My Contribution to TDH

Right, well I've started to rebuild the master, remeasured the keyslots and have begun to replace them, they actually look straighter, so hopefully this whole backfire thing will be for the best.

I'm a lot more confident with resin now, so that's a plus point.

Anyhoo, a lot of this is using body filler and sanding it down again. Had a problem with a cheek area again, but it shouldn't take too long to fix, overall pretty positive about the experimentation and, as my friend said over a beer on Friday, each mistake is a way for you not to do it wrong next time.

Ok, small update as I have had a lot of real life work in and I need to make the money to waste on this :)

What I have done is straightened out one of the tusks ok and smoothed out the rear left quadrant of the helmet, they are now nice and smooth. I've ripped off the layer of cardboard on the other rear quadrant and have put a layer of filler over that, not so happy with the smoothing, so will fill the dinks and go over it again.

Keyslots have been measured in and look good, I will install them individually and fill any gaps so the silicone won't have chance to get into the cracks and rip them out again when it is pulled from the base.

I'm not to bothered about the visor as it's a cut away part, but I will smooth where it is close to the helmet.

Anyhoo, that's it, sorry it's not much more than that!

Thanks mate,

Suffering from flu today, yay!

Anyhoo, I spotted a cheap flight suit for £40 the other day, it came in the post and fits (just) hopefully will look good with a little weight loss :)

So looks like i'll be making a suit...

The other good news is that, because I live near Birmingham, England, I may have access to a webley flare gun to cast.

Dude, I finally have a real job, so I will be getting some $$ so, when you cast the Webley, you gotta let me know.

That'd be totally sweet ;)

Sending guns through UK post is a bit of a trouble, so it would have to be insured, just incase customs decides to keep it. Or I'd send it you in separate bits :)

First things first, I have to persuade the owner of the gun to let me cover it with gunk and cast from it first :)

Hopefully the owner wouldnt mind, I know the silicone will come off clean, maybe you could cast it in sections then piece it together and recast.

I dunno mate,

It's potentially through a friend of a friend, so i'm communicating to the guy through someone, so I have to be patient about it. It's only a slim chance I'll be able to cast it if even see it.

But fingers crossed!

Well, I am getting over the flu today but caught up on work, my phone was accidentally broken as well, so I haven't been able to take any pictures.

The keyslots are all cut and I will install them hopefully tomorrow when I am not so busy with money making work, I will take some time with them because I want it to come out in quality.

The front is just about done, I have primed it and it feels ok to the touch, a couple of undulations, but fine grit wet and dry will sort that out.

The rear quadrants are all smoothed and I began to repair on of the ear pieces and fill in underneath the model where the cardboard has degraded.

All in all, I reckon I should have it done by next week (fingers crossed), I'll have my new phone tomorrow and should be able to take some progress pics with that once it has had the initial charge sorted on it.

Also a mate made me feel like a fool when I was explaining about the whole thing to him, he said if you're making a second master from a mold, why don't you make 2, cut the ear bits off and fill in to give people a preference?

So there we go, hopefully, when I am done you'll have the option of With ears and without ears, cold cast and one of the art pieces I'll be doing at a later stage. I am very excited thinking about the contribution I can give to you mandos :)

I've also PM'd Adonian as he called first dibs on the screwup.

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds awsome vod, cant wait to see it, the screwup helm looked awsome to begin with i can only imagine what the final will look like

Quick update now I have my new phone, apologies about the blurriness, it still has the protective film over the camera lens, that's because it's a Nokia 5800 (The Nokia equivalent of an I-phone) so I'm waiting for a scratch resistant cover for it, so, in the meantime, the film stays on. I don't want a scratched touchscreen!

Also, I haven't really done that much, as you know I have been suffering from flu, I have been bedridden for a few days in and out and haven't been up to any rigorous sanding.

But here's how far I've got.

Front.jpg

As you can see the front is basically repaired, if you see where the T-visor is, you can see the troubles I had with the top layer of cardboard coming off.

The only part that needs doing is where a layer has come away on the left cheek near the ear.

Helmetside.jpg

As you can see I have been pretty busy with the car body filler and sand paper.

I have also test fitted the keyslots, this will be my next task when I am up to it of installing them and shaping them with filler.

Keyslots.jpg

I will also need to repair this earpiece as it got damaged too.

earpiece.jpg

But on another note, I've started the RF.

RFtop.jpg

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 145
  • Helmetside.jpg
    Helmetside.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 141
  • Keyslots.jpg
    Keyslots.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 126
  • earpiece.jpg
    earpiece.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 142
  • RFtop.jpg
    RFtop.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 130
im sure they will saz, i can tell your dedicated to this project, you dont seem to want to settle for anything under the par of perfection which i know your customers will love ya for.

Got paid today so I will be getting some more RTV and hopefully finishing the model next week.

I'm spending this time sorting out my end of an agreement.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back