Scratch building the AOTC helmet.

clonesix

Active Hunter
Would anyone here be interested in attempting to scratch build an EpII helmet from scratch?

Of all the helmets I have seen come down the pike, only the efx helmet seems close enough, but then not completly close. You know what I mean; it's missing it's bottom. I really feel it needs to be there, the bottom, that is.

The reason that companies like efx leave them off, is to be wearable. The majority of people who buy their product, would like to be able to put the helmet on. That is hard to do with the neck ring.

How many people here are like me and want the whole enchilada: Accurate to digital model, neck ring, tail light, and doesn't pinch the nose? (add to that fiber re-inforcement rather than just resin)

How many people would like Wizard of Flight templates that you can print at home? This helmet can be done in sheet stock very nicely.

I have done this once before, and have never been completely happy with the model that I built in 2003. I have had some practice since then, and I would sure like to see this redone.

Let's kick around some ideas about measurements and geometry. In the sense of uniform discussion, let's name and catalog the details of this helmet.

Start with:

3270417303_c4613e405c_m.jpg

The #1 thing is the brow line. That is the anchor. Above the brow-line: the dome. Below the brow-line: the visor. View the brow from above, and it is a disk.

3270497455_0b0fb44e8c_m.jpg

It is actually an elipse, longer one axis than another. Once cut, it becomes the template for the rest of the helmet build. The dome and visor anchor to the disk.

3271237726_91c8433507_m.jpg

Here is a list of names that I have come up with so that when anyone refers to a section, everyone else know what they mean, At least I hope it will work that way. Feel free to discuss.

[/img]photo removed for size.

I am open to suggestions as to what to name that little quadrilateral behind the ear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think one of the major factors is the chin, its quite misleading to look at and the whole mouth/frown area seems quite flat if you look at it from side on, also getting the lower swoop of the chin right is key I think, I'm excited to see you undertake this project as your EP2 clone helmets are the best there is already, I am no expert but if I can help in anyway then you can count on it

Awesome. I wish I had your skills in working with that foam. This will be a thread to definitely watch. (y)

Is this a community project or are you building this? Not sure I follow what you are talking about here. Some of my bewilderment is from my encounter with you at C3, but If you are making this available to the entire community then this would indeed be a great project.

Is this a community project or are you building this? Not sure I follow what you are talking about here.

Some of my bewilderment is from my encounter with you at C3,

but If you are making this available to the entire community then this would indeed be a great project.

1. Good question, thank you for asking. I typed that out last night before going to bed, and just re-read it now. It can stand some clarifying. I have already done this project once, and may attempt this again based on information and tecniques learned since. I started this thread to be the first helmet 'building' thread, as opposed to a 'modified,' or "HEAVILY" modified thread. Hopefully, it can be "sticky'd" as a reference for clone helmet building. If enough reference material can be stored here, it can be as useful as many ofther TDH's costuming catagories.

2. Color me bewildered too, as CIII was 4 years ago, and your statement is pretty vague. Feel free to pm me if you wish to remind me.

3. Thank you, "this" can be a great project. By "this," I mean this thread, and yes, it is available to the entire community. Anyone is free to repost it in one of the other clone reference areas of the net. I hope this thread will inspire those to attempt their own versions of this helmet. Please don't get the wrong idea that "this" is a business announcement, for the purpose of contacting a customer base.

Lastly, I tried to do some photoshop work to name all the areas of the helmet. I am not very good at photoshop, so it will take a little longer.

Why do I want to name every single part of the helmet? So that when references are made to any one area, everyone is on the same page.

There are the easy ones like the dome, or the ear, but what about the visor? There is the visor which is the see-thru part, and the visor that is the shield part (cant see-thru)

This is going to be great. The Clonesix helmet was one of the first big undertakings I remember as I got into all of this.

Are there really *no* completely fan sculpted Phase 1 clone helmets? I figured SOMEONE would have done it by now!

If I had the time/work bench space I could possibly help out some more, I've done my best to convert the Hasbro helmet to an Episode 2 clone helmet but there are still many areas that I am unhappy with, what foam is that you are using to carve the dome shape with?

Very cool clonesix.

I've been waiting for you to do this. I remember you once told you that you weren't happy with your earlier version. And you always wanted to redo it, but there was no time.

Can't wait. I've been wanting an accurate helmet since Episod II came out.
:D

Would anyone here be interested in attempting to scratch build an EpII helmet ..?
I'm in the process of doing this myself, here's where the project is at while I complete other things, I'm yet to model any of the finer details, and the snout area is a bit of a mess.
ep2WIP-1.jpg

The model is based on machine drawings of the EFX helmet, which according to their PR dept, was based on a character file from ILM so the proportions at least should be correct. One thing I found interesting while modelling this low poly version of the helmet, is that (based on EFX's drawings) the dome isn't hemispherical, it has a rather squashed top, almost like the shape of a grapefruit, but thinner at the sides if you get me.

That looks very nice nzj. It looks to be a very nice representation of the digital model. I hope you dont mind if I use that .jpg for some examples? I still want to post a pic with everything named.

Can something like that be made in Pepakura? That would be a very nice addition to this thread, if there was a pep file available to folks would would like to print one out for themselves and add it to card stock.

Not at all, be my guest :)

OK, I did. I added the pic to the first post.

Here are are the names for helmet are areas. I just realized that this photo is missing a legend for all the numbered ares for the rear of the helmet. See below:

3276193072_1fca035945_o.jpg

1. Medallion
2. Spinal triangles (or Traingles)
3. Rear Vent
4. Inner hull
5. Outter Hull
6. thingy

I am open to suggestions on #6

After the disk, the ears seem to be the next step. They have some properties that help with other parts of the helmet. The ears are vertical, and horizontally parallel. They are also a clear dividing point between front and back.

So, heres the math so far: The Disk is 8.5" wide. The Ears ar 0.5" wider than the Disk. The widest area of the Outer Hull is 0.5" wider than the Ear. So the widest points of the helmet is roughly 10.5"

Will this be approximately the same size as your previous clone helmet? I've started modding a Kelloggs helmet, but the more I compare it to actual screen shots, the more I think I would be better off just building one from scratch. I look forward to following this thread. :)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back