Mando Dreamcast? !WIP! LOTS OF PICS!!!

DarthTB

New Hunter
Ok while I may love costuming, and I do my first passion has always been videogame consoles and the modification of said consoles. In the spirit of TDH (And to make sure I get the colors down right for my costume) I have decided to modify an old dreamcast case in a Mandalorian theme doing my best to dupilicate the scheme of Boba Fett's helmet. Even though I've been doing this particular type of project for awhile now I am always open to suggestions as any good "artist" (and I use the term very loosely here) should be I am open to any advice anyone may have for techniques especially with Mando designs and other things that they think may make this project even better. As I didnt see any other place for something like this to go I figured that it would probably sit well in props and such so here it is. I do have some pictures that I will add here very shortly

IMG_4011.jpg

The beginning of a beautiful thing... or a major disaster? Who knows, only time will tell, we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the 1st set of pictures from the project and where I stand as of right now on Febuary 9th.

1)
IMG_4012-1.jpg
2)
IMG_4013.jpg
3)
IMG_4025.jpg
4)
IMG_4026.jpg

1) This is the Dreamcast modem. All dreamcasts came with one installed so unless you want a struggle finding the 4th screw in the case take this off first its not difficult to do and you wont crack your case.

2) Here the lid is removed and all the guts are showing. Dont forget to put the system its self in a dust/static bag or you run the risk of frying all the guts

3) The underside of the lid with some trusty blue painters tape the real trick is getting the line around the rim just right as in picture number 4

4) You can see where i have the tape right around the edge of the rim so it doesnt get the lid painted to the actual case because I'm going to paint it with the lid closed so it keeps it from sticking so it will still open and you can put games in.

5)
IMG_4028.jpg
6)
IMG_4030.jpg
7)
IMG_4035.jpg
8)
IMG_4034.jpg

5) Ok here is where the buttons on the face of the DC have been removed so that when the painting is done they can go back in and still work

6) I got some painters tape into the holes for the buttons and also over the translucent peice of plastic where the LED will shine through that is standard on the DC

7) This is the Dreamcast logo covered with blue tape to keep it intact. I might paint over it later but I dunno right now.

8) This is the underside of the case, the part that is usually right above the guts and you can see that I have it taped down so that it wont move while i'm spraying it

9)
IMG_4032.jpg
10)
IMG_4039.jpg
11)
IMG_4038.jpg
12)
IMG_4037.jpg

9) Ofcourse for paint I used Rust-O. In the spray painting forum it said to use aluminium for the silver base but I've used the hammered texture paint before and really liked the effect so I used it again. Also and I dont think its said enough use proper protection when using spray paint. This includes a mask/bandanna that I dont have in this picture.

10) Now that we are all protected from the spray paint we are ready for the fun part! YAY!

11) This is a spray test just to see what kind of coating I'm gonna get with the spray etc. I determined that 2 even coats would be enough

12) Here we can see the side and the really cool effect that the hammered textured paint gives to the look

13)
IMG_4036.jpg

13) And here is where I am as of right now, just gonna wait for the paint to dry overnight and while I am in class/ at work and then gonna get to work on the next layer of paint. The green!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back