fibreglassing rubber knees

Ronin677

Well-Known Hunter
Hi guys

Just wondered if anyone has ever fibreglassed the inside of their rubber knees? I love mine, the shape and size is just great. However i am a bit fed up of my lovely paint jobs craking and flaking. I figured if I glassed the insides then they woud be less flexible and the paint wouldn't crack and flake.

Any opinions before I go for it (ie whether glass will adhere to rubber etc)

I have used the RC car paint recommended by people on the boards but it still cracks and flakes :(

I figured the best way is to just glass them. I will give it a go tonight and keep you all informed

The bond with the rubber & fiberglass might be an issue depending on the rubber and you may still have an issue with the paint even with the fiberglass backing as the rubber will still expand and contract with tempeture wich may still may cause the paint to crack.

Anybody know where to get fiberglass? I'm looking for the outer shell like the black you see on helmets and stuff from the master replicas helmet. I'm quessing you could dye the colors?

Maybe the best option is to buy a fiberglass ones for display, and use the rubber ones for trooping. I don't think that FG a rubber knee is a great idea.

But it's just my opinion. (y)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back