Bronze Webley replica UPDATE 2/15!

phantomfett wrote:

Any chance of getting one without the stock and bracket? No really, this is a serious question.

sure... These are cast in the time honored tradition of lost wax casting :) it is not a precise method but it offers the ability to change things. the guns are cast in three pieces as pictured. I can cut out the bracket and and fill in the gaps with wax. attaching elemtents may require some figuring out but nothing a drill and tap set can't fix. For example, if you still want a MK1No1 - but Jedi version, I will cut the barrel an inch off from the base to accomodate a Jedi conversion.

I would like to add that I only have the elements to make the bare gun and presently do not offer or plan to offer conversion kits or the like.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the design on the grip supposed to be there or not? I noticed that it was different in each pic. I know this is probably common knowledge to all of you but I have never seen the real deal.

Yes the design is there. In addition, I will be leaving the grip golden (natural) bronze like the original as well.

Thought I would share with you a progress pic of the Webleys. I started out by cleaning a few but the barrels are still at the foundry. I should be swinging to a higher gear starting January.
webgroup.jpg

If we requested to be on list how soon do you need payment I got it ready to fire off just say the word.

***UPDATE NOTE***
primary list for these are closed. I will fill all outstanding orders before beginning any new ones. I should have primary list completed by May or June. Please note new price of $385 shipped for a complete replica. The price of $210 shipped stands for rough casting. Thanks

I'm sorry for taking so long to post up a finished pic of the NO.1Mk.1 Webley flare gun. I had so many prop related functions that finding time has been difficult. What I have to show here is a finished replica. It still features the loading action but now I have all the hardware in great working order. It actually 'clicks' and locks when the barrel is swung closed. The finish on it is M20 (I believe it is used for gun blueing) On bronze it makes a deep black or when applied lighter, a rich brown. The gun looks old and used... the way I like it. The stocks is a rich maroon. Although Chrima will be making them more dark brown, I rather like the color shown. Here are a few pics:

1) This is the finished piece along side two recently cast elements. The barrel is still on the gating system with the investment still clinging. The reciever shows how the handle is cut open on the bracket side to make the gun lighter due to no internal structure. The 'cap' or plug will be welded on and the handle will be sanded down and finished. This is to illustrate the process and to give a look at the middle point of production.
webleydone.jpg

2) This picture shows a comparison of a real Webley Mk1No1. In fact, the same Webley used to mold. There is little difference in size and weight from a real gun... but because of the casting process, the barrel wall is a bit thicker and smaller, making it difficult to fit a flash tube in it. I will be looking into substitutes - and possibly ways to clean up the barrel to accomodate a tube.
Webleycompare.jpg

I have been overwhelmed with the interest in these and YES, I will still produce them. I have decided that I can only make about 5 a month. Perhaps more, but I wish to remain sane. :) Due to the amount of work involved, the asking price is $385 shipped. International orders require more shipping.
I figure the fairest way to get these out will be to make a sign up sheet. The only problem is that so many have already contacted me a long time ago that I would like to serve them fairly.
So what I am asking is to judge the time you wish to alow and I will slot you in as appropriately as possible. I will be able to cut barrels and what not... just ask.

Please send ALL requests concerning the Webley to this address:

webleyno1mk1@sbcglobal.net

oh - please include board name and how you would like the piece (i.e. complete or cut barrel, rough casting ($210 shipped) etc.)
and chemical coloring is optional (it will be dark black with golden highlights)... painting may be prefered in which I will leave the gun cleaned bronze.

*Note* These are cast replicas using the lost wax method. It is by no means a machined or precision piece. If you count the number of pits and tiny flaws in a replica, please spare yourself the time for these are NOT perfect and each will be unique. I do my best to make these work well and look good.

Oh man oh man oh man

*breath*

Oh man oh man oh man

I need a paperbag, I think I'm hyperventilating. :)

Jer

:eek: Awesome!!!

Cuse my ignorance, but will this work into a ROTJ Blaster too?

Many thanks!

Stay safe.

yeah i'm with halo... do they work with ROTJ. Also if you get the $210 deal how hard is it to finish it up?

Thanks

Yep, you can do a couple things to make it a ROTJ.

1 have Hand Shaub cut down the barrel so you can add on the front part.

2. Make a sleeve to fit over the front part for ROTJ.

I do know that obi1kenny on the RPF is working on a machined aluminum ROTJ peice to fit these.

Also on the wood stocks, the one in the pic is a prototype. The wood I will be using is very close in the grain and weight. I am still experimenting with color, but really the color on the real guns varies anyway. I am primarily trying to match the original wood stock that I am using for my templates.

Anyway, these will be the next best thing to the real deal.

Later,

Chris

Is the optional chemical coloring a good option for doing an ESB blaster? I assuming the one pictured has it,and it looks fantastic! I'm thinking it would be a good idea for the ESB,but wanted some opinions.

With regards to fitting a flash tube in the barrel,wouldn't a dremel with a sanding wheel,and some grinding stones/wheels be able to custom fit a flash tube in the barrel by removing enough material from the inside?

Steve

thanks for all the great comments.

The coloring would be as accurate as I can get it. THis is the same chemical used to darken guns but on bronze it's a bit more brown. The original ESB gun was 'unspoiled' so a stock Webley and its 'natural' color is the biggest part of an accurate prop (golden grip and all).

The barrels may be made to accomodate a tube by sanding and what not. I have yet to do this so I don't want to give a deffinate yes right away. It will make the metal pretty thin but with the tube inserted it will have strength. Either way, give me a bit of time and I'll try it out.

The clean up on these are not a cake walk - especially when fitting elemnets together. It's not like a model kit where sand paper is enough. A general idea about metal working and some proper tools are needed. As you can see form the recently cast pieces, there are some pretty big chunks of metal to grind through.

Thanks Chrima for answering thos questions as well. Yes, the same gun was used as a base in Jedi but the prop was a cast resin piece I believe.

Thanks for answering my questions HS :) Sounds,and certainly looks like your chemical coloring option is certainly worth it to me. :)

email back atcha'

Thanks agian,
Steve

This thread is more than 21 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back