Journeyman's ESB Jumpsuit w/ vest

Thanks guys :)

I can't wait to see this material in a jumpsuit. Once dirtied and perhaps faded a bit I will be a happy Fetter...

While eventually I will do an EU Fett, as I've mentioned, I think that I will only shoot for a standard ESB for Comic-con...

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
That pic is a pull-out poster from the Star Wars Galaxies #1 magazine. It is one of the better front and back ref photos we have of the ESB suit, though the photo suffers from the same color cast problem as almost all ESB shots.

One thing about the color of the fabric. After studying many photos of both the ROTJ and ESB suit with Rouge Studios, I think you will find a hard time matching the exact color, because we believe the suit was dyed. Yeah I know it's a pain in the butt to dye, but I really think that is how the originals were made.

Great work, Phil. Lack of ref photos be damned, you've just steam rolled into that ESB Fett! Keep it going!

Thanks for the hoorah, TD :)

I know both photos are pretty washed out, particularly the front-on one. The back photo shows the jumpsuit pretty well, and while being still washed out from the lighting, I think it's undeniable that the jumpsuit is blue. Am I wrong?

I know I won't find the exact color, but personally I'm happy with this color and intend this jumpsuit to be my last :)

Definitely more pics as things come together :)

Phil

JMP,I absolutely agree that the ESB jumpsuit is positively blue in nature.A baby blueish to my eyes as that's what my jumpsuit is,and it looks great IMHO,and will look even better dirty.Good choice for yours too :)

Steve

Sorry for the OT post - but is there anyone willing to scan that ESB Fett pull-out picture?
I really dont have any reference on ESB Fett & would love to have a scanned copy of that full-page pullout in my hard drive if possible.
Thanks!

Mardon

mlcallanta, you can get a good reference on the ESB fett by getting the Marmit Boba Fett figure. I think it's the most acurate source for ESB Fett on a 1/6 scale. ;)

THat looks pretty Dang good to me JMP! I'm trying to figure out where the chrome areas are, but its hard to tell, (that light grey looks awesome.) From what I can tell from the pics, you are doing an EXCELLENT job there! Really looks like you got the topical technique down! Personally, I can't get topicall applications to look authentic, (always looks dabbed on,) :lol: but yours looks great, & the scrathing through method is really workin for ya there. Can't wait to see more pics when you get to the dome area! (y)

As always, I'm bowled over by your work, JMP. Exellent weathering job there!

You say the green is "like" Lee's green. I assume it's not the actual 1943 Panzer green. I think it looks a little more RotJ than ESB. Are you turning? Have you seen the light? ;) or is it just the lighting in the photo.

What is the green. If it's available in the UK, I might have look at it. Me likey a lot!

Great work.

Si

Lookin' sweet Phil! :D

Wish I could get my topical weathering to look that authentic. It's what I used on my gauntlets, and I like how they came out, but, I just couldn't do it with any level of accuracy.

Nice progress on the suit . . . I really gotta hurry my buns up! :)

Jer

Thanks for the kind words guys. This is the first helmet I've done that started to look anywhere near like I wanted it to. The chrome is very minimal and appears only in the right light. I think it will probably never show up in pictures...

The green is a custom airbrushed mixture that a friend allowed me to use. I'm told it's slightly lighter than Lee's color. I haven't seen Lee's in person so I can't verify that.

The first thing I'm learning for topical application is that you have to use spray paint. Anything else seems to thick and bulky and will look like it is on top. The spray is very thin and lies flat. I sprayed it into the spray can lid and used a paint brush to apply it where I wanted it. Light grey first, dark grey next and in a smaller area, leaving the light grey exposed around the edges as pictured. Then just use a fine tipped x-acto knife to scrape the edges and sculpt the weathering as you like it. If you screw up you can always put more on top and work it again. It gives me a lot of control.

I tried using a sponge, I just couldn't get any control over it. Looked like a faux finishing, and I don't want that.

I need to add quite a bit more damage to the visor area as well as finding a nice washed out purple/dark red to highlight a couple areas, then it'll be on to the rest of the helmet.

Thanks again guys!
PHil

Thanks for the info Phil.

So . . . if I'm reading it right, you're saying you can actually scrape off the top layer of, let's say chrome for example, and not have it affect the underlying base green colour?

I'd assume you'd let it dry completely before scraping it off?

Jer

Absolutely :)

Just put the layers on in reverse order. What you want the bottom layer to be should be the last to go on. It seems to me that the dark grey would be the bottom and the lighter color in the middle with red on top. That's my take, do it anyway you like though :)

When you apply the last layer just do it as accurately as you can because you'll basically be leaving it alone. You may have to fine-tune the edges etc depending on how movie-accurate you want it. I didn't go for absolute accurism, just something like it. Just scrape lightly where you want light grey exposed, harder where you want red.

I had put chrome on top of everything. I scraped almost all of it off, not liking the look. Very tiny strands of it remain and catch the light at times. It looks neat to me :)

Just decide how you think you want it layered, then reverse lay them.

Hope this helps,
Phil

That's why I love coming here . . . sure does help! :)

I might try and clean up some spots on my gauntlets that didn't come out how I'd like them to.

Thanks bud!
Jer

Lookin' good Phil! :)

I wish I had a helmet looking half as good!

Hell, I wish I had a helmet! :lol:

Cheers!
TJ

Just noticed you did a little more work on your dome/cheek areas JMP. I'm starting to get sick & tired of looking at all your stuff & having to give you praise, But you just keep on outdoing yourself & produce such wonderfull work! Love what your doing there & "keep on keepin on!" {Joe Dirt}, or should I say, "Journeyman Dirt?" :lol: Love the way you keep postin update pics, & can't wait to see more bud!

lol, thanks for the compliments JK :)

You don't need to keep telling me how great anything is. I just post the updates so, hopefully, people can tell me if it looks alright or needs some work :) This is the best weathering I've ever done and while it's far from perfect I am VERY happy with the overall layered effect.

The major part of the last update was the custom mixed gold on the right ear, does it look alright?

PHil

Very nice Phil, I like the way your helmet is turning out. I am getting ideas for when I do my MHK. ;)

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back