretty cool idea but was partially upset that so many people wouldn't tell him what was going on. ( A lot of people with $$ signs in their eyes and hopes of selling masks on eBay for $780 each, perhaps? ) The sales rep was also partially relieved that at least I was willing to level with him and say WHY I wanted the dye. In fact he was so appreciative that someone finally leveled with him he started telling me all sorts of dyes and paints that he didn't bother to tell anyone else.

Based on this I have a good deal of confidence that I can make my own moving mask but Kwally89's effort has the PERFECT dual pattern layout and appears to be getting done via silkscreening if I'm not mistaken. ( Mine would only be hand painted. Yuck. ) Not to over-hype it, but Kwally's really got the best deal going. Considering as how I was willing to toss $300+ into this, his price for a mask can't be passed up on.

Glad you like my pattern and have faith in my product :D! The patterns will be silk screened and heat cured to ensure professional adhesion. The fabric is a 4 way stretch knit that is VERY stretchy but has the texture that we desire from the screen used version. If anyone wants to follow the progress, I will direct you over to therpf.
http://therpf.com/showthread.php?t=59123
Should be a fun prop!

Thanks,
Kody

Just updated the progress over on the RPF with some test pics of ink'd fabric. Lemme know what you think!
006.jpg

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?p=820422#post820422

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 1,781
Well, I knew I'd find something here about a Rorschach mask. But, it's been so long since I cruised the prop message boards, I've had to re-register with everyone but bikerscout.net.

Apparently I'm really late jumping on this ship though. I can see you have a TON of orders from here and the RPF. If you do end up making a lot of these, I definitely want one. Just let me know when and if my name gets close on your list.

*crosses fingers*

Well, I knew I'd find something here about a Rorschach mask. But, it's been so long since I cruised the prop message boards, I've had to re-register with everyone but bikerscout.net.

Apparently I'm really late jumping on this ship though. I can see you have a TON of orders from here and the RPF. If you do end up making a lot of these, I definitely want one. Just let me know when and if my name gets close on your list.

*crosses fingers*

Haha! My plan is to do a totally open run so you should be fine unless this gets REALLY big. I can handle 60-70 orders. If it gets larger, I might run out of the fabric I found, and it will be difficult to find it from another supplier. I am also going to offer non-thermochromic (doesn't change) for a lot less. Some people might be interested in one of these if they are on a budget. Feel free to post screen caps of designs you'd like to have.

Kody

Sheesh, you even plan on custom inkblots? I'll just go with whatever turns out looking the best, or is easiest for you. I haven't seen any patterns I don't like. I have to admit, sometimes I just sit and watch the blots move around on his mask in the Watchmen video game.

Wow ... just realized what a huge nerd I am.

Anyway, are you still thinking of the same price range? I'll work a street corner if I have to.

Haha! My plan is to do a totally open run so you should be fine unless this gets REALLY big. I can handle 60-70 orders. If it gets larger, I might run out of the fabric I found, and it will be difficult to find it from another supplier. I am also going to offer non-thermochromic (doesn't change) for a lot less. Some people might be interested in one of these if they are on a budget. Feel free to post screen caps of designs you'd like to have.

Kody

Been following your thread on the rpf and it looks like the mask will be awesome!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back