Foam sculpt for people that has a hard time with Clay sculpt or other methods.

MerCenary

Jr Hunter
I have not seen a thread that did'nt talked about other materials to make a helmet other than cardboard, paper, clay,...

I have made 1 helmet *my first by the way* that I sculpted out of touch'n'foam (liquid styrofoam in a can).

I tryed the clay but I aint a professional when it comes to sculpting in it.

So I use styrofaom and sculpted the helmet out of it and it did a good job.

If you are a beginner like me and would like to know what are the tools you need I can post it here also.

For now here is a step-by-step progress in pictures.
http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p41/ravingspawn/uru maintainers suit/

Let me know what you think!

Thanks for looking.

That is one freaky looking helmet, very very cool, may have to try this method sometime, im pretty sure someone sculpted an iron man helmet using similar materials (y)

Its probably a dum question but what is it from? :confused

Hey FS,

The helmet is from the video game called URU:Ages beyond Myst.

I am actually making the whole suit as seen in one of the picture in the link,Making a helmet from the only known single picture there is of the complete suit is hard enough to do.

Making foam helmets is easy and light on the head? you can drop it 6' and it wont brake or be damaged.

The only thing is that it is 3/4 inches thick, I am making another different helmet by using my method(foam sculpt) for a mold instead of clay and will use your methods here using fiberglass or plastic to make the actual helmet.

Foam spray is cheaper than clay but can not be re-used for other sculpts,that the disadvantage of it. A can costs 8$ compared to the quantity of clay needed for the same project.
If its a 1 time project , foam is the cheapest way to go, if you are making several different projects well clay would end up to be cheaper.

Here are some pics of the result I got...only that when I seperated the fiberglass from the foam & plaster It all came with it. I forgot to something but the result is excellent.

I did'nt get pics of the fiberglass helmet only but these pics are with the bondo putty on it...sanding down is the next step.
GFMG001.jpg
GFMG002.jpg
GFMG003.jpg

First sculpt? Really? Well I'm impressed. Yes you can do alot with styro. You actaully can sand it very smooth. You can glass over it if you seal it with tin foil. Try using spray adhesive to stick the foil on. Once glassed you can desovle the foam with acetone or dig it out. This method can be great if you want to make a quick one off part pretty cheaply. For my Briareos helmet I started with a reject casting of my Iron Man helmet, then sprayed "great stuff" foam on top of it. Worked out most of the shape in the foam. Then skinned it in bondo and apoxie sculpt. It easily could have been a one off part by using styro to start, glassing that and then add bondo and stuff. Anyway.... nice work!

Here is the progress with the bondo and primer,the jaw part should have been more narrrow but I would not have been able to put the helmet on so I went to the tightest fit.

GFMG1002.jpg

GFMG1001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i used the template for the ROTJ Fett but I found that the dome template was just to awkward to deal with so i used some foam lying around the house and it turned out great

Boba-Fett-Armor-Update-2-113059466

After 1 coat of bondo and 3 bondo touch ups & sanding, 2 coats of primer and 4 coats of paint it is almost complete.

There is still the padding inside to do and find a red led light so that it can have a glowing light between the eyes.

This is the METAL GEAR GREY FOX HELMET.

GFMG1005.jpg

This is with the detail added:

GFMG25001.jpg
GFMG2003.jpg
GFMG2002.jpg

What do you think?
:facepalm
I'm I good enough to make a Fett Bucket? :confused

CYBORG NINJA! GREY FOX! :D

Looks pretty good, dude, and definitely try a Fett helmet! Don't limit yourself to what you want to try; try whatever you want to do! Any experience is better than no experience :D

I'm presently waiting for some nice days to begin fiberglassing my Daft Punk helmet :O

EDIT::: Oh, and I forgot to ask, how can you see out of it? Are the slits beside the center red "eye" actually tinted lenses? That, to me, would seem the easiest option... if you wanted to get game accurate, though, and use the center red "eye", it would have to be a wireless camera, hooked to small sunglass size monitors inside the mask... but that might get expensive.

CYBORG NINJA! GREY FOX! :D

Looks pretty good, dude, and definitely try a Fett helmet! Don't limit yourself to what you want to try; try whatever you want to do! Any experience is better than no experience :D

I'm presently waiting for some nice days to begin fiberglassing my Daft Punk helmet :O

EDIT::: Oh, and I forgot to ask, how can you see out of it? Are the slits beside the center red "eye" actually tinted lenses? That, to me, would seem the easiest option... if you wanted to get game accurate, though, and use the center red "eye", it would have to be a wireless camera, hooked to small sunglass size monitors inside the mask... but that might get expensive.

A relatively cheap way of doing it would be to cannabilize a toy called an Eyeclops Night Vision Goggle, they run for around $70 or so and it's an actual functioning IR device. The range is a bit limited but can be extended with an attached IR light that glows red and although it's called a goggle you can only see out of one eye as the other eye is where one of two sets of IR lights sit.

Anyhow, it might be possible to cannabilize one of these "toys" and fit into the helmet and somehow expand the viewer so that you can see it with both eyes (without stereoscopic vision though). However, I have no idea how well IR devices work in the light, these are meant to work in the dark but it might still work in the light. At the very least if you had one fitted you would be one of the few people with a full bucket on that can actually see in the dark.

Thanks Xero,

I can see very well through the eye slots as good as the fett helmet ,I used ski goggles
lenses for the eyes, the middle red circle is where the light will be installed...when I find one.

Hey Riceball,

Thanks for the tip on this one,

I checked the Eyeclops night vision goglles http://eyeclopsnightvision.com/

I'll go and check it out and looks cool.

Glad I could be of help. From what I've read they work fairly well with the only limitations being that with only of the two sets of lights on you can't see that far and you only get mono vision. I'm sure it's possible to get a more powerful set of IR lights that don't produce any visible light and maybe with a little bit electronics knowledge it might be possible to cannibalize the eyepiece from a second set of Eyeclops so you can see out of both eyes.

You know, it would be pretty cool to make a macrobinocular prop with the guts of an Eyeclops inside. You wouldn't have any of the graphics inside but it would be a functional prop, even if it doesn't work exactly the way it's supposed to.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back