Which version of Photoshop?

Rupidupe

Active Hunter
I'm looking at buying Photoshop and am curious what version I would need to do most of the photo editing that you see on this site and basic picture editing? I'm not a pro photographer and am not really into web design.

For basic Photoshopping you would probably do just fine with the latest version of Photoshop Elements which is basically a stripped down version of Photoshop but is much cheaper and easier to use and, from what I've read, more than adequate for the average consumer. I don't know how much you can do with Elements but it should be good enough for most basic photo editing work, if you want to get into serious retouching, restoration, and compositing work then you'd almost certainly need a full copy of Photoshop which I think is CS4. Be forewarned but that the regular edition of Photoshop will cost you several hundred dollars unless you can either qualify for an educational discount (teacher or student) or acquire through alternative means in which case it will cost you a whole lot less.

Ever try GIMP? It was originally made for Linux, but there's a version for Windows. It's free, and does quite a bit of the same work that Photoshop does.

you can get away with elements. If you want to work with RAW files then you'll need photoshop to accept CR2 files. Also there is 3 different types of RAW now. sucks you need Cs4 to open them.

Depending what kind of photo editing you may want to also consider lightroom or apeture. If you want do seroius photo manipulation you need CS4

CS3 is nice but for most people Elements more than does the job especially since the full versions of Photoshop are really pricey, especially for light home use. I personally don't recommend buy the full version of Photoshop to anyone unless they can either get a copy for either cheap or free or plan to make money off of using it and thus get a return on their investment. But if you can get a copy for cheap of free I'd go for it because there's little that you can't do with Photoshop once you know what you're doing, about the only thing it can't do is make a small and/or really blurry image crystal sharp with a few clicks of the mouse like you see in the movies, that's pretty much all Hollywood.

I use Photoshop 7 for all of my artwork/photo editing, graphics/web desgin. But that's because I can't afford $700.00 for a new version.

G-Fett

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back