Clone Trooper undersuit

It SEAMS to me that this would be best as two piece, a shirt and pants.

So we would need a neckseal, attached to the shirt. For the shirt the
sleeves, and yokes of the shirt would be ribbed. The main part of the chest and back could be a mesh, or cooling material. Does any ribbing to show on the sides of the torson? How important is the ribbing around the waist area?

For the legs, the ribbing is needed almost completely on the pants.
The only way to add a little air circulation for the pants would be, basically, strips of mesh material down the front and back of the legs. The rest would need to be ribbed.

Suggestions?

please forgive the awful paint attempt....
What about something like this......

CLONEARMOR.jpg

yeah this is the idea Debbi of your drawing vertical strips ;) and yes the neck seal would be attached to the undersuit too..shame it cant be made as one whole item or can it ??

It SEAMS to me that this would be best as two piece, a shirt and pants.

So we would need a neckseal, attached to the shirt. For the shirt the
sleeves, and yokes of the shirt would be ribbed. The main part of the chest and back could be a mesh, or cooling material. Does any ribbing to show on the sides of the torson? How important is the ribbing around the waist area?

For the legs, the ribbing is needed almost completely on the pants.
The only way to add a little air circulation for the pants would be, basically, strips of mesh material down the front and back of the legs. The rest would need to be ribbed.

Suggestions?

The main parts to focus where the ribbing shows as from the photos from AOTC is in between the armour areas with this being said the ribbing certainly shows more around the clones upper chest/neck - neck seal areas.

Okay. First off no laughing. This is what my buddy and I use under or clone trooper armor. Yes it is ladies clothing, but it was the closest material we could find. It isn't that bad on the heat side due the looser weave.

http://www.roamans.com/clothing/Rib-knit-Square-neck-tunic.aspx?PfId=82860&DeptId=9816&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=3&pref=cs&pos=2

They have pants, shirts, tunics, etc. We bought pants and shirts plus a tunic all in black for extra material to make the neck piece. I just hemed the pieces for a better fit and cut off the excess. I am sure Debbi could do a much better job with it, but it works and is really close to the look.

please forgive the awful paint attempt....
What about something like this......

CLONEARMOR.jpg

That would work Debbie, but what kind of material? This would probably resemble Vader's black suit that most Vader costumers wear including the mesh. I'm thinking maybe making it with cotton fabric with the pipes sewn with batting material to puff them up a bit. :confused

It would seam to me that it has to have some stretch. I was thinking more along the lines of lycra somehow. I would have to play around with it. Maybe a cotton lycra.

Hey everyone I like the ideas being thrown around! I worked on the Sci-Fire prototypes and and have been working a few new patterns! These are the pics of the latest prototype!
DSC09283.JPG

DSC09278.JPG

I've got some more fabric on order to try some different things out, one actually has the the ribbing in it already! But well see what it looks like when it get here! I'll keep you posted on progress!

Hey Lee,

That under suit looks perfect! What type of material is it? Hopefully it's breathable fabric coz it is definitely a match! Thanks for the info!

So, would you say the ribbing runs vertically, except for the neckseal, which runs horizontally?

The reference I have suggests that there is either no ribbing at all on the neck seal or the ribbing is vertical on the neck seal. The horizontal lines are just folds from excess material.

Hey everyone I like the ideas being thrown around! I worked on the Sci-Fire prototypes and and have been working a few new patterns! These are the pics of the latest prototype!
DSC09283.JPG

DSC09278.JPG

I've got some more fabric on order to try some different things out, one actually has the the ribbing in it already! But well see what it looks like when it get here! I'll keep you posted on progress!

How thick/heavy is that material? Will it absorb sweat pretty well?

This is what I use. The Craft undersuit partially achieves the ribbed look; the spacing between the lines is not as wide as I'd like them to be. Had to use a Sharpie black pen to remove the white threads. Got them from Backcountry and Trisports awhile back ago. Am looking for alternatives.
729364778_6ce71342c3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
THIS LOOKS GREAT TO ME!!

No need to try to improve on perfection!

DSC09283.JPG

DSC09278.JPG

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back