Who's making your ammo. belt??

Sigh... I guess I have tried to skirt this issue long enough...

Actually some new info has surfaced recently that may help us better estimate the pouch sizes. And just so everyone knows, I do NOT have some secret measurements although I may have a few resources available that will help us out.

Sorry to take forever sith_camero... Just so many things to do and so little time. BTW, I don't think I have ever seen any of Sith Camero's work but I did help MP refine his belt. unfortunately, as with so many, he became tired of reworking things long before I became tired of giving him new things to change... :(

I was looking at my MP belt last night and to me the pouches look too tall and wide the flaps seem ok(maybe a tad wide) but the pouch bulges out too much thus ruining the proper width.

Lee,I too feel as though the MP belt is a little too big.I think he started out with the back pattern being 4",and didn't compensate for when the top flap,and bottom would bring the height to 4 1/2".The width seems about 1/2" too wide also.I'll probably upgrade AGAIN when somebody "nails" the belt :lol: For now it looks good on me since I'm 6'1" the larger belt doesn't really look that big on me.

Steve

I was messing with this a year ago and haven't really pursued it much further. Assuming his belt is 2.5" wide/tall, a 4" high pouch is too tall.

Check this comparison I did using a shot from the MoM next to a rough 4" high cardboard pouch on a 2.5" belt I was goofing with last year:

Remember...I said "rough" :)
fett_beltpouch.jpg

Notice the excess on both top and bottom? Either his belt is closer to 3" wide/tall or the pouches need to be made 3.25"-3.5" high. Which, by the way, is totally bizarre because I was almost positive his ammo pouches were at least 4" tall :p

After going over some pics today with Brak's, I'm pretty sure the vinyl belt is 3". According to Brak's, the Trooper belts are also 3". And my measurements/calculations came out to being 3". And all the measurements I got off the pouches were in the 4" ball park heighth-wise.

After a few tries I am gcoming up with 4.5" being very close to correct on height. As Tyler mentioned, it is the MP belt that is throwing everyone off cause it is 1/2" too small!!!

BTW, Tyler and I are coming up with something in the neighborhood of 1.85" for width.

Cool, I'm relieved to hear that...after messing with those pouches briefly last year and getting frustrated, I just let it sit. It's nice to come back at it with fresh eyes and fresh info from you guys. :)

Not that I'm trying to make a case for smaller pouch heights...but Jeremy must have big hands. :) Check these grabs from the buckethead movie. For me to grip my 4" high pouch like that is just about maxing out my range, and I've got 4.5" from my first knuckle on my pointer finger to the "v" where my thumb meets my hand.

ammopouch01.jpg

ammopouch05.jpg

Each strand of the girth belt is 5/16" tall. The total height of the girth belt (14 strands) is 4-3/4". There's your scale reference, look at Brak's pic and do the math.

OK,with my MP belt right next to me,and a measuring tape, here's all the pertinent specs.

belt width = 2 3/4"

pouch height = 4 1/2"

pouch width = flap is 2" while total overall is 2 1/4" taking into accordance the wraparound design of the flaps.

If it were even 4" with 1.85" it would be way too skinny I think.Figuring out these measurements are going to drive us all nuts :lol:

Steve

Finally got into "dabbling" with these tonight. :) This is just the vertical flap, using BB's 4.5x1.85 figures. The stitching is simulated, since this is only a test run. Although, if I made leather ones, I could do the same thing.....but then the stitch count would probably be off! :lol:

site1138.jpg

Just wait until I make the non-functioning vinyl pouches!

The width on that,at least on my PC screen comparison has the width at 2".When I took the belt width with my dividers,and held that measurement to the ruler you have in the pic.,it comes out to 2".Is that just the pic messing with me,or is it indeed correct?

If that's the case,I'm right on with my pouches,I'll just need a new belt.I'm thinking more,and more that it is a 3" belt from all comparison pics,and now that we're onto something concrete with the pouches to scale from.

Steve

I'm making my own...5 bucks for a wide brown belt from a second hand clothing shop and about $3.50 for vinyl. Almost finished and I've gotta say it looks a million bucks.
I used some blue packing foam to keep the pouches in shape, that I scrounged from my work....(I think it was used to pack computer monitors)
I'll try and post some pic when it's finished

Sooo... whatever became of this? :facepalm

Who's making THE "definitive" ROTJ ammo belt/pouches these days? :confused

I'm going to need a new set soon, and would like some input! :D

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back